Official Club Stuff Jay Schulz staying at Port - Officially announced

Remove this Banner Ad

No, it's a club that runs a business.

But...

As a business, we've gotten away with underpaying our best performer in a particular field for a long time now, so are we a fair business that values it's people, or a campaigner?

Could be right on underpaying, but hey I think I am underpaid as well but I stay.

Great debate. A club that runs a business or a business that is a club? With a 40 million turnover and a 50000 stadium and 18 mill spend on our team. I vote it is a business that is a club

SANFL clubs are a club that has a business

Great debate though!

Check out this photo from the ozph1870 photo thread - Jay's guernsey has Renault on the front, the others have Renault on the back:

19606942283_3b992a6f46_b.jpg
Great.
Now we're not even paying him enough to buy a new shirt.

Jay Schulz’s contract stocks are tumbling, Brisbane Lions declare they have no interest:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...have-no-interest/story-fni5f9de-1227468416774
If we foolishly take that article on face value the Saints don't have salary cap issues and could be willing to pay well over the odds on a 2 or 3 year deal. Jay wouldn't be a bad fit there. If we have a 2 year deal in front of Jay at a reasonable reward for his efforts and he's not interested I wonder what trade could be worked? Between Jay, Kane and Butch we would be freeing up maybe 800ks in the salary cap?

If we foolishly take that article on face value the Saints don't have salary cap issues and could be willing to pay well over the odds on a 2 or 3 year deal. Jay wouldn't be a bad fit there. If we have a 2 year deal in front of Jay at a reasonable reward for his efforts and he's not interested I wonder what trade could be worked? Between Jay, Kane and Butch we would be freeing up maybe 800ks in the salary cap?

You'd have to ignore the Saints well known age profile philosophy and list management strategy that has seen a few senior players depart.

He was. A mate noticed in the second quarter and sent me a picture to confirm in the third quarter.

No idea why he would have been TBH.
is last year's guernsey different to this years? Is it just the renault on the front instead of back? Thought they still chopped and changed which logo goes on the front.

Interesting tracking the "we barely have the money to retain Schulz" vs "we have the money to attract Dixon/Carlisle" trains of thought.

Perhaps we barely have the money after adding both Dixon and Carlisle.......oh and I forgot Fyfe

And just before that, "Port have 1.2mil to spend on Tex Walker", *Spends 600k on Ryder*....."Port have no money".

The way I see it is money is fine. Kornes (approx 300k) is gone, Butcher may follow (or at least be on 250k less than what he is currently on if rookied).

I reckon we could use 400-600k on 1 player (possibly a KPF (If one or both of Schulz/Butcher go) or fwd flanker/outside mid) this trade period and draft kids with our other picks.

wasn't Kornes on the veteran list where something like only 1/2 his salary counted on the salary cap? surely Jay can go on it for 2016/17 though I think you had to play at the club for 10 years to qualify? 2010 joining Port wouldn't qualify :(, but props up likely finalists Freo/Hawthorn/Geelong/Nth Melb to retain all the experience :thumbsdown:

wasn't Kornes on the veteran list where something like only 1/2 his salary counted on the salary cap? surely Jay can go on it for 2016/17 though I think you had to play at the club for 10 years to qualify? 2010 joining Port wouldn't qualify :(, but props up likely finalists Freo/Hawthorn/Geelong/Nth Melb to retain all the experience :thumbsdown:
Nope - From the October 2013 Player Rules

25. Veterans
25.1 Veterans’ Transition
(a) Commencing 1 November 2012, subject to Rules 25.1(b), (c), (d), Clubs may nominate a Player or Players as Veterans in accordance with either 25.2 or 25.3.
(b) A Club may operate under Rule 25.2 if the Club has on its List a Player:
(i) who qualifies as Veteran in accordance with Rule 25.2(c) during the term of his current contract; and
(ii) whose current contract pre-exists 1 November 2011,.....

Kornes signed 1 year contracts so he was a veteran under the new rules

25.2 Veterans – Old Allowance May Still Operate
25.3 Veterans – TPP Allowance
(a) Each Club May Nominate Veterans
Subject to Rule 25.1, a Club may for each Football Year nominate any number of Players on its Primary List as a Veteran provided that the Player or Players are eligible under Rule 25.3(b) and the Club notifies the AFL in accordance with Rule 25.3(c).
(b) Eligibility
A Player is eligible to be nominated as a Veteran under this Rule 25.3 if the Player has been included on the relevant Club’s List (including the Rookie List) for a period of 10 consecutive Football Years.
(c) Procedure for Notification
Where a Club proposes to nominate a Player on its Primary List as a Veteran under this Rule 25.3, an Officer of the Club shall lodge by the date nominated by the AFL a “Notification of Veteran(s)” in the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 24.
(d) Treatment of Football Payments
For Total Player Payment purposes, an amount equivalent to 1.229% of the Total Player Payment Limit in each year for each Veteran nominated in accordance with Rule 25.3(c) shall be excluded from Total Player Payments.

Originally in the CBA 2012-16 schedule B item 1, the TPP in 2015 and 2016 were $9,921,000 and $10,219,000 respectively but they would be reviewed in 2014 and increased if the AFL revenue streams were above budget. In 2014 the review occurred and an increase was made to the TPP for 2015 and 2016.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-05/salary-cap-safeguards-for-players-confirmed
Adam McNicol June 5, 2014 4:14 PM
THE AFL has confirmed the salary cap will rise beyond $10 million next season.

The cap will rise by $150,000 in each of the next two years, taking the Total Player Payments limit to $10.071 million in 2015 and $10.36 million in 2016. Both the League and the AFL Players' Association confirmed the change after the two parties wrapped up the mid-term review of the players' collective bargaining agreement.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-05/salary-cap-safeguards-for-players-confirmed

so Kane's veteran allowance outside the cap was $10,071,000 x 1.229% = $123,773. Given minimum match payment fees are $3,500 in 2015, I reckon Kane's package was probably around $250k base and $5k per game

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/fr...ooter-jay-schulz/story-fndv8s6g-1227470078250
Fremantle targets Port Adelaide sharpshooter Jay Schulz
FREMANTLE has emerged as a likely new home for Port Adelaide forward Jay Schulz.

With Matthew Pavlich’s future unclear beyond this season, the Dockers have indicated to Schulz they would be willing to sign him on a two-year contract at season’s end.
Fremantle is desperate to bolster its forward line in a bid to keep its premiership window open and is eyeing the 30-year-old sharpshooter as an ideal marking target inside-50m.
A source close to Schulz told the Herald Sun he was seriously considering the move west after rebuffing the Power’s last two contract offers.
More..
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/fr...ooter-jay-schulz/story-fndv8s6g-1227470078250
Interesting ... maybe bull..........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle targets Port Adelaide sharpshooter Jay Schulz
FREMANTLE has emerged as a likely new home for Port Adelaide forward Jay Schulz.

With Matthew Pavlich’s future unclear beyond this season, the Dockers have indicated to Schulz they would be willing to sign him on a two-year contract at season’s end.
Fremantle is desperate to bolster its forward line in a bid to keep its premiership window open and is eyeing the 30-year-old sharpshooter as an ideal marking target inside-50m.
A source close to Schulz told the Herald Sun he was seriously considering the move west after rebuffing the Power’s last two contract offers.
More..
Interesting ... maybe bull..........

lulz.

If he did leave, I honestly wouldn't mind. Twilight of his career and all that, but gut feel is he will stay.

lulz.

If he did leave, I honestly wouldn't mind. Twilight of his career and all that, but gut feel is he will stay.

Surely that depends on who, if anyone, we get to replace him? The net result will be key.

FWIW, which is very little, he was still celebrating his goals with the crowd on Sunday.

Surely that depends on who, if anyone, we get to replace him? The net result will be key.

FWIW, which is very little, he was still celebrating his goals with the crowd on Sunday.

We wont have him forever, and it may be the case that we don't have any ready-made replacement. Other teams have coped, and so will we. It happens.

Make no mistake, we'd be losing a champion of our club in it's AFL era, and it seems to be happening not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Well not I, I've got a lot of noise to keep making.

I am sorry but if Schulz leaves this club because of money it will once and for all prove that their is no loyalty left in footy. We gave Schulz another chance, one he probably didn't deserve after his form with Richmond. The club has done everything right for jay and his family up to this point and if he leaves because he will get better money else where it would be the biggest load of crap. If true Jay needs to think about who he wants to be remembered as.

I am sorry but if Schulz leaves this club because of money it will once and for all prove that their is no loyalty left in footy. We gave Schulz another chance, one he probably didn't deserve after his form with Richmond. The club has done everything right for jay and his family up to this point and if he leaves because he will get better money else where it would be the biggest load of crap. If true Jay needs to think about who he wants to be remembered as.

Are you forgetting he has suffered a variety of freak and threatening injuries, and come back, sometimes, early, every single time? On top of not having a game off once in the last 3 years when it has been clear he has been very sore and injured? He has given absolutely everything for us in this time, and as an individual he's entitled to ask for a bit back. He has signed numerous extensions with little to no fuss every other time and made the club's job easy.

typical manager trying to milk the most, i would suspect a move to WA wouldnt be a great deal more, Schulz is a good player and certainly has another year left in him, i wouldnt want to loose him for the sake of 50,000k. Its not surprising that this has come out the day after Brisbane said they didnt want him. I dont think Freo really want him either unless its highly performance based

Remove this Banner Ad

Back