Past Jason Akermanis (1995-2006)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope in say 10 years time he is also remember for his skills rather then just his big mouth as you have said but I have a feeling he will only be remember for his big month. I can see the same sort of thing happening with Fevola and only been remember for his off-field problems/incidents rather then the great player he was on-field.

I was there last night and Aka was very warmly received by the people in the room.

He seemed to be chatting away to a few of the players :thumbsu:

He said in an interview, now that his career is over he supports the Lions and he hopes that Vossy and the Lions do well. However he said that he thinks they will struggle but in 5 years time he will be sitting at the MCG watching them win the grand Final:D:thumbsu: Hopefully Aker is right. It feels good to have him on the Lions side again!

Yes please!....I'd cry..

.I'm hopeless, when I read on friday that Aker was flying up there that day...I said to my husband that Aker was going home today...thats how I felt..

I'm so glad it went well....He's a Lion and always will be, he was never a Bulldog..

..same as Fev was never a Lion, was always a Blue..

Thats how I see it anyway..

Actually a readabke article by Aker. I thought whinging about his name being misspelt was a bit petty but otherwise it was okay.

Still little attempt at assessing his own behaviour, but I sense some mild introspection creeping in.

AFL bans Aker from speaking at official functions
  • Fiona Byrne
  • April 26, 2011 12:00AM
"Jason spoke at a function several weeks ago and made a number of comments that were deemed inappropriate for the function and more befitting of a sportsman's night," AFL spokesman Brian Walsh said.
"As a life member he is welcome to attend AFL official functions and we welcome him, but we advised his management that we would not ask him to speak at AFL-sanctioned functions off the back of his last performance.
"We have certain standards that guests expect from events and the comments he made weren't considered appropriate for the event."

jasonakermanis.jpg

Further into that article, after it is said by the AFL that they had advised his management etc, Aker said that he no longer has a manager, that he is his own manager and that no-one had spoken to him at all about it..and that he was mystified as this was the first he'd heard about it..

An online poll in HUN...."should the AFL have banned Aker from speaking?"

the No's are way ahead..

Further into that article, after it is said by the AFL that they had advised his management etc, Aker said that he no longer has a manager, that he is his own manager and that no-one had spoken to him at all about it..and that he was mystified as this was the first he'd heard about it..

An online poll in HUN...."should the AFL have banned Aker from speaking?"

the No's are way ahead..

Hard to say without knowing what he actually said.

But considering Aka's history, I'm not hugely surprised. At least future AFL function attendees will be spared his tedious "outspoken nature".

Chris Grant

Grant, arguably the most respected figure at the Bulldogs, let fly at Akermanis after the former star's latest attack on the club."I don't know of anybody who thinks highly of him," Grant said.
Asked whether Akermanis was in danger of leading a lonely life, Grant replied: "I think he's a sad, lonely person now."
"If you sit and talk to Jason, he's a really likable guy," he said. "But as I said, you find out about the true person when their back's against the wall and he dealt with it really poorly on both occasions."

jasonakermanis.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Akermanis nailed it though in his response though. Have some of that Chris Grant! I think Akermanis has correctly pointed out one of the great problems at Footscray, where players seemed to be content to be running around at the highest level and perhaps making the finals, but were never hard enough, committed enough or talented enough to take the next step.

Obviously at Footscray it pays to be in with the in crowd, but at the end of the day:

Jason Akermanis - Member of THREE Premiership sides.

Chris Grant - Never played in an AFL Grand Final.

Maybe Jason Akermanis might be able to rekindle some friendships when he attends the 2002 and 2003 Premiership reunion dinners. Even if he doesn't, so what?

Grant's piece smacks of school yard bullying of the "You have no friends / nobody likes you" kind. Perhaps it's Grant who needs to grow up and move on.

Grant's piece smacks of school yard bullying of the "You have no friends / nobody likes you" kind. Perhaps it's Grant who needs to grow up and move on.

did you watch the video? Ralph and Stevens set Grant up a bit. (i am not a fan of Dogs or Grant) but the herald sun were at their muck racking best (damien barrett must have been sick that day). i was supprised on the Aka attack as Aka sells alot of papers/internet for them.
Having read Aka's book, i would agree he would not have many friends, but he stikes me as being loyal to his true friends.
Aka responded well though the only way he knows... the herald sun.

When Akermanis makes derogatory remarks about people, would you consider that to be bullying too?

Thought it was more of giving him a taste of his own medicine.

When Aker makes comments along those lines he gets praised by some for being a "free thinker who doesn't speak in cliches". Yet Grant is condemned.

Man people afford Aker a lot of latitude to be an absolute w***er, we've accepted that, but god, let's not play the "poor him" card when someone else stoops to his level.

When Akermanis makes derogatory remarks about people, would you consider that to be bullying too?

Thought it was more of giving him a taste of his own medicine.

When Aker makes comments along those lines he gets praised by some for being a "free thinker who doesn't speak in cliches". Yet Grant is condemned.

Man people afford Aker a lot of latitude to be an absolute w***er, we've accepted that, but god, let's not play the "poor him" card when someone else stoops to his level.

In response to your question Grimreepah, the answer would be most likely yes. I have little to no time for much of what he has to say and as time goes on he is becoming less and less relevant. I thought his comments about gay footballers were appalling and his lastest little quip about Government policy on a carbon tax were a massive intellectual over-reach.

In response to your post BrownDog, at no stage would I want to suggest, nor did I suggest we should feel sorry poor Aker. Let's be quite clear about my position, Jason Akermanis is a goose who is headed further down the Sam Newman novelty act road every time he opens his mouth, but that doesn't make Chris Grant's reported comments any more reasonable. Grant would be better off ignoring Akermanis, but given that he didn't, I thought Akermanis made a good rebuttal.

Hope that clears things up.

Re: Justin Sherman (2005 - 2010)

Former AFL star Jason Akermanis slams Justin Sherman's apology for racial remarks as 'insincere'

"(The club) did exactly what I thought they would do. They wrote a something that he clearly had no idea what was on it ... he didn't sound very sincere, I'm sure he didn't want to do that,'' Akermanis said.

"The guy who got caught cheating, is only ever sorry because he got caught.''

"I've always said if you need to use racism to get one up on your opposition then you clearly aren't a very good player. You see that from the not very good players."

As opposed to calling people drug cheats, hey Aker?

I am no fan of Shermo or what he did, but I am getting mighty sick of Jason Akermanis sticking the boots in to his ex team mates.
We all know that he is a perfect individual ,who has done nothing wrong in his own life.
Wonder how he would feel if an article or two came out about the REAL Aker.
I am sure it would make interesting reading.

I am no fan of Shermo or what he did, but I am getting mighty sick of Jason Akermanis sticking the boots in to his ex team mates.
We all know that he is a perfect individual ,who has done nothing wrong in his own life.
Wonder how he would feel if an article or two came out about the REAL Aker.
I am sure it would make interesting reading.

Yeah disgraceful stuff from Aka. The longer he is retired the more desperate for publicity he is becoming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back