Official Club Stuff Jay Schulz staying at Port - Officially announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Would he continue to be doing renovations to his house if he was under financial stress?
No idea? When was the contract signed? How water tight is it from the builders point of view? What are the penalties if the breaks the contract? What sort of legal fees would he be up for if the builder took him to court? Would the missus walk out on him if he cancelled it and had to fight it in court? So many potential questions.

As I have said before I have no idea what Jay's situation is, but I suspect its a lot more complicated than why would he walk for only an extra $100k when after tax he only ends up with half of it. And if the $100k per year extra is actually somewhere in the $300k to $400k range over a guaranteed 2 year contract then it becomes a more complicated decision.

We hardly sold the farm to get Ryder. A low first and second round pick in what was largely considered a "meh" draft isn't a ridiculous amount at all. He's not on a massive salary either. Sure, 600k is a fair amount, but it's definitely not the reason we can't keep Schulz.

I'm more concerned about trying to get extensions done for Wingard, Wines and Hartlett done. As it stands right now, those three players have their contracts finish at the end of next season. Wines and Wingard at the very least are two A graders who are going to be getting a nice pay rise.

And that's the thing. Everyone of those players will be on more coin than Schulz, may already be on more coin than Schulz.

What other clubs would have their leading goal kicker of the last 5 years outside the top 5 or so paid?

Bringing me back to my point that the current coaching group isn't red hot on big goal kicking forwards, and that is begginging to permeate through supporter attitude.

Schulz isn't playing as well this year. That's obvious. Last year however he was equal second in the Coleman medal. Carn guys. Be reasonable. This attitude would've seen Tredrea on the outer during and for all years after 2007.

And that's the thing. Everyone of those players will be on more coin than Schulz, may already be on more coin than Schulz.

What other clubs would have their leading goal kicker of the last 5 years outside the top 5 or so paid?

Bringing me back to my point that the current coaching group isn't red hot on big goal kicking forwards, and that is begginging to permeate through supporter attitude.

Schulz isn't playing as well this year. That's obvious. Last year however he was equal second in the Coleman medal. Carn guys. Be reasonable. This attitude would've seen Tredrea on the outer during and for all years after 2007.

I thought Schultz struggled last year for periods too, you mentioned our coaching group isnt hot on big goal kicking forwards i think its more the case we dont have one, if we did it would be a different story. Schultz can take a hanger or needs to be hit on the chest going flat out, cant take a contested mark or out run/maneuver his opponent and falls to the ground too easily which makes him very limited. HE has been great for us but i could see these limitations flare up last year and again this year. Its coming to an end Port know it and say does Jay hence the contact stand off. i also think we have something up our sleeve for next season in the way of a forward our club knows the needs of our group and wouldve been well into a forward for a few years now.

Equal second with Hawkins, Roughead, for Coleman medal, and yet he isn't a goal kicker last year? Still comfortably second most goals for us this year? And 3rd for marks?

Pull the other one.

Equal second with Hawkins, Roughead, for Coleman medal, and yet he isn't a goal kicker last year? Still comfortably second most goals for us this year? And 3rd for marks?

Pull the other one.

Physically big no he is not, if you were referring to him being big as in kicking lots of goals he did kick plenty last year with our style of game of being able to get the ball in there fast and hit him on the lead. As for this year yeah well not too much to compare against!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he already knows that Carlise is coming here next year and will be on more coin that him. Due to this the club is only offering him a shorter contract at slightly a less amount as he will more than likely no longer be our #1 key forward.

Food for thought.

Maybe he already knows that Carlise is coming here next year and will be on more coin that him. Due to this the club is only offering him a shorter contract at slightly a less amount as he will more than likely no longer be our #1 key forward.

Food for thought.

As much as i love Jay, Carlise would be a huge upgrade!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed
If Jays not on it is more a symptom of our delivery
Love the guy
Beautiful kick including under pressure

Delivery AND structure.

I've said all year Jay has been positioned too high and too shallow, in no mans land between "too far for a handball" and "too close for a kick" from other players. No surprise his best games have come when he is played deeper, with room to move and lead.

And form. He's missed gimmes, no denying it, but he certainly isn't as bad as being made out by some here. Anyone would think he is some sort of Ian Perrie stop gap.

I wouldn't say we will need him next year, if we can get our tall forward options in order over the off-season[via trade or the current youngsters]

However I would like him too stay, but if he wants a longer than 2 year contract he is kidding himself.

The thing is with our young tall forwards, Im not sure why they havent been tested in AFL yet.

They dont need to be taking pack marks every time just get it to the ground and our crumbers Wingard and Gray are some of the best in the league.

Game time will help whoever it is learn to compete and take marks in packs and 1 on 1.

He didn't look well, almost a bit gaunt in fact....even a little older looking than his years
maybe he had a bug during the week...but hey he played ok i thought
Was at the airport as he was dropped off last week almost thought I should of helped him with his bags. He does look pretty banged up.

Pull the other one.
and our midfield's kicking into our forwards has been deplorable ,I think this thread needs a good edit .

so much pure speculation with little fact.

Would he continue to be doing renovations to his house if he was under financial stress?
He spent mega-bucks to do an almost complete rebuild of his house on East Tce Henley Beach a few years ago and then sold it withing 12 months of completion because it was too big (seven bedrooms, four bathrooms). It was on the market for $1.5M but I don't know if he got that.

Food for thought.

Carlisle? Source?

He spent mega-bucks to do an almost complete rebuild of his house on East Tce Henley Beach a few years ago and then sold it withing 12 months of completion because it was too big (seven bedrooms, four bathrooms). It was on the market for $1.5M but I don't know if he got that.

How do you not notice the renovation you ordered would make your house too big? Surely the equation two adults =/= seven bedrooms, four bathrooms is a clue? :confused: :D

How do you not notice the renovation you ordered would make your house too big? Surely the equation two adults =/= seven bedrooms, four bathrooms is a clue? :confused: :D
I was talking to the builder that did Jay's reno at the time and asked if Jay was building 2 or 4 apartments. I was surprised when told it was just one dwelling. :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back