Retired Jarryn Geary

Remove this Banner Ad

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Moving this from the trade thread:

Good news. 2 years is interesting though, in this market where longer contracts seem to be becoming more common it would appear to buck the trend. Could it be a strategic move by Geary or the club?

Personally, I hope it's a sign that the players have come together and decided that they will sacrifice a little bit to help build this new team. If all the players took a 10% pay cut that frees up close to $1m in cap space and gets us a Dangerfield/Fyfe type player when when go to the FA market on top of whatever space Pelch and Co have created.

God Save Max King

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Moving this from the trade thread:

Good news. 2 years is interesting though, in this market where longer contracts seem to be becoming more common it would appear to buck the trend. Could it be a strategic move by Geary or the club?

Personally, I hope it's a sign that the players have come together and decided that they will sacrifice a little bit to help build this new team. If all the players took a 10% pay cut that frees up close to $1m in cap space and gets us a Dangerfield/Fyfe type player when when go to the FA market on top of whatever space Pelch and Co have created.
Geary is sacrificing enough to just stay at St Kilda, I reckon he took a 2 year deal because the club has $$ for 2 years and if it's not going well either party can call it quits soon enough.

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Geary is sacrificing enough to just stay at St Kilda, I reckon he took a 2 year deal because the club has $$ for 2 years and if it's not going well either party can call it quits soon enough.

You are probably pretty close to the mark there. I wouldn't think the club would mind that too much either, by then we wont be needing as much experience at the club to guide the kids and will hopefully have other options to take his place.

Would be a bit disappointing for him to stick around for the tough part of the rebuild and then bail just as we are starting to climb the ladder. Generally you would expect the opposite wouldn't you?

Either way it looks like a fairly deliberate move by both sides. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

May 29, 2012
Scotland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Kingdom Kangaroos, Sandy Zebras
I dont understand the surprise, or praise for suggesting Geary would resign. He's mad for the club, he's been hanging around constantly helping the young lads whilst injured rather than focus on himself. He's been down at Sandy coaching.

I think the only reason there was some doubt, and the reason why its 2 years, is that he's underrated. He's ideally not going to be in our best 22 when we're having a title shot. He brings all of the important intangibles to the side, and I feel makes the players around him better. But realistically his skills are not going to improve at this stage in his career. If we can get more of the youngsters to harden up as they mature, then some of Geary's biggest assets won't be as much of a necessity.
So when the contract starts to run out next time, if the club is still down he might seek a move to somewhere he can play finals. Or on the flip side, if the club is up and about but he's not in the side, he might move in order to play more. Remember he wasn't getting selected during our finals runs, so he hasn't had that chance in his career so would probably like to take that chance if he could, but has decided that will be 2 years from now, now next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont understand the surprise, or praise for suggesting Geary would resign. He's mad for the club, he's been hanging around constantly helping the young lads whilst injured rather than focus on himself. He's been down at Sandy coaching.

I think the only reason there was some doubt, and the reason why its 2 years, is that he's underrated. He's ideally not going to be in our best 22 when we're having a title shot. He brings all of the important intangibles to the side, and I feel makes the players around him better. But realistically his skills are not going to improve at this stage in his career. If we can get more of the youngsters to harden up as they mature, then some of Geary's biggest assets won't be as much of a necessity.
So when the contract starts to run out next time, if the club is still down he might seek a move to somewhere he can play finals. Or on the flip side, if the club is up and about but he's not in the side, he might move in order to play more. Remember he wasn't getting selected during our finals runs, so he hasn't had that chance in his career so would probably like to take that chance if he could, but has decided that will be 2 years from now, now next season.
Because if Geelong really did come a-sniffing, he'd be wise to hear them out. Can definitely see the appeal in going to the Cats

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Because if Geelong really did come a-sniffing, he'd be wise to hear them out. Can definitely see the appeal in going to the Cats
Agree. Signing just means free agency is out. Trades can still happen yet.

Pretty sure the man is a woman.

Thanks to the Eurovision Song Comp im not sure of anybody anymore:eek:
article-2625266-1DBB9B2100000578-381_634x453.jpg

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Geary signed because he is either fiercely loyal or there was no interest from Geelong.

The club extended the contract because they either see value in retaining him or they want to force a trade with Geelong.

None of these 4 scenarios would surprise me.

FACT: July 24, Ameet Bains is promoted to COO, with a speciality in player contracts.

FACT: July 29, Jarryn Geary destroys speculation that he'll go to Geelong as an FA, with a 2-year contact.

tumblr_inline_n2ftq4erwY1snh92z.gif

mysainters

Cancelled
St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
May 22, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Geary signed because he is either fiercely loyal or there was no interest from Geelong.

The club extended the contract because they either see value in retaining him or they want to force a trade with Geelong.

None of these 4 scenarios would surprise me.

Bit of both...

Pelchen confirmed there was interest.

He is also fiercely loyal.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
Jarryn Geary will likely captain a premiership team in his career. It however definitely will not be at Geelong and considering the responses on their forum all I can say is thank god as well.

Big Mart

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Real good core player

He is as tough as teak and is well respected at Moorabbin.. Sorry Seaford

Remove this Banner Ad

Back