Delisted Jason Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else see his brother fire up against the cowboys?
I had the day off friday, got a tattoo in the arvo, but watched the nfl in the morning.
Got excited for andre, cant wait to see what jason can do over here.
Gee! by the look of your avatar im surprised you've got tattoos ...............NOT!!
:p:p

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/jason-holmes-a-long-way-from-home/

Jason Holmes a long way from home

By Ben CollinsJan 15, 2014

In a room full of scrawny teenagers at the AFL Players’ Induction Camp there were a few standouts.
Tom Boyd was the obvious one; with the Giants’ number one draft pick possessing the build of a seasoned AFL player. The gangly, fresh-faced ruckman were easy to spot, but there was one young ruckman who doesn’t fit this mold and stood out from the rest in more ways than one.
American Jason Holmes stood head and shoulders above most other rookies in the room and like Boyd, is almost as broad as Jonathan Brown..................

Like the look of Jason could be a great pickup for you guys , hope he can pickup the game quickly , looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Hopefully you guys don't mind if I check in here every now and again and see how Jason is coming along.

I'll keep people up to date with his games at Sandy...not sure if he'll start in our 2's or 1's...but he looks promising..really looking forward to see how he goes in a match day scenario

He has his expectations set high saying that he believes he can step up to AFL level later on in 2014 if needed.

With the International Rookies, do they have to be upgraded to the senior list like our other Rookies? Or are they an addition to the main list and can play without replacing someone through long term injury?

With the International Rookies, do they have to be upgraded to the senior list like our other Rookies? Or are they an addition to the main list and can play without replacing someone through long term injury?
Have to be upgraded.

Basketball convert Jason Holmes insists he will be ready to play senior football for St Kilda this season - should he get the call-up.

''I do all the training and running. I am a little behind as far as just being up there with the group but from when I came in, I am running with the boys. I am doing a bit extra to get in shape,'' he said.

''It [fitness] has got a lot better than a few months ago. We have started to get into tactical work, ball stoppages and ball use. I am just trying to pick up as much as I can as quick as I can.''

''I just want to be ready. I want to help the team win. If they need me, I want to be ready to just help the team compete in the game. I am trying to be patient with myself and understand it's new. But, at the same time, I do expect myself to be ready soon. I set high standards for myself,''

''I am excited to get in the VFL because that's where I will start playing. You learn a lot when you are playing. But I think I have the ability to play senior footy, whenever they want me. I know I'll be ready, I want to be ready,'' he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...get-a-start-with-st-kilda-20140115-30v6r.html

He certainly has a fair bit of good old American arrogance about him, and I think I like it. Good to see him being positive about it all.

"Jason Holmes has been doing really great; he’s surprised a lot of people. His handwork is very good for bloke that’s only just stepped into the game. Once he gets that all right he could be very exciting player." Sandringham captain, Adam Cockie said.

"He comes up to us all the time and he’ll have our calls of where we want to go. He’ll tell us to put it there cos 90% of time he’ll put it there because he’s been jumping over few blokes this year. He’s been really good at what he’s been doing so far."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im sure hes a ripper of a bloke:thumbsu:
But im not getting excited just yet. I remember drafting Tommy Walsh who was a gun young Gaelic Footballer ( the closest sport to AFL ) and he had more hype than an upcoming U2 record, yet he flopped like a Jon Bon Jovi solo record.
Holmes is coming from a hell of a lot further back than Walsh. There is such a massive gap from VFL to AFL nowdays it can be hard to judge form.
Id love for the big yank to make it as it would be a great AFL story but im not convinced yet.
But I wish him the best and good luck to him :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Im sure hes a ripper of a bloke:thumbsu:
But im not getting excited just yet. I remember drafting Tommy Walsh who was a gun young Gaelic Footballer ( the closest sport to AFL ) and he had more hype than an upcoming U2 record, yet he flopped like a Jon Bon Jovi solo record.
Holmes is coming from a hell of a lot further back than Walsh. There is such a massive gap from VFL to AFL nowdays it can be hard to judge form.
Id love for the big yank to make it as it would be a great AFL story but im not convinced yet.
But I wish him the best and good luck to him :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Can be a bit easier for a ruck. He's already had good VFL games.

He is coming from a basketball background like Jason Gram. so there would be a fair bit of judging the ball flight, jumping etc. I think the leaping aspect is why he has come along as well as he has.

I reckon he will make it, because I love Cinderella stories... and no other reason in particular. :D

How is Tommy traveling by the way? If he didn't get the hint when they signed Tippett, he would have when they got Buddy. Stupid boy listening to that other Irish fella. should have stayed with us and probably got a decent run under Scotty.

Problem with Amateur athletes is just that... it's a hobby. Whereas pro athletes have a different regime.

He is coming from a basketball background like Jason Gram. so there would be a fair bit of judging the ball flight, jumping etc. I think the leaping aspect is why he has come along as well as he has.

I reckon he will make it, because I love Cinderella stories... and no other reason in particular. :D
So he can be just like a taller Pendlebury? :cool:

Problem with Amateur athletes is just that... it's a hobby. Whereas pro athletes have a different regime.

When I was a semi-pro, I trained more hours in a week than a professional football (soccer) player. And I reckon the GAA boys work a lot harder than that. And for most, they're doing all that work through desire to play the game and succeed at it. There's a lot more pro sports folk who are doing it for money or just because they can.
Walsh I think suffered because he was so good, so young, he got used to success before he developed patience. In fact I think he'd have become one of those pro folk doing something they maybe didn't enjoy, just for the cash.

Also for what it's worth cross-sports training is actually pretty handy; hand-eye co-ordination, training of your spatial awareness, concepts of defense and attack, width and spread etc all crossover between lots of sports. The one really difficult thing is the kicking; in particular a consistent ball drop. That's the thing people forget about with Pyke (the modern success story). He could already kick an oblong ball off the crossbar off either foot from 35yds. He was really already a basketball sized guy playing rugby, so he had a combination of those skills to bring to AFL.

St Kilda ruck coach Darren Jolly has labelled American rookie Jason Holmes as the Saints' best pure-tap ruckman, tipping a possible debut for the ex-college basketballer next season.

Jolly suggested Holmes would likely come into the selection discussion next year, having taken significant strides in his football education.

"He's been fantastic because he wants to learn, he's always asking questions of me, he's intrigued about how to get better. Out of pure-tap work, he's probably the best."

Holmes is set to play in the Sandringham VFL team in the first week of the finals next week, having played all but one game this year for the Saints' affiliate. "He's dominating games and really impressing the coaches. It's really promising for the club that in 2015, we could see him roll out and play some games," Jolly said.

"The biggest thing for him is just his belief. When he first got here, he didn't believe he was part of the team or didn't think that he had a right to be on the ground. What I've tried to drill into him is that 'you're the biggest bloke out there. You need to be more demanding and you have every right to be there and just take on the game and back your ability'. I think the dilemma the Saints will have in 2015 is that hopefully they'll have five [ruckmen to choose from]."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...can-rookie-20140823-107kjp.html#ixzz3BCtidhiz

Can u have 4 number 1 ruckman on your list? Pierce will probably become a good forward though.
Somebody will be able to tell me. what draft pick was Pierce? I wish the kid all the luck in the world but most clubs have a few young rucks on their list that never make it. Its a hard position to crack into as most clubs usually only have 1 or 2 genuine rucks over a number of yrs. Its a little like being a wicket keeper in cricket. You have to wait for an opening to get a game.
My point is im not concerned that we have 4 number 1 rucks on our list. As long as 2 of them play good footy im happy.
FlyingSledgehamer it would be good if young Pierce could develop into a ruck/forward:thumbsu:

Somebody will be able to tell me. what draft pick was Pierce? I wish the kid all the luck in the world but most clubs have a few young rucks on their list that never make it. Its a hard position to crack into as most clubs usually only have 1 or 2 genuine rucks over a number of yrs. Its a little like being a wicket keeper in cricket. You have to wait for an opening to get a game.
My point is im not concerned that we have 4 number 1 rucks on our list. As long as 2 of them play good footy im happy.
FlyingSledgehamer it would be good if young Pierce could develop into a ruck/forward:thumbsu:

i believe pick 75. the rumour was that another club would have picked him up as a rookie so we got in first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back