News Jason Cripps on the road to recovery

Remove this Banner Ad

Can happen when you're young. I had a heart attack at 38 too, turns out I've got a Devils Elbow type supply at the back of my heart. Stent in & looking after myself a bit better & all good.
Best thing in Cripps & my situation was someone was there who knew what was happening & knew what to do.
All the best to him & his family.

Very sad news. There is too little information available at present for me to make a meaningful comment.
If his downtime (cardiac arrest time) was short and he had effective CPR quickly at the scene, and then had effective emergency angioplasty/stenting to unblock the artery, then he could still do very well. Invariably there will need to be a period of 24-48h in ICU in a coma to assess his brain and heart function, even if things went very well.
I'll post more later when I have time.

As I posted earlier while on the run, it's very hard for me to speculate through the media, but it never sounds good when all of the news being conveyed is negative (e.g. fighting for his life).

Cardiac arrest and myocardial infarction (heart attack) are of course not the same thing, although the latter (heart attack) is often a cause of the former (cardiac arrest).

People in their 30s can certainly have heart attacks from acute blockages to their heart arteries. The risk factors for heart attack are the big 5: smoking, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and a family history/genetic predisposition. Unfortunately, there is the other risk factor that no-one can account for - bad luck. Tragically, heart attacks do occur in young patients even when there are no obvious, or severe, risk factors to speak of.

One of the nasty problems with heart attacks in otherwise healthy people, is that often they are not preceded by warning symptoms, so that the first sign of heart trouble may be a very large, life-threatening heart attack. This is especially the case if the artery that is blocked is the left main coronary artery, or the beginning of the big artery down the front of the heart (left anterior descending artery).

Cardiac arrest secondary to heart attack can be due to different things, most commonly: (1) electrical arrhythmia (ventricular fibrillation) or (2) massive pump failure where the amount of damage to the heart muscle from a loss of blood supply is enormous. In both cases, the heart is not able to pump blood around the body to supply the brain and other organs.

This is why early and proper CPR (including both electrical defibrillation and chest massages) is so critical. It gets some blood flowing to the brain and heart itself. If the heart recovers its electrical activity and pumping action within the first few minutes of CPR, patients can still survive without other organ (e.g. brain) damage, so long as they get into hospital quickly and undergo a procedure to unblock the artery.

This procedure is an emergency angiogram, performed straight away, to find the blocked artery and then remove the blockage by methods like sucking out the clot, ballooning the artery open and putting in a stent to keep the artery open (angioplasty and stenting). This is why Interventional Cardiologists need to be on call 24h a day, and within 15 min from the hospitals that we service.

To summarise, the key aspects to Jason's prognosis are therefore:
(1) How quickly did he receive CPR/defibrillation and how good was it? If given by a medical or paramedical person immediately at the scene, the CPR is more likely to have been better administered;
(2) How quickly did his heart rhythm and pumping function recover after the original CPR was given? i.e. Did he come out of cardiac arrest before reaching hospital, so that his heart was beating for itself while he was being transported for emergency angiography?
(3) Which artery was blocked and how much heart muscle would have been affected?
(4) How long did it take to get him to the cathlab (cardiac theatre) and to get his heart artery open with blood flowing properly?
(5) What were his blood pressure and oxygen levels like during all of this time?
(6) How long were his brain and other vital organs without adequate blood flow and oxygen supply?

Unfortunately, there are too many unknowns at this stage for me to speculate.

I pray for the best for him and his family. And yes, it certainly puts everything into perspective.

Last edited:
Shocking news.
Hope you get back on your feet asap Jason. Lets hope the lads can give you something to smile about to help you heal, perhaps that is the spark they need for the rest of the season....

As I posted earlier while on the run, it's very hard for me to speculate through the media, but it never sounds good when all of the news being conveyed is negative (e.g. fighting for his life).

Cardiac arrest and myocardial infarction (heart attack) are of course not the same thing, although the latter (heart attack) is often a cause of the former (cardiac arrest).

People in their 30s can certainly have heart attacks from acute blockages to their heart arteries. The risk factors for heart attack are the big 5: smoking, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and a family history/genetic predisposition. Unfortunately, there is the other risk factor that no-one can account for - bad luck. Tragically, heart attacks do occur in young patients even when there are no obvious, or severe, risk factors to speak of.

One of the nasty problems with heart attacks in otherwise healthy people, is that often they are not preceded by warning symptoms, so that the first sign of heart trouble may be a very large, life-threatening heart attack. This is especially the case if the artery that is blocked is the left main coronary artery, or the beginning of the big artery down the front of the heart (left anterior descending artery).

Cardiac arrest secondary to heart attack can be due to different things, most commonly: (1) electrical arrhythmia (ventricular fibrillation) or (2) massive pump failure where the amount of damage to the heart muscle from a loss of blood supply is enormous. In both cases, the heart is not able to pump blood around the body to supply the brain and other organs.

This is why early and proper CPR (including both electrical defibrillation and chest massages) is so critical. It gets some blood flowing to the brain and heart itself. If the heart recovers its electrical activity and pumping action within the first few minutes of CPR, patients can still survive without other organ (e.g. brain) damage, so long as they get into hospital quickly and undergo a procedure to unblock the artery.

This procedure is an emergency angiogram, performed straight away, to find the blocked artery and then remove the blockage by methods like sucking out the clot, ballooning the artery open and putting in a stent to keep the artery open (angioplasty and stenting). This is why Interventional Cardiologists need to be on call 24h a day, and within 15 min from the hospitals that we service.

(1) How quickly did he receive CPR/defibrillation and how good was it? If given by a medical or paramedical person immediately at the scene, the CPR is more likely to have been better administered;
(2) How quickly did his heart rhythm and pumping function recover after the original CPR was given? i.e. Did he come out of cardiac arrest before reaching hospital, so that his heart was beating for itself while he was being transported for emergency angiography?
(3) Which artery was blocked and how much heart muscle would have been affected?
(4) How long did it take to get him to the cathlab (cardiac theatre) and to get his heart artery open with blood flowing properly?
(5) What were his blood pressure and oxygen levels like during all of this time?
(6) How long were his brain and other vital organs without adequate blood flow and oxygen supply?

I pray for the best for him and his family. And yes, it certainly puts everything into perspective.

As far as risk factors go i think untreated sleep apnea can also cause heart attacks.

Fantastic post, PJ. I'm a 3rd year paramedic student and I was going to post my explanation/something similar but you beat me to it!

We should hear something regarding his condition in the next day or so. Fingers crossed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generally heart attack patients that were in reasonably good health (obviously JC was) that make it onto the Cath Lab table within a couple of hours - which JC did, the outcome is likely to be very good!!!

IF, JC only had 1 or 2 blockages to any of the 3 main Coronary Arteries then a stent will be enough to restore the blood flow and more importantly oxygen to the region of the heart that has been affected by the infarct.

BUT, if there are 3 or more blockages bypass surgery is required - I have not read anywhere if this is the case with JC... but for his wife to be rushed over may indicate this!!!

Reading that JC collapsed with the suggestion that CPR was required indicate to me that there is a possibility that he had an infarct to the Left Main Coronary Artery, which is the Artery that supplies all of the blood to the entire heart - if JC had this then he is extremely luck to still be with us!!!

This also requires bypass surgery!!

The absence of news is unnerving and I hope not an unhappy portent.
Read PJ Power's two posts above. He is a cardiologist. That's why I asked him to make a detailed post. There is a good reason why there will be no update for 24-48 hours even if its great news in the long run.

As someone who has had a heart attack aged 28, and with no problems with weight, cholesterol or blockages I can safely say there is definitely reason to believe he will make a full recovery if in fact Jason has the same issue I had. Mine was caused by ventricular fibrillation I think, my cholesterol at the time was very low (2.9) and the angiogram showed no blockages. Knocked me around for 6ish weeks, would get out of breathe really easy etc but now I'm as good as new

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ha...for-jason-cripps/story-fndv8s6g-1227398655504
Hamish Hartlett: We’re all hoping for the best for Jason Cripps
PORT Adelaide midfielder Hamish Hartlett says Power players know little about the condition of list manager Jason Cripps but are going for good news.

Cripps is being monitored in a Perth Hospital after he collapsed while on a run on Saturday.
He was assisted at the scene by doctors and fellow recruiting staff before ambulance officers arrive.
No further information has been released by the club.
“We haven’t been given a whole lot information about it to be honest, so we’re not entirely sure about the state of his condition,” Hartlett said.
“We obviously know that it’s quite serious.
More...
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ha...for-jason-cripps/story-fndv8s6g-1227398655504
upload_2015-6-15_14-10-47.png
Jason Cripps

Club has released an update. Cripps was in an induced coma following a heart attack, has been brought out of the coma and is responsive to family and friends. Those fun runs are death traps.

My mother had 2 stents put in about 12 months ago after a heart attack, actually drove herself to the hospital!!!! and she's doing really well now

She's a cancer survivor going on five years now too, she amazes me & we think footy players are tough

Great news best wishes Crippsy

All the best to Cripps and his family. Sounds like he got medical attention quickly which is the important key. The best thing is have a positive attitude as myself suffering a heart attack (blockage in right coronary artery) three months ago, this is important in your recovery. A couple of stents later and following medical advice, don't over do it but at the same time you need to find what your limits are and get back to activity as soon as possible. I'm back at the gym again and adjusting my diet.

It's not a death sentence but I'll tell you, he'll have a different attitude on life will no longer sweat the small stuff (football being the exception).

With support of his family and friends he'll be back and stronger mentally for the experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back