News Jason Cripps on the road to recovery

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Cripps told his story in The Herald Sun to Jon Ralph and was syndicated in the Advertiser today.

Hand on Heart, I'm Lucky To Be Here
FREAKISH luck and the fraternity of a football club saved the life of Jason Cripps. The 38-year-old knows he is lucky to be alive after he stopped breathing for 20 minutes last month after collapsing while on a morning jog. He could so easily have died there alone on a Perth footpath, his life ebbing away as a virus attacked his heart. Or after four days in a coma in Royal Perth Hospital he might have suffered the permanent brain damage doctors and his family feared. Yet instead the renowned fitness freak caught a massive break. Not only was the Port Adelaide list manager running with Power recruiting officials, the first passer-by on the scene was a doctor. It could so easily have been different for the husband to wife Penny and three children — nine, seven and five.......

Hand on Heart, I'm Lucky To Be Here

Last edited by a moderator:

PJ Power got any professional comments after reading Cripps story by Jon Ralph??

It sounds like Crippsy had a severe case of viral myocarditis. The inflammation of the heart (and possible contractile weakness it caused to the heart muscle) probably triggered a rhythm disturbance called ventricular fibrillation, which caused his cardiac arrest. It's a testament to the quality of the CPR he received and its timeliness, that he was kept alive prior to the paramedics defibrillating him.

His longterm outlook will now depend on how well the heart muscle recovers, both spontaneously (i.e. with natural healing over time) and with the help of the medications they would have started him on. This will become apparent when his Cardiologist assesses him in August, including a look at his heart muscle function with an ultrasound (echocardiogram). There is certainly a chance that his heart muscle will recover completely or to a considerable extent back toward normal. There's also a decent chance it will be left with a degree of permanent weakness that will be managed with medication and possibly with other therapies in the longterm (e.g. special pacemaker devices).

He may have already had an ICD inserted during his hospital admission (permanent defibrillator) to help prevent recurrences of cardiac arrest.

Importantly, it sounds like Jason has made a really positive recovery to this point and things should continue to get better from here on.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-saved-jason-cripps-life-20150731-gip23i.html

Jason Cripps can't remember catching the plane to Perth. He can't remember organising to meet his mates in the hotel foyer early the next morning, heading out for a light, easy run not long after seven or crouching down like a wicket-keeper with a few hundred metres to go and waving the other two on. Cripps is sitting at one end of a long table, surrounded by seven of the people who were with him when he had a sudden, massive heart attack and nearly died by the side of the running track. They are his colleagues, his competitors, his friends and something entirely new now, because they helped save his life. His story is their story, too. He is hearing it for the first time and he has no idea what to say. "All I can think of is thank you. And it's not enough."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-saved-jason-cripps-life-20150731-gip23i.html

It's been very quiet about Cripps. Would have been a tragedy and so glad to hear he is on the mend.

The club has had plenty of sad events to deal with over the last couple of years. Must be draining.

Good to hear that he's on the mend and that there is a very good chance of a return to normal health in time.
And another good article by Emma Quayle. I can't remember the last time I said that about anything written by a SA journo.

Pardon the pun but my heart skips a beat every time this thread reappears at the top of the page.

Now I've read the article I think I'm getting the chills. A terrifying story superbly relayed by a craftsperson journalist. It could have been tragedy but for some unlikely interventions and of course the good side of human nature that is always so lost in the despairing news of today.

Last edited:
1438376608103.jpg

Underbelly: The Recruiters

I don't know if Chris Drain is Peter Hudson or Mick Gatto. ;)

Pardon the pun but my heart skips a beat every time this thread reappears at the top of the page.

Now I've read the article I think I'm getting the chills. A terrifying story superbly relayed by a craftsperson journalist. It could have been tragedy but for some unlikely interventions and of course the good side of human nature that is always so lost in the despairing news of today.
You summed up my thoughts entirely Ford. Perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to include 'He's OK' to avoid the internal fear we see initially.

Its a life story that will linger in my head, Well written Emma, and thank goodness for the 'lucky circumstances'. Those involved deserve heartfelt thanks.

I asked a couple of days ago how Jason Cripps was doing, if he was back into trading negotiations and lo and behold ...

Cripps keeping finger on the pulse
“I haven’t really been doing a hell of a lot, the plan of attack is to be back up and running for the start of next season full-time. Everything until then is just a gradual process.

“I have been involved behind-the-scenes, sitting on meeting and phone link-ups, and talk regularly with the recruiting guys, Kenny [Hinkley] and Chris Davies, so I’m across anything, but in the background.”
Cripps keeping finger on the pulse

Not sure about the headline ... ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you folks get the story on Jason on Channel Nine news this evening? Jason was urging the mandatory installation of defibrillators at all sporting venues - although he had his cardiac arrest when he was jogging through the suburbs and was very lucky that a doctor happened to be one of the first people to come by.

Jason mentioned that he is doing a bit of work from home and hopes to be back full time at the start of next season.

Did you folks get the story on Jason on Channel Nine news this evening? Jason was urging the mandatory installation of defibrillators at all sporting venues - although he had his cardiac arrest when he was jogging through the suburbs and was very lucky that a doctor happened to be one of the first people to come by.

Jason mentioned that he is doing a bit of work from home and hopes to be back full time at the start of next season.
Great news. After the McCarthy and Walsh tragedies, it's wonderful that this is a story with a happy ending.

.... Jason was urging the mandatory installation of defibrillators at all sporting venues .....
I don't really get that, needs more detail. You'd need someone present with a first-aid qualification such that they know when and how to use an automatic external defibrillator (AED) and that would represent the minimum of expertise needed. Otherwise it's just a box on the wall. At any sporting event large enough to have St Johns or the SA Ambulance Service present they will already have AEDs. At your local netball or soccer it seems pointless.

I don't really get that, needs more detail. You'd need someone present with a first-aid qualification such that they know when and how to use an automatic external defibrillator (AED) and that would represent the minimum of expertise needed. Otherwise it's just a box on the wall. At any sporting event large enough to have St Johns or the SA Ambulance Service present they will already have AEDs. At your local netball or soccer it seems pointless.

I got a feeling that Channel Nine may have been rehashing an old story...

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-10-02/cripps-keeping-his-finger-on-the-pulse

Supposedly they are so simple and easy to use with audio instruction, etc, that anyone with half a clue could pull one off the wall and get the job done ...

Supposedly they are so simple and easy to use with audio instruction, etc, that anyone with half a clue could pull one off the wall and get the job done ...
Can confirm, anyone who's done a defibb course would attest they're completely idiot proof.

Have read at least two media articles about people requiring CPR after collapsing amateur sports in the last 18 months. Defribulation is the next step if CPR fails, so stands to reason that amateur clubs should be equipped with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back