Jason Cave's best VAFA Team since 1975

Remove this Banner Ad

I've decided to bring my announcement of the full squad to today to cut all the suspense & speculation.

The squad is from:

OLD XAVERIANS-Michael Blood, Nick Burne, Andrew Dillon, Dan Richardson, Lachlan Ford, Simon Lethlean, John Bowen, Al McQueen-Parton, Adam Jones, Rob Dillon,Matthew Bourke, Dave Landrigan, Tim Ockleshaw

ST KEVINS-Marcus Dollman, Ben Dollman, Robert Gross, Mark Brady, Marcus Olive

HAMPTON ROVERS-Stephen Anderson, Denver Artz, Anthony Browne, Mark Crawford, Michael Fletcher, Alf Panagiotidis, Chris Scarlett, Brenton Holt

ORMOND- Russell Barnes, Matt McConville, Phil Kingston, Bruce Bourne, Brett Connell, Andrew Mehrtens, Paul Schuhkraft, S.Keleher

COLLEGIANS- Ian Herman, Richard Herman, Matthew Galbraith

OLD SCOTCH-Robbie Fulller, Andrew Smith

NORTH OLD BOYS-Bruno Conti, Paul Considine, Geoff Dillon

OLD TRINITY-Glenn Hatfield, Andrew Ramsden

EMMAUS ST LEOS-Steve Buckle, Brendan Vaughan

WEST BRUNSWICK-Bruce Ivey, Adam Cannane

BULLEEN TEMPLESTOWE-Dean Matthews

BEAUMARIS-Chris Martin, Brayden Haynes, Murray Pitts, Sean Hanrahan,M.Matulick

THERRY PENOLA-Mick Elliott, Paul Edwards

MONASH BLUES-Julian Smith, Dave Rogers, Sam McGee

CAULFIELD GRAMMARIANS-Simon Widjaja, S.Amiet

OLD MELBURNIANS-Paul O'Brien, Rohan Brown, Ian Cordner, Cam Eabry

THOMASTOWN-Tony Fellows, Sam Assetta

DE LA SALLE-M.Deveson, Allan Groves, Brian Bourke

UNI BLUES-Michael Yeo, Gil McLachlan

OLD GEELONG-John Manton, Chris Stinchcombe

OAKLEIGH-Trevor Bromley, Dermott Cleary,J.Rutter

MARCELLIN-Frank Marchesani, Andrew Treganowan, Bernard Dineen

ST BERNARDS-Luke Gollant, Luke Vassallo, Nick Mitchell

OLD BRIGHTON- Matthew Jackson, Andrew Pryor, Mick Hazell

OLD HAILEYBURY-Mark Seccull

ST BEDES MENTONE TIGERS-L.Wintle, M.Wintle, Tony MacGeorge

OLD IVANHOE-Hayden Heta

WHITEFRIARS-Anthony Carbone, C.Houston

OLD ESSENDON-Scott McPherson, T.Biggs

BANYULE-B.Willmore

PENINSULA-S.Payze

BENTLEIGH-J.Robertson

OLD WESTBOURNE-B.Hutton

ST MARYS-A.Papuluca, C.Armstrong

OLD MENTONIANS- Tony Bournon, Brendan Murphy, Guyan Stroud, Adam Acreman, G.Snow

COACH: Mike McArthur-Allen

The squad is from:

OLD XAVERIANS-Michael Blood, Nick Burne, Andrew Dillon, Dan Richardson, Lachlan Ford, Simon Lethlean, John Bowen, Al McQueen-Parton, Adam Jones, Rob Dillon

Now we know you are totally nuts. These selections or those for your entire squad have no credibility at all. Where is Matthew Bourke? Where is Dave Landrigan? Where is Tim Ockleshaw?

The selection of this squad borders on stupidity.

Can't bag a bloke for trying but Jason, this evidences the fact that your knowledge of VAFA footy from the past 30 years is going to be vastly different (and probably not superior) to many others.

Here are but 5 of many examples I could give you:

1. You have 8 Hampton Rovers lads in your squad when your beloved club has hardly played above C section in the past 30 years whilst the likes of Collegians (3 in the squad), Old Scotch (2), St Bernards (3), Old Trinity (2), Old Haileybury (1), De La Salle (3), Uni Blues (2), Old Ivanhoe (1), Old Brighton (3), OMs (3) have won A and B grade flags - usually sitting 3 divisions ahead of Hampton.

I'll repeat it again just in case you don't understand, the vast majority of the best players in the VAFA play A grade, not D1. These clubs played better footy because they have the better players representing them - end of story. There may be the odd one or two players from C and below teams who could get a look in, but they would be in the vast minority.

2. Mick Hazell never played for Brighton, he played for Salesian and Old Melburnians.

3. Oakleigh have been in our competition for a few years only, yet you've managed to include 3 players who haven't played above D1 in their careers thus far.

4. No representatives from Mazenod, Old Camberwell, Old Carey, Aquinas, MHSOB, Uni Blacks, Parkdale, Prahran or Old Paradians

5. Glenn Hatfield played 3 seasons for Old Trinity and only got a state jumper as an 'enforcer' when playing at Xavs. His one season at Xavs ended with him getting kicked out of the club after belting Dermott Dann. He was subsequently de-registered for doing a 'John Hopoate' on Betheras from MHSOB (I was about 5 metres away when it happened).

I'll give you 20 blokes who have worn the green and gold at OTs (including "Doc" Rogers who you listed as a Monash Blue, where he played 4 seasons, yet he played over 200 games for OTs, captained the club to a B grade flag and in A Grade) should go on your list before Hatty.

Sorry Jase, I admire your enthusiasm, I really do, and this has been an amusing way to pass a quiet VAFA off-season, but quite frankly here's where the summer project should finish.

I've decided to bring my announcement of the full squad to today to cut all the suspense & speculation.

The squad is from:

OLD XAVERIANS-Michael Blood, Nick Burne, Andrew Dillon, Dan Richardson, Lachlan Ford, Simon Lethlean, John Bowen, Al McQueen-Parton, Adam Jones, Rob Dillon,Matthew Bourke, Dave Landrigan, Tim Ockleshaw

HAMPTON ROVERS-Stephen Anderson, Denver Artz, Anthony Browne, Mark Crawford, Michael Fletcher, Alf Panagiotidis, Chris Scarlett, Brenton Holt

ORMOND- Russell Barnes, Matt McConville, Phil Kingston, Bruce Bourne, Brett Connell, Andrew Mehrtens, Paul Schuhkraft, S.Keleher

OLD IVANHOE-Hayden Heta

BANYULE-B.Willmore

PENINSULA-S.Payze

BENTLEIGH-J.Robertson

OLD WESTBOURNE-B.Hutton

OLD MENTONIANS- Tony Bournon, Brendan Murphy, Guyan Stroud, Adam Acreman, G.Snow

Jason I agree with the others, this has to stop.
While West Brunswick's Adam Cannane and Old Geelong's Chris Stinchcombe were great players, they just don't cut it. I've never heard of half of these cats. As for Ben Dollman...

Jason stop this crap now and find a new topic.

Let me answer some of the criticisms of the squad from you guys:

1) This is just a squad, not the final team. The team I pick will be totally different to the squad. After all, when the VAFA pick their state squads, not many of the players in the squads end up up making the final team.

2) I wanted the team to be representative of the WHOLE of the VAFA, not just A&B sections from 1975 onwards.This is what the VAFA did with the A-D4 side that played against the Southern Football League-a team that was representative of the WHOLE of the VAFA competition-regardless of what section that player was in, whether he was in A Section or D4 Section. Yes, the team will be made up of A & B sections players from the past 32 years, with 2 or 3 players coming from the lower grades. The lower grades is just as competitve as A & B Sections-look at the standard of C Section thanks to Rupertswood. If you're not happy about the selections of the squad at least, then I'm sorry, but I call it as I see it-not you guys.

3) The FINAL Team will be announced in Round 5-so there's still plenty of time to narrow the squad to the final team. Not all of the players in the squad will make it into the side.

4) OK, so I put it quite a few Hampton Rovers players in the squad(up to 8), but only 1 will make the cut-off for the side. I'm sorry I missed out on players from clubs like Old Camberwell and Uni Blacks, but when you pick a team-any team whether it's a state side, a combined 'best of' side like this one, then you have to go with who the selectors ( or a lone selector like me) think is the best choice for the team.

5) Let me tell you it is very hard to pick a squad, let alone a team by yourself-regardless of whether it's a club, state team or a 'best-of'. Try doing this one by yourself and see just how hard it is to form a squad,let alone a team.

The squad is from:

OLD IVANHOE-Hayden Heta

BANYULE-B.Willmore

PENINSULA-S.Payze

BENTLEIGH-J.Robertson

OLD WESTBOURNE-B.Hutton

This is getting ridiculous, you could pick 300 players and left some guns out. You have basically picked a side from the last 5 years. To many current players from bottom grade clubs.

Where is Brett Burden from Kew and Ormond?
Simon Eastmure, Jason Reddick and Paul Matton from Therry?
David Williams from Banyule?
Andrew Allibon from Old Trinity?
Rob Lawson from Fawker was a gun.
Peter Flynn from Ivanhoe
Peter Adams from Banyule and Ivanhoe
Old Hailybury had about 10 from the early 90's that could all lay claims for selection.
Dave Waters, Glen Cox and Mark Browne from Marcellin.
Kempton from Uni Blacks

I could go on for ever. I agree with Marcus Olive' selection he was one scary individual.

Marcus Olive was a champion player and a genuine tough guy. He had the likes of snipers like Rambo sleepless for the week before they met on the field. From a SKOB point of view, M Dollman, M Brady, R Gross and Olive all pick themselves. Nick Fraser was a champion at De La Salle and SKOB, as is Luke Mahoney, who had Best and Fairest awards at NOBS in A Section, 2 at SKOB in A Section and 2 in B Section, also a 3 time BOG in the guts for Victoria against real State of Origin teams. Would also throw in Nigel '3 time All Australian' Credlin from Old Camberwell, as well as Christian Davison from the Lions and the toughest VAFA player I have seen, Brett Burden.
I have to agree with Monkeyscribe, get over it Jason and start a new thread on this years predictions or perhaps the best VAFA interchange steward.

Marcus Olive was a champion player and a genuine tough guy. He had the likes of snipers like Rambo sleepless for the week before they met on the field. From a SKOB point of view, M Dollman, M Brady, R Gross and Olive all pick themselves. Nick Fraser was a champion at De La Salle and SKOB, as is Luke Mahoney, who had Best and Fairest awards at NOBS in A Section, 2 at SKOB in A Section and 2 in B Section, also a 3 time BOG in the guts for Victoria against real State of Origin teams. Would also throw in Nigel '3 time All Australian' Credlin from Old Camberwell, as well as Christian Davison from the Lions and the toughest VAFA player I have seen, Brett Burden.
I have to agree with Monkeyscribe, get over it Jason and start a new thread on this years predictions or perhaps the best VAFA interchange steward.

Love it Brian, love it! Gold!

I will still be picking the team, regardless of anyone-and this includes Monkeyboy, Scribe, and anyone who criticises my team and the squad-thinks. If you don't appreciate of how much I respect the history of VAFA football, then that's your problem, not mine. So, to those critics, I say this-think before you type, and also wait for the final team to be announced-then make your judgement then, not right now. Sure some players who have missed out initially will be included. But you guys have gone completely and totally overboard on the criticism of this project. I will still go ahead with the project-whether you like it or not.

Good on you Jase, from the amount of responses and views this is a great topic!!!!! I retract my earlier statement. Please add Simon Costello of Uni Blacks fame, truly great VAFA player, as well as Mike Hunt from St Bernards and Wayne Kerr from Old Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't bag a bloke for trying but Jason, this evidences the fact that your knowledge of VAFA footy from the past 30 years is going to be vastly different (and probably not superior) to many others.

Here are but 5 of many examples I could give you:

1. You have 8 Hampton Rovers lads in your squad when your beloved club has hardly played above C section in the past 30 years whilst the likes of Collegians (3 in the squad), Old Scotch (2), St Bernards (3), Old Trinity (2), Old Haileybury (1), De La Salle (3), Uni Blues (2), Old Ivanhoe (1), Old Brighton (3), OMs (3) have won A and B grade flags - usually sitting 3 divisions ahead of Hampton.

I'll repeat it again just in case you don't understand, the vast majority of the best players in the VAFA play A grade, not D1. These clubs played better footy because they have the better players representing them - end of story. There may be the odd one or two players from C and below teams who could get a look in, but they would be in the vast minority.

2. Mick Hazell never played for Brighton, he played for Salesian and Old Melburnians.

3. Oakleigh have been in our competition for a few years only, yet you've managed to include 3 players who haven't played above D1 in their careers thus far.

4. No representatives from Mazenod, Old Camberwell, Old Carey, Aquinas, MHSOB, Uni Blacks, Parkdale, Prahran or Old Paradians

5. Glenn Hatfield played 3 seasons for Old Trinity and only got a state jumper as an 'enforcer' when playing at Xavs. His one season at Xavs ended with him getting kicked out of the club after belting Dermott Dann. He was subsequently de-registered for doing a 'John Hopoate' on Betheras from MHSOB (I was about 5 metres away when it happened).

I'll give you 20 blokes who have worn the green and gold at OTs (including "Doc" Rogers who you listed as a Monash Blue, where he played 4 seasons, yet he played over 200 games for OTs, captained the club to a B grade flag and in A Grade) should go on your list before Hatty.

Sorry Jase, I admire your enthusiasm, I really do, and this has been an amusing way to pass a quiet VAFA off-season, but quite frankly here's where the summer project should finish.

agree on all points scribe; do think this is is ridiculous. but for the sake of it to right some of those misses you mentioned:
Old Carey/Uni Blacks- Andrew Costello
Uni Blacks- Tony Wilson
Uni Blacks-Marcus Kempton
old Camberwell- Nigel Credilin
old Camberwell- Luke Gladman
Old Camberwell/Old Xavs Simon Lethlean
Old Carey/Old Xavs - Alistair Dolly Parton
Old Scotch/Old Carey Steven Collins
Old Geelong- get rid of those two but add Vickers-Willis
Uni blacks Judd lalich
Monash Liam Holloway
Monash Christian Gregory
Fitzroy Reds Tim Davis
Old Paradians- Porteous

so in that lot you have multiple state reps, state captains and vice captains, section B@F winners...all of them IMO better than most of your squad members

Get rid of all those hampton players...for that matter why not get rid of this thread

Keep doing what you do Jase. Least you give us something to talk about while there is no footy.

Good on you Jase, from the amount of responses and views this is a great topic!!!!! I retract my earlier statement. Please add Simon Costello of Uni Blacks fame, truly great VAFA player, as well as Mike Hunt from St Bernards and Wayne Kerr from Old Essendon.
i take it Richard Head from Hawthorn ammos is a shoo in then Brian

I will still be picking the team, regardless of anyone-and this includes Monkeyboy, Scribe, and anyone who criticises my team and the squad-thinks. If you don't appreciate of how much I respect the history of VAFA football, then that's your problem, not mine. So, to those critics, I say this-think before you type, and also wait for the final team to be announced-then make your judgement then, not right now. Sure some players who have missed out initially will be included. But you guys have gone completely and totally overboard on the criticism of this project. I will still go ahead with the project-whether you like it or not.

Good to hear some of those who missed out in the initial squad of 100 will be included. :D How many will make the 'expanded squad'?

You can cut the 8 Hampton rovers players out for starters and find more from clubs which actually win games above C section. :thumbsu:

agree on all points scribe; do think this is is ridiculous. but for the sake of it to right some of those misses you mentioned:
Old Carey/Uni Blacks- Andrew Costello
Uni Blacks- Tony Wilson
Uni Blacks-Marcus Kempton
old Camberwell- Nigel Credilin
old Camberwell- Luke Gladman
Old Camberwell/Old Xavs Simon Lethlean
Old Carey/Old Xavs - Alistair Dolly Parton
Old Scotch/Old Carey Steven Collins
Old Geelong- get rid of those two but add Vickers-Willis
Uni blacks Judd lalich
Monash Liam Holloway
Monash Christian Gregory
Fitzroy Reds Tim Davis
Old Paradians- Porteous

so in that lot you have multiple state reps, state captains and vice captains, section B@F winners...all of them IMO better than most of your squad members

Get rid of all those hampton players...for that matter why not get rid of this thread

Lalich,Holloway,Parton,Davis, Credlin all agree, Collins maybe, Gladman no, what about Loats? Also consider Inkster Old Camberwell, Stevens Old Ivanhoe, Scott Dann(OT/Reds) always rated Julian Kirzner;AJAX. Jase you have to be kidding with so many from Hampton

Who shall we make this team play against? The Vic Country team (seeing the record is 7-4 since 1984), South Australia, or the old VFA?

What about if I pick a A & B team & a C-D4 team over the years from '75 onwards, instead of a combined VAFA team featuring players from all sections, just like the VAFA do when they play SA, when they picked a A&B side and C-D4 team to play their counterparts in their respective levels. That way a compromise can be reached. Mike McCarthur-Allen will now coach the A&B side, who in your opinion will do C-D4?

PS when does the rep matches for this year start?

The squad is from:

OLD IVANHOE-Hayden Heta

BANYULE-B.Willmore

PENINSULA-S.Payze

BENTLEIGH-J.Robertson

OLD WESTBOURNE-B.Hutton

Tony Macgeorge has been at Parkdale for a long time and coached a premiership and won goal kicking awards for parkdale. Surely Paul Sullivan would have to be nominated for this team too.

Jase, here's the deal, as I see it. You are not qualified to pick a team of the best players from A-D4, as the reactions (ranging from bemusement to outrage) to your selections from people on the forum, who have been around A and B section for years, should indicate. You may be qualified to choose a team of the best players that Hampton have played against, but if you want to "go ahead with this project", you should probably consider enlisting the services of people who have been around the VAFA for the 70s, 80s, 90's and 00's (all grades) to help you select.

I'm assuming that over half the players in that list, you wouldn't even be able to pick out of a police lineup and have never seen them play football. To pick a best team over the past 30 or so years is an impossible task for a single person, no matter how much they respect the history of the VAFA. It's your opinion and not a very popular one at the moment. And I reckon the players who have made your training squad would find the honour (to quote the immortal John Clarke) "about as prestigious as being photographed walking out of a brothel with their undies on their head".

But, you go for it. You have proven beyond doubt that there is no stopping you.

"about as prestigious as being photographed walking out of a brothel with their undies on their head".

Hey MC - if we played the Rep Game against an interstate or country side, then that may actually become a reality. Y'know, what happens on tour.....

Might even make it into FTLOTG in the Amateur Footballer. :D

What about the VAFA side play against the best the Rovers could come up with in that period, to make it easier. A combined VAFA team (with NO rovers players in the team) against the Hampton Rovers side from 1975-2008.

What about the VAFA side play against the best the Rovers could come up with in that period, to make it easier. A combined VAFA team (with NO rovers players in the team) against the Hampton Rovers side from 1975-2008.
Jason, who in the hell are you kidding now? For f uck sake, quit whilst you are behind.
Get this into your head, WE DONT CARE ABOUT THE HAMPTON ROVERS.
They are an underachieving bunch of bogans who ply the lower levels of the VAFA competition, who have produced no real people of significance in the VAFA and to top it off are living in the past.

Brian,

I take deep personal offence of your attack on the club I love, Hampton Rovers. If it wasn't for people like me volunteering year after year, the club, which my family have been invovled for well over 50 years, will fold, and I don't want it to happen. To say we are an underacheiving club shows you have a complete and total lack of respect of the club and the many hundreds of thousands of people who make Hampton Rovers the club what it is today and I think it's about time you respect clubs like the Rovers a lot more than you normally do. I have been a Life Member of the Rovers, as well as my father Ian, Sue & McKay Anderson my aunt & uncle, my grandparents, the late Robert & Joyce Cave, and you not only have attacked me, but my entire family as well. So Brian, here's an ultimatim-either apologise to me in this thread, or suffer the full fury of the Rovers. And they will definetely use those words as a motivational tool for the years ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back