werner

Team Captain
Mar 1, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Die Mannschaft
I love Jay. He has been a killer and one of our biggest trade wins ever!

But, something has happened. He hasn't looked right lately, spiralling all the way down to the Carlton match where he could possibly be labelled as a liability ....

Good players can certainly have s**t days, but they get the chance to make amends. Hitting the post when we needed him, just killed his teammates.

He has to be dropped. Kick 10 goals for the Eagles and come back as the Jay we love and know.

Whats happened to him? He looks pale in the face.

I love Jay. He has been a killer and one of our biggest trade wins ever!

But, something has happened. He hasn't looked right lately, spiralling all the way down to the Carlton match where he could possibly be labelled as a liability ....

Good players can certainly have s**t days, but they get the chance to make amends. Hitting the post when we needed him, just killed his teammates.

He has to be dropped. Kick 10 goals for the Eagles and come back as the Jay we love and know.

Whats happened to him? He looks pale in the face.
Wife went to Hospital 2 hours before the match. /Thread.

Sorry for not being privileged to such information. Yeah sure, if his wife is crook well fair enough.

Then again, this has been an issue for a few weeks now.

How about discussing this in a logic way rather than shooting down those that aren't in the inner circle?

His form is an issue.

e4d61fb69bd020315fbc32485ec6278a.jpg

Not sure what youre getting at. Woodville is his local team, yeah?

From 2014-onwards all Port Adelaide players play for Port Adelaide. If Schulz, or Boak, or Colquhoun, or Hartlett, or Jonas get dropped, they play for the Magpies.

From 2014-onwards all Port Adelaide players play for Port Adelaide. If Schulz, or Boak, or Colquhoun, or Hartlett, or Jonas get dropped, they play for the Magpies.
Yes of course, youre right. Got spooked at the thought of Jay getting dropped, never thought it was a possibility. Anyhow, I reload.

Sorry for not being privileged to such information. Yeah sure, if his wife is crook well fair enough.

Then again, this has been an issue for a few weeks now.

How about discussing this in a logic way rather than shooting down those that aren't in the inner circle?

His form is an issue.
All the Kamikaze injuries are catching up with him. A cut and paste of bits and pieces of an article by Rohan Connolly on Jay, last April.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...thrives-on-being-grounded-20140418-zqwa4.html
Even as a kid, let alone as an AFL player, Jay Schulz was renowned for a disregard for his personal safety if it was going to stand in the way of the sheer thrill of being alive and active.

What was more confronting as he pondered a lengthy spell on the sidelines was the fear that he may never get to experience the thrill of being part of a successful team.

As he lay in hospital recovering from serious internal bleeding, Schulz was in his 10th year as a senior footballer for precious little reward. By then, he’d played a total of 113 games with the Tigers and the Power for just 37 wins, a strike rate of 33 per cent.

Since Schulz got out of hospital in June 2012, he’s played in 33 games for 78 goals and leads the AFL goalkicking with 15 after his seven-goal haul against the Brisbane Lions last Saturday. His average of 2.3 contested marks a game and his excellent conversion rate of 83.3 per cent are also career highs. He’s kicked 170 goals for Port in 75 games. In 71 games for the Tigers, he managed only 58

Schulz certainly hasn’t lost his preparedness to launch himself at the ball or opponent without reservation, which is remarkable in itself given the seriousness of the injury he sustained when he collided with Justin Westhoff during Port’s round 12 game against the Western Bulldogs two seasons ago.

“It wasn’t a great deal of fun,” Schulz says of the clash, which left him in intensive care of a hospital ward with serious internal bleeding.

He had typically run back with the flight of the ball into an oncoming pack. “Westy’s knee went into my stomach and got me with a decent amount of force,” he says.

It pushed through into my back and burst my lumbar artery. I ended up having a blood clot in my stomach that was about the size of a small stick of mettwurst, and it was sitting vertically on my left side running down to my hip flexor.

“I couldn’t take blood thinners or anything because the clot was just like a sponge. I didn’t have to have surgery or have any of my bowel removed or anything like that; just had to wait for my body to get rid of it naturally. It was a pretty ordinary couple of weeks.”

“People probably say I’m a little bit crazy on the field at times and go for things I shouldn’t, but I train exactly the same way, because I know if I don’t, it’s not going to happen in games. I’m a firm believer in that old cliché, you play the way you train.

Kenny [Hinkley] and ‘Burgo’ [fitness manager Darren Burgess] try to tell me to back off a little bit, but I can’t really do that. I just sort of go into automatic pilot. Everyone is at me to be careful not to get injured, but my response usually is if I didn’t do that, they probably wouldn’t like me as a player.”
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...thrives-on-being-grounded-20140418-zqwa4.html

what this "inner circle" bizzo...

anyway s**t thread is s**t no matter what "circle" you are in.
Schulz is having a down season but he isnt alone. He gets double and triple teamed all the time because we have ZERO forward structure and no second tall forward to help him out. He gets reamed by the umpires harder that Tredders did in his hayday while our mids keep putting it on his head with multiple defenders all over him.

Yes he has missed some crucial goals that he would normally nail but singling out Schulz is wrong, and just not worthy of discussing IMO

Yes of course, youre right. Got spooked at the thought of Jay getting dropped, never thought it was a possibility. Anyhow, I reload.
Me too mate I've been having nightmares for weeks now. It's the same old story, Jays lining up for goal to win the game for us in front of a monster crowd. He's dead in front, he can't miss. He goes back and trips on his kick and kicks it straight in to the man on the mark and we lose the game. Then the dream cuts to Hinkley telling Jay that he is dropped for the next game and I wake up in a cold sweat, screaming at the very possibility of Jay being dropped. I'm terrified and I don't know what to do :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what this "inner circle" bizzo...

anyway s**t thread is s**t no matter what "circle" you are in.
Schulz is having a down season but he isnt alone. He gets double and triple teamed all the time because we have ZERO forward structure and no second tall forward to help him out. He gets reamed by the umpires harder that Tredders did in his hayday while our mids keep putting it on his head with multiple defenders all over him.

Yes he has missed some crucial goals that he would normally nail but singling out Schulz is wrong, and just not worthy of discussing IMO
Bullshit!!

I am not singling out Jay. The issue is that we lost yesterday and Jay was lamentable. He was a liability almost! Not my style to bag our own, more keen to solve the problems.

Mate we are broken!! Some things have to be fixed!!!

Bullshit!!

I am not singling out Jay. The issue is that we lost yesterday and Jay was lamentable. He was a liability almost! Not my style to bag our own, more keen to solve the problems.

Mate we are broken!! Some things have to be fixed!!!
totally agree we are broken. Our structure is broken. Our gameplan is broken. I am at a loss as much as you are

but calling for Schulz to be dropped? Are you serious? and bring in who to replace him? Butch? Harvey? Shaw?

Maybe we should drop our coaches and fitness staff because they have broken us this season.
When you have no forward structures and a s**t gameplan then players like Jay are going to struggle big time.
Josh Kennedy would kick bugger all goals if he was playing for us in the same role

totally agree we are broken. Our structure is broken. Our gameplan is broken. I am at a loss as much as you are

but calling for Schulz to be dropped? Are you serious? and bring in who to replace him? Butch? Harvey? Shaw?

Maybe we should drop our coaches and fitness staff because they have broken us this season.
When you have no forward structures and a s**t gameplan then players like Jay are going to struggle big time.
Josh Kennedy would kick bugger all goals if he was playing for us in the same role
If we were playing next week, any one of those three!

Weve gotta do something!! Something different!!

It's almost too late.

All the Kamikaze injuries are catching up with him. A cut and paste of bits and pieces of an article by Rohan Connolly on Jay, last April.

Even as a kid, let alone as an AFL player, Jay Schulz was renowned for a disregard for his personal safety if it was going to stand in the way of the sheer thrill of being alive and active.

What was more confronting as he pondered a lengthy spell on the sidelines was the fear that he may never get to experience the thrill of being part of a successful team.

As he lay in hospital recovering from serious internal bleeding, Schulz was in his 10th year as a senior footballer for precious little reward. By then, he’d played a total of 113 games with the Tigers and the Power for just 37 wins, a strike rate of 33 per cent.

Since Schulz got out of hospital in June 2012, he’s played in 33 games for 78 goals and leads the AFL goalkicking with 15 after his seven-goal haul against the Brisbane Lions last Saturday. His average of 2.3 contested marks a game and his excellent conversion rate of 83.3 per cent are also career highs. He’s kicked 170 goals for Port in 75 games. In 71 games for the Tigers, he managed only 58

Schulz certainly hasn’t lost his preparedness to launch himself at the ball or opponent without reservation, which is remarkable in itself given the seriousness of the injury he sustained when he collided with Justin Westhoff during Port’s round 12 game against the Western Bulldogs two seasons ago.

“It wasn’t a great deal of fun,” Schulz says of the clash, which left him in intensive care of a hospital ward with serious internal bleeding.

He had typically run back with the flight of the ball into an oncoming pack. “Westy’s knee went into my stomach and got me with a decent amount of force,” he says.

It pushed through into my back and burst my lumbar artery. I ended up having a blood clot in my stomach that was about the size of a small stick of mettwurst, and it was sitting vertically on my left side running down to my hip flexor.

“I couldn’t take blood thinners or anything because the clot was just like a sponge. I didn’t have to have surgery or have any of my bowel removed or anything like that; just had to wait for my body to get rid of it naturally. It was a pretty ordinary couple of weeks.”

“People probably say I’m a little bit crazy on the field at times and go for things I shouldn’t, but I train exactly the same way, because I know if I don’t, it’s not going to happen in games. I’m a firm believer in that old cliché, you play the way you train.

Kenny [Hinkley] and ‘Burgo’ [fitness manager Darren Burgess] try to tell me to back off a little bit, but I can’t really do that. I just sort of go into automatic pilot. Everyone is at me to be careful not to get injured, but my response usually is if I didn’t do that, they probably wouldn’t like me as a player.”

AFL key forwards are to NFL running backs. The accumulated damage is extraordinary.

I just hope the club as a whole uses the bye to do some very serious soul searching. Everybody is in this together, and we have to get out of this mess together. I'm not expecting a win against Sydney: on current form it'd be a bigger upset than Melbourne's win over Geelong. But what I AM expecting is a far better effort across the field, as well as a far better team morale, to give us longsuffering supporters a bit of hope that we can salvage something from the season.

Is reminding me of Tredders 2009 to 2010.

We all thought yep, the great man is back, 50+ goals, reliable accuracy, no significant injuries, we could eek a few more years out of him yet.

In 2010, no injuries in off season, roaring in to 2010 with renewed vigour and going 5 - 2 in the first 7 games, he was looking beaten and battered, kicking no more than 2 a game, doing his bit, but far removed from the monolithic performance the year prior. Unfortunately his career ended in one of the worst ways with Hoff (bloody Hoff) (or was it Logan?) snapping his Achilles and after a half hearted rehab, deciding to hang up the boots, passing the torch to Sarge.

2014, he kicks 60+, and we seem to have got him another big body mate to help him out forward and take some heat off him. Boy oh boy wower, we'll get a few years out of him yet!

Enters 2015 in ok form, before hitting his straps with 14 goals in 3 tense games. Yep, he's good. Appears to do an ankle vs West Coast, and has a drastic fall, looking inaccurate and physically unstable under the ball, a long way from the guy who put Brian Lake's knee out a few weeks beforehand just by holding his ground under the ball. Rumours of a contract dispute, starts a business which could take focus off footy, and wife in hospital is significant. Nonetheless, needs to fire up soon.

Unfortunately I'm starting to think that his strengths, best position and role, is not suited to 2015 port under Hinkley. He isn't getting the best out of himself and with the current game plan, I don't see how he is expected to.
His retirement could come sooner than I hoped.

Is still the most important player structurally to us and an early retirement will slam our flag window shut for the next 2 years at minimum.

Hopefully a week off will heal his body which leads to a bit more confidence mentally, and a strong end to 2015 but not an end to his career with us, and even if it did, has earned the right to be remembered alongside great players and great warriors of the AFL Port players.

Is reminding me of Tredders 2009 to 2010.

We all thought yep, the great man is back, 50+ goals, reliable accuracy, no significant injuries, we could eek a few more years out of him yet.

In 2010, no injuries in off season, roaring in to 2010 with renewed vigour and going 5 - 2 in the first 7 games, he was looking beaten and battered, kicking no more than 2 a game, doing his bit, but far removed from the monolithic performance the year prior. Unfortunately his career ended in one of the worst ways with Hoff (bloody Hoff) (or was it Logan?) snapping his Achilles and after a half hearted rehab, deciding to hang up the boots, passing the torch to Sarge.

2014, he kicks 60+, and we seem to have got him another big body mate to help him out forward and take some heat off him. Boy oh boy wower, we'll get a few years out of him yet!

Enters 2015 in ok form, before hitting his straps with 14 goals in 3 tense games. Yep, he's good. Appears to do an ankle vs West Coast, and has a drastic fall, looking inaccurate and physically unstable under the ball, a long way from the guy who put Brian Lake's knee out a few weeks beforehand just by holding his ground under the ball. Rumours of a contract dispute, starts a business which could take focus off footy, and wife in hospital is significant. Nonetheless, needs to fire up soon.

Unfortunately I'm starting to think that his strengths, best position and role, is not suited to 2015 port under Hinkley. He isn't getting the best out of himself and with the current game plan, I don't see how he is expected to.
His retirement could come sooner than I hoped.

Is still the most important player structurally to us and an early retirement will slam our flag window shut for the next 2 years at minimum.

Hopefully a week off will heal his body which leads to a bit more confidence mentally, and a strong end to 2015 but not an end to his career with us, and even if it did, has earned the right to be remembered alongside great players and great warriors of the AFL Port players.

Matt Thomas.

Separated his tib and fib at the ankle.

On my birthday. #synergy

easy mistake when everything that's depressing with our season is constantly on our minds, plus you're in Victoria? so cant expect you to be up on all the local league conditions of our players

More so than his form is Jay's kicking has been concerning at times. Not just his accuracy is down but he just lacks penetration in his shots on goal. Many of Jay's set shots haven't made the distance from inside 50m.

Having said that, he's been a legend of the club and would back him to turn things around. Really reckon this contract issue is playing on his mind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back