Retired Jarryn Geary

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Advocate 2016: The Jack Pack
Player Advocate 2017: nanganator

Code:
Pos Number Player       Age   Games    Price         2013                 2012                  2011                  2010                 2009                 2008                  2007  
                              Played  DT      SC     Played DT Avg SC Avg Played DT Avg SC Avg  Played DT Avg  SC Avg Played DT Avg SC Avg Played DT Avg SC Avg Played DT Avg SC Avg  Played DT Avg SC Avg
DEF 14 GEARY, Jarryn    25    93    $383,800 $386,800 21    70.8    79.8    20    64.3    73.6   7     43.0    39.2    19    65.6    67.2    15    71.8    68.1   10    43.3    43.6    0     0.0    0.0

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/97314/default.aspx

Jarryn has been focusing on developing more of the defensive side to his game and is likely to have more of an opportunity to further expand his experience in the strong Saints backline.

“Last year I was more in the midfield but this year I have been working with Stephen Silvagni a lot more on developing my game in defence.”

Although winning the Best and Fairest at TAC Cup side Bendigo Pioneers in 2007, where he played with good friend and current Geelong player Joel Selwood, Geary was overlooked in the AFL Draft and instead picked up by St Kilda in the Rookie Draft.

The 2007 Rookie Draft has proven a success so far for the Club with Clinton Jones and Robert Eddy also picked up during that selection.

“Obviously I knew of Dal, he’s a pretty big name back in Bendigo. But not many people would know that he has a room named after him at the youth centre in Bendigo - the Nick Dal Santo Room.”

2007 Rookie Draft selection (St Kilda) No. 58;
2008 Elevated to main list
2008 Pre-season Premiership Side
2009 NAB AFL Rising Star nominee

Unlucky never to have played in a finals match despite playing most of 2009 and almost all of 2010 home and away matches. Maybe he will get his chance this year.
Was desperately unlucky again in 2011 when being the natural replacement for the injured Lenny Hayes he broke his fibula the same weekend playing for Sandringham and had to wait until Rd 18 to slip into the side

Congratulations Jarryn - 50 matches for the mighty Saints

Go you good thing - have a blinder

Re: 2011 Player Reviews

JARRYN GEARY

298297_295958623750206_112405348772202_1239338_1338605491_n.jpg

After being a solid performer off the half back flank in both 09 and 10, where he was also nominated as a Rising Star (09), injury (broken fibula) struck Jarryn early in the season playing in the VFL.

After spending numerous weeks on the sidelines recovering, he made a good return to the VFL and came back into the senior side in Round 18 vs Adelaide and had 10 disposals. The previous coaching staff decided to use Geary as a sub player for many of his 8 games . In this role, he played in the midfield and off half back. He has fantastic skills, is quick and is very attacking and goes hard for the ball. He averaged 9.9 disposals per game, which is pretty good considering his time on the ground (generally one quarter).

Stats:
Games: 8
Kicks: 49
Handballs: 30
Marks: 14
Tackles: 18
Goals: 0

2012 should see Jarryn cement his position in the senior side. He is young and has the skills and pace that is required. Expect him to play more of a role as a running halfback playing on a small forward.

After playing only 7 H&A matches in 2011 for restricted TOG, often as the sub, Geary will be a bargain in both SC and DT in 2012.
He played in the Saints only finals match in 2011. He should play most matches in 2012 and with a full preseason under his belt he wont have restricted TOG.
Load up - he will average 80+ for both SC and DT

Jarryn Geary

Jarryn+Geary+AFL+Rd+4+St+Kilda+v+Fremantle+l3ksdWlU7_Vl.jpg

2012 was a breakout year for Gears, going from a fringe player to solidifying his spot in the team. In previous years I had my doubts about him, not understanding what others saw in him, but this year he showed me. His relentless pressure was best highlighted against Geelong, the ball was coming into our defensive 50 with no Saints in sight except Geary, it went to the advantage of three Geelong players ahead of him but he never gave up, running them down and putting pressure on them to stop a certain goal.

Along with Dempster, Watters looks to have given Geary a license to be more creative, averaging far more rebound 50s than in previous years. This year Geary has switched between playing on the flank as a rebounding defender and playing as a pocket on an opposition small forward. He's a good overhead mark for his size, and knows how to do the hard stuff. He won't shirk a contest and he'll give 100% every time.

At 24 Jarryn looks to have a lot of good footy ahead of him, he needs to work on shutting down dangerous forwards but I see a lot of improvement in Geary, even though he took a big step in 2012 I think he can take another one next year.

Season Rating = 8/10

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-22/finals-still-a-go-geary

Geary "It's round nine so we've got a long way to go and if we can start to become more consistent for the rest of the season, you never know what could happen ... we might be able to shape the finals and maybe slip in there."

Geary has been playing more of a midfield role in recent weeks, being tasked with run-with jobs against the likes of Sidebottom, Murphy and Thompson.

"On the weekend, Jack Newnes had a really good game – probably the best he's played for us,"

"Seb Ross and the likes of Jimmy Webster, Brodie Murdoch and Josh Saunders… it's really exciting for the club when they come in and they're really starting to take the game on and have an influence."

"We've had a few younger guys come in over the last few years but we haven't really had a lot of midfielders ... It's adding another dimension to our group, which is really good."

"We'll go on our way for three weeks and then on the weekend we sort of took a step back. That's disappointing when that happens. We just want to keep rising, especially with such a young group of players who are going to come through together."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-24/saints-like-negative-geary

Jarryn Geary is benefiting from the advice of Clint Jones when it comes to getting used to his most recent role as a run-with player.

"Clint has helped me out in the last few weeks in the roles I've had. He's done it for a number of years and I've been able to rebound off him and get some advice off him."

Geary believes there's room in the team for two playing a similar tagging role.

"When there's a match up that requires both of us to do that job, there's going to be times where we're both going to have to play that sort of role. I'm sure when that happens, we'll both be in the team."

"Whether or not Clint comes in and does that role and I go back to half back or whatnot … at some stage, that's going to happen I'd imagine."

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/1571836/saints-create-a-storm/?cs=81

Jarryn Geary and Stephen Milne were given a heroes welcome by the Strathfieldsaye Storm juniors last night.

With the Saints having the bye this weekend, Geary, a former Bendigo Pioneers club champion, said he jumped at the opportunity to return to his hometown.

“My brothers (Shannon and Daniel) play with Strathfieldsaye and Milney has a great relationship with (Storm senior coach) Darryl Wilson, so it’s good to get up here and help out the club.

“It’s been a good challenge this year to move up into the midfield and try and take care of some of the opposition’s best midfielders.

Off the field, Geary is preparing for life after footy by studying a commerce degree. “The bye has come at a good time because I’ve got an exam on Monday.’’

“This is my seventh year, so I’ve got to plan for life after footy."

I posted this in the Saints v Hawks thread but thought it might be worth it's own with a few congratulations for Gears.

Worked his way from the rookie list, to the senior list and after many injury problems he finally hits 100 career games for St Kilda on Saturday against Hawthorn.

Congratulations Gears and hopefully it can be one for you to remember!
2008:
125214.jpg

2014:
322847.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No secret he is one of my favourites.

Love how he goes about it.

There were games last year where I thought he did "come follow me" stuff when not many were motivated.

Taken him awhile, missing the year, and developing in an era when kids typically didn't get a run an it.

Glad he plays for us.

2j2925x.jpg

965778-jarryn-geary.jpg

Love him.

The epitome of a bloke who refuses to be beaten and gets the most possible out of a limited body and skill set.

A magnificent example to young blokes of where hard work and desire can get you.

015410-jarryn-geary.jpg

Great player. When he started out I didn't think he'd amount to much, coming off the rookie list, but he's worked really hard to become a required player and a leader at the club. Congrats :thumbsu:

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-04-30/rising-leader-reaches-a-ton

125214-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

AT A time of rebuilding, Jarryn Geary is well aware of the work needed to rise from the bottom.

With St Kilda embarking on a much-talked about rebuild, the team could do worse than look to Geary as an example of how to rise through the ranks.

The hard-running defender from Eaglehawk was taken with the 58th pick at the 2007 rookie draft – making him the Saints’ fifth pick at that rookie draft and its 11th recruit for that off-season.

Congrats Gears :thumbsu:

Love the fearless guys who work extra hard to succeed. Didn't think he would initially make it, but now am also a fan. The bonus of course he is also a great club man and do enjoy that he will not let anyone push or intimidate our young developing players.

Last year when the club had players ring members who had written in, to apologise for the latest scandal, I had the pleasure of Geary giving me a call. What a personable, positive and open guy. There was no resentment at having been made to do this and no hurry by him to stop the call. We chatted for a bit over 10 minutes and it was me giving my apologies as I had to go. He struck me as a leader of the club from what he said and how he went about it.

I hope he gets a lot more games and has the longevity of career that he deserves.

Jarryn Geary is one of the sort of players I think epitomises our club. He is a no nonsense defender developing into also becoming a mid.
He had a slow start before 2012 when he made himself an automatic selection. He is one of a very few players in his age group to remain on our list. Persistence, reliability and hard work are descriptions that come to mind when discussing Jarryn. I love him. I am pleased he gets to celebrate his 100th match in front of a Victorian crowd. I hope the players can make it a memorable one for him.

Go you good thing.

ST KILDA midfielder Jarryn Geary has agreed to terms for a new two-year contract with the club.

The 26-year-old, who was due to become a free agent at the end of this season, is set to stick with the Saints until the end of 2016.

His manager Anthony McConville, of Mac's Sports, confirmed Geary had come to terms for the extension, saying the defender was pleased with the club's direction.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-29/saint-off-the-market

Remove this Banner Ad

Back