Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

It's because Maric wasn't getting a game. We'd recruited Jacobs to be our ruckman, didn't want Maric in our first 22 anymore and no one wanted to see him rot in the SANFL.

Gunston was someone we desperately wanted to keep who decided to leave.

They are polar opposite situations, hence the polar opposite attitudes towards them.

It's also why Maric came to the B&F and Gunston didn't. No one would begrudge Maric leaving for an opportunity. Gunston had an opportunity with us unlike Maric, he just thought we were a s**t club and wanted to go to a better club. Hard to remain pals after that.

Given where our club finds itself, we could probably reassess gunstons decision and come to terms with it. Especially considering the club he went to. We shouldn't be bitter, he sacked us for a better employer.

He was a highly sought after, up and coming Victorian talent who was out of contract. And as of late September he hadn't signed!

We think this equals "everything is on track,
signature is a formality"

Let's assume the club was telling the truth for a second. Their story is that Gunston had come to negotiations, seemingly in good faith, and had verbally committed to sign after those negotiations finished.

If that is true, why would we assume that the signing was anything but a formality?

Of course, the club could have been making stories up, but I haven't really seen any good reason to assume they were. It's not like it paints them in any better light.

How many times would a player have walked out on a club and the club said, yeah we knew he was leaving?

He was on track to sign for us... why don't you just sign it now then Jack? ... umm, I didn't bring a pen, I'll do it later I promise

Let's assume the club was telling the truth for a second. Their story is that Gunston had come to negotiations, seemingly in good faith, and had verbally committed to sign after those negotiations finished.

If that is true, why would we assume that the signing was anything but a formality?

Of course, the club could have been making stories up, but I haven't really seen any good reason to assume they were. It's not like it paints them in any better light.

Highly unlikely we mis-read the situation? I'm not prepared to hang gunston out to dry based only on the assumption that our footy dept is competent. I just saw Mackay get a 4 year deal. Prior to the lost picks, our footy dept has performed averagely at best. Leads me to err on the side of us effing up as opposed to us applying best practice by the best in the business and being unlucky.

Lyons could not possibly stay after this season. Plus Thommo looks like going on plus M Crouch has been brought in as the long term plan.

Are we the only club that can only fit in one genuine inside ball winner? Personally, I'd have half a dozen in my best 21 feeding the ball to outside runners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's because Maric wasn't getting a game. We'd recruited Jacobs to be our ruckman, didn't want Maric in our first 22 anymore and no one wanted to see him rot in the SANFL.

Gunston was someone we desperately wanted to keep who decided to leave.

They are polar opposite situations, hence the polar opposite attitudes towards them.

It's also why Maric came to the B&F and Gunston didn't. No one would begrudge Maric leaving for an opportunity. Gunston had an opportunity with us unlike Maric, he just thought we were a s**t club and wanted to go to a better club. Hard to remain pals after that.

That's all fine. But the argument was that there was a long list WANTING out.

Gunstan and Tippett wanted out. But where is the long list?

Bock and Davis were offered once in a lifetime deals that they would have been stupid to refuse. Maybe a case that Bock wouldn't have minded escaping the Adelaide media after the handbag incident...... maybe.

The Age even reported that Gunstan's manager told the AFC he was going to sign and organised an 11am meeting. Gunstan walked in said he was homesick and leaving on a 2pm flight. If it were Rooch or the HUN I'd question it.

The whole theory posed is tin foil hat stuff with so many flaws, and given the level of proof a certain poster demands of others but then posts fabrications himself, smacks of a high level of hipocracy and an agenda to score internetz pointz.

I thought that was next year - he intends to play, regardless of where.

Fair enough.

I'm happy for him to play on - but we've got to manage him and use him differently.

Definitely deserves next year, but as you say, needs to be used differently. 3 on 1 off is a bit simplistic, but managed to benefit his form and us. His first few minutes after his injury were awesome, had significant zip. Sadly didn't carry throughout the entire game. I'm certain that I read a post that claimed he was expecting to play in 2016. Think it was a sober moment. I'll see if I can find it, was a respectable poster from memory.

I thought that was next year - he intends to play, regardless of where.

Fair enough.

I'm happy for him to play on - but we've got to manage him and use him differently.

Was Wood_Duck. Here it is. I wonder if he's reviewed his expectations. I'd suggest pods probably thought he had a couple of good years left in him as well.

I tend to agree. I heard Thommo in an interview earlier in the year say that he is contracted til the end of next year and that if the Crows didnt give him a new contract he would consider playing elsewhere. I dont think Thommo is all over where he is at.

That's all fine. But the argument was that there was a long list WANTING out.

Gunstan and Tippett wanted out. But where is the long list?
Even if we give pardon over Bock and Davis (I don't but anyway) two high quality 10 year forwards is the longest list of crucial losses I can ever remember a club losing over a two year period. There are maybe 6-8 untouchables at any one time on any list and we lost a quarter of ours.

Bock and Davis were offered once in a lifetime deals that they would have been stupid to refuse. Maybe a case that Bock wouldn't have minded escaping the Adelaide media after the handbag incident...... maybe.
These once in a lifetime deal were threats to all clubs, not just us. Who else lost two crucial talls?

The Age even reported that Gunstan's manager told the AFC he was going to sign and organised an 11am meeting. Gunstan walked in said he was homesick and leaving on a 2pm flight. If it were Rooch or the HUN I'd question it.

The whole theory posed is tin foil hat stuff with so many flaws, and given the level of proof a certain poster demands of others but then posts fabrications himself, smacks of a high level of hipocracy and an agenda to score internetz pointz.
What theory is tin foil hat stuff?

The theory is that Gunston was looking elsewhere and as a result put off re-signing with us, something everyone except us seemed to realise leaving us blindsided when he broke the bad news. If we're expecting full, complete disclosure and honesty from player managers during contract discussions...

Maybe Justin Reid is exactly what we need after all.

The tin foil hat stuff is that of all the hundreds of players in the league, we've landed the only two bad blokes.

Lyons could not possibly stay after this season. Plus Thommo looks like going on plus M Crouch has been brought in as the long term plan.
Why is that ?? He has been in and around the squad all season and has finished off well. He will stay.

Why is that ?? He has been in and around the squad all season and has finished off well. He will stay.
I reckon though the last couple of off seasons he has been where he is now. Had a taste and next season is where he'll be first 22. Then next season rolls around and it's similar to the last.

I reckon though the last couple of off seasons he has been where he is now. Had a taste and next season is where he'll be first 22. Then next season rolls around and it's similar to the last.
Difference for me is he is still in the side along with Thommo and MCrouch. Beginning of the season we couldn't play 2 of them now all 3 are in, he has also survives when the injury list is at its lowest. The guy loves it here and loves the club, IMO he unlikely to leave.

Difference for me is he is still in the side along with Thommo and MCrouch. Beginning of the season we couldn't play 2 of them now all 3 are in, he has also survives when the injury list is at its lowest. The guy loves it here and loves the club, IMO he unlikely to leave.
Hope you're right!

I'd trade Wright first, such a pity Otten got injured cos I'd ship him off too.

So when they talk about Maric why do they talk favourably about Maric. "We would have liked to keep him, but he sought greater opportunity".

There is absolutely no evidence for your theory. You apply the burden of proof to other posters but fail to produce any for your conspiracy theories.

If you think the maric and Gunston situations are comparable, then I've been overrating you for quite some time :thumbsu:

How long do you think is reasonable between agreement and signing?

If you think the maric and Gunston situations are comparable, then I've been overrating you for quite some time :thumbsu:

I don't, but your theory relies in a long list of players "wanting out" and some evidence that the AFC needs to spin things.

I was searching through the evidence. ...

All I can see is a big self-fellator who's too smug to realise the lights are on and the curtains are open and everyone can see in.

And the flavour is being well enjoyed.

I don't, but your theory relies in a long list of players "wanting out" and some evidence that the AFC needs to spin things.

I was searching through the evidence. ...

We've seen your analytical data & evidence gathering powers before :D

Unsurprisingly you've missed the point being about the players who did leave, not "wanting to leave".

All I can see is a big self-fellator who's too smug to realise the lights are on and the curtains are open and everyone can see in.

Those banner ads? They reflect your viewing habits ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back