Past Jason Roe (2006-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Jason Roe

Was one of six Lions to make the AFL websites round 12 team of the week (at CHB). Will be interesting to see if he retains his spot for round 13. He is more versatile then Henderson but I would prefer Henderson to play as he is younger and could pinch hit in the ruck.

Brisbane Lions defender Jason Roe playing for future

Marco Monteverde | June 25, 2009 12:00am

BRISBANE Lions defender Jason Roe, off contract at season's end, is playing for his AFL future.

Roe, 25, is desperate for an extended run in Brisbane's top team to improve his chances of being awarded a new deal.

A new Lions contract seemed beyond the 25-year-old's reach after his shocker against Geelong in Brisbane's embarrassing 93-point loss to the Cats in round 5.

But having worked hard on his game in the reserves, Roe had another chance in Brisbane's last-start 42-point win over Hawthorn in Launceston on June 14. His success at nullifying the danger of Hawks star Lance "Buddy" Franklin impressed Michael Voss.

The Lions coach said the performance had to be rewarded with selection against last-placed Melbourne at the Gabba on Saturday night, despite the return from injury of key defenders Daniel Merrett (ankle) and Joel Patfull (jaw) and, potentially, Josh Drummond (quad).

"I have given myself every opportunity to get selected again this week, but whether or not that happens I'm not quite sure," Roe said.

"I really missed being among the senior group, out there with the boys. Hopefully I can stay there for the rest of the year now - that's definitely a goal of mine.

"I want to be here at the club and I definitely hope it's not my last year."

He described his ordinary effort against Geelong at Skilled Stadium as "one of those games".

"That's footy - it's a rollercoaster," the Darwin product said.

"I needed to work on my second and third efforts.

"You have your ups and your downs - it's all part of it."

Source: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/afl/story/0,27046,25684715-5016169,00.html

Well done Roey on 50 games at the Lions. Whichever way you look at it, he deserves to be contragulated and becomes only the 43rd player at the Brisbane Lions to have done so.

There have been a lot worse players to have come through the door and whilst not blessed with exquisite skills, does his job. Of course he has had his bad moments and fair share of clangers, but he hardly gets the kudos when he does do well.

For that, awesome effort and from what I have been told from those that know him, he is a ripper bloke and unfairly targeted on occasions. Like me, he loves his dogs (literally, not the other kinds) which is another tick.:thumbsu:

He should be delisted. He has had his chances but he makes far too many skill errors and he has too many brain fades. His displays this year showed that enough is enough. He could lead the league in clangers.

Did anyone notice that the only person that passed the ball to him against Carlton was Patfull?

Not into bagging him on departure but it has been pretty clear for a while now that he just lacked that little spark, and pace, that makes the good AFL player.

Best wishes.

Trade?? What could we get for him??

anything would be nice, as per Corrie.
I wish him well in a new endeavour/club. I have never seen a player's form and confidence deteriorate so quickly.

He will be a great project for an Assistant coach. Leppa maybe?

Certainly didn't have the problems he has now when he first came to the lions. His first few years were pretty good, but instead of going forward, he stopped and starting going backwards. End of the day, i doubt we will get much for him, but good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bookmark me if you want.

Roe will go to another club and will develop into a quality player in a season if played from round 1, knowing he keeps his place.

Booming kick, fairly accurate, and can keep quality forwards quiet.

I'll be sad to see him go, and if anything think that this is a great chance for him if he gets picked up.

Am I the only one that thinks we should have kept him. He is tall quick, has good evasion skills, and is a good kick and mark. His big problem is that he had no awareness and couldn't make a decision to save himself. I have seen a few players like that where it all suddenly clicks and they become really good players, usually between 50 - 100 games. I think we are getting a similar type in Staker. I hope it all happens for him.

Good luck to Jason I would like to see him get picked up by some other team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back