Official Club Stuff Jay Schulz staying at Port - Officially announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be right on underpaying, but hey I think I am underpaid as well but I stay.

Great debate. A club that runs a business or a business that is a club? With a 40 million turnover and a 50000 stadium and 18 mill spend on our team. I vote it is a business that is a club

SANFL is a club that has a business

Great debate though!

SANFL couldn't run a brothel on shore leave.

AFL would be a better example of a club that runs a business. A boys club. Or that mob down the road.

Either way, loyalty to players is always rewarded. If we aren't loyal to our great players, then who would want to come to Port Adelaide? If we had a history of ******* people off, our way or the highway, would we have gotten Ryder? Polec?

I love that Sarge puts his heart and soul into each game - but he is at a stage that he is our 3rd tall forward now.
You don't give 3rd talls at 30 a generous contract extension.
Who's our 1st and 2nd tall then? At this stage Jay is the only player who plays forward the entire game. I do agree we have to be cautious with his contract.

Our 3 current talls are Hoff, Sarge, and Ryder. If any 2 were unavailable, leaving only one I am 100% Sarge would be the best of the bunch.

Still our number 1 tall forward.

Turned around his game after a very dry spell. 3 against Adelaide and Essendon and 2.2 today. One of the points was a fingernail short of a goal and the other was one you would usually expect him to get. Although the wind appeared to be a bit flukey and quite a few of both teams behinds were kicked from that area of the ground.

On TV it looked like he was covering ground no problem, hasn't lost any pace. Took some contested marks. I think he may genuinely have been out of form (like the rest of the side). I don't think he is actually slowing down too much yet. Reckon he has some footy left in him.

I just read somewhere else that Schulz was wearing last years guernsey. Must say I didn't notice it but has anyone noticed it at all? (I haven't seen a replay at all). Any reason why he would have?

Apologies if what I read was actually incorrect but thought I'd put it out there.

I just read somewhere else that Schulz was wearing last years guernsey. Must say I didn't notice it but has anyone noticed it at all? (I haven't seen a replay at all). Any reason why he would have?

Apologies if what I read was actually incorrect but thought I'd put it out there.
He was. A mate noticed in the second quarter and sent me a picture to confirm in the third quarter.

No idea why he would have been TBH.

Thanks MrSpeaker. Don't ever remember anything like that ever happening before. Must be a reason for it though. Would that attract any discipline from the AFL at all? Does anyone here know?

Check out this photo from the ozph1870 photo thread - Jay's guernsey has Renault on the front, the others have Renault on the back:

19606942283_3b992a6f46_b.jpg

I love that Sarge puts his heart and soul into each game - but he is at a stage that he is our 3rd tall forward now.
You don't give 3rd talls at 30 a generous contract extension.
No not at all
Shult'z's is still our main forward week in and week out
Hoff has his great moments
Ryder may become it but right now Shultzy is still the man week in and week out
Rudders a good kick but I'd still bet in Shultz for the highest amount if goals per hundred attempts especially from acute angles
Nothing to do with business
He's our best right now and deserves another good contract

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schulz's form turnaround has coincided with the glove coming back out.

New contract must stipulate a glove is to always be worn.

It's the Port Adelaide way.

460-oj-simpson_1001087c.jpg

Although still far from his best, yesterday I thought Jay played a better game than he has in the past.
I don't want to pay overs for him given his age, but I want him to remain at the club as long as he is able to!

Jay will sign, he is just trying to get the best deal he can possibly get. If its true he got offered a 2 year contract he should be very happy with that as usually we only give 1 year contracts to people over 30

if we don't sign him the Crows will be circling to poach him

lessen his workload by not traveling any further then the centre square and Jay wont be as fatigued , still has a lot to offer if served and managed right

Even with the long dry period, Jay has 35 goals and if he scores 14 in the last 5 games he will have equalled 2013's output in two less games.
Although his best year for return was 2014 with 66 goals in 25 games, 2012 could have been a better year as he scored 42 goals in 15 games fronting a team which had a 4-1-10 record when he was playing.

Got a lot more separation on his opponent this week. Seemed to move better and kept his feet most contests. Hope this continues as he is a favourite and I don't like seeing him struggle

Last edited:
The Schulz to *insert random club here* rumour is one of the most ludicrous I have ever heard, in fact I'm incredulous it's got any traction at all.

Who broke the "story"?
Damian Barrett.

Who is Jay Schulz's player manager?
Liam Pickering.

come on..

There's no way in hell Schulz is going anywhere, unless we've got Charlie Dixon and Jake Carlisle lined up to join come October.

The Schulz to *insert random club here* rumour is one of the most ludicrous I have ever heard, in fact I'm incredulous it's got any traction at all.

Who broke the "story"?
Damian Barrett.

Who is Jay Schulz's player manager?
Liam Pickering.

come on..

There's no way in hell Schulz is going anywhere, unless we've got Charlie Dixon and Jake Carlisle lined up to join come October.

The rumours are gaining traction due to the fact Schulz is leaving it so late in the season to make a decision. I for one think it's about contract length and not money. Hopefully when push comes to shove he gets a 1 year deal with an option of 2 based on his performance in 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back