Jed Adcock and Brisbane Lions Part Ways

Remove this Banner Ad

Adcock to the Suns makes very little sense to me TBH. If he isn't going to get a game for us why would he get a game for the Suns?
We don't know all of what has been said. He might have a role after footy with the club. I think it is a good fit with everything that has gone on for them this year and getting another mature (former captain) person into their club to help lead them is a positive.

We don't know all of what has been said. He might have a role after footy with the club. I think it is a good fit with everything that has gone on for them this year and getting another mature (former captain) person into their club to help lead them is a positive.

I still don't see it mate. I can see the positive for Jed but not for the Suns TBH.

I still don't see it mate. I can see the positive for Jed but not for the Suns TBH.

Maybe Malceski isn't providing the leadership they need in defence or they want to release Malceski up the ground. Or are happy to take him as depth.

Not sure I get that, they've got Malceski and Kolodjashnij as their rebounding defenders with a few others who could slot in there that I'd expect to be ahead of Adcock.

In saying that, I believe Jed has just gotten his kid into a good school up here, so it's entirely possible he doesn't want to move interstate and the Suns are happy to give him a shot.

Agreed. One of their big problems is they have too many mid-sized flankers who can't spend any length of time in the midfield. They don't need another one.

Sometimes, other clubs can see something in a player that we don't. Adcock is still a pretty hard at it type. He tackles well. He had a reputation of setting high standards in his preparation. He's a family man so isn't the type to go out on the piss. Maybe the Suns would like to bring that sort of character into the club. From their perspective, it costs them a list spot and a little bit of salary for someone who might prove to be good insurance. I think the expansion clubs are still in a strange position because of their age profile. The Suns have only got 5 players born before 1990. Adcock keeps some maturity on the list.

From Adcock's perspective, he surely isn't going there with the expectation of more senior footy. But hearing "there's no guarantee of senior footy" from your current club is probably harsher than hearing it from a new club. At least at a new club, you might feel there's a clean slate and that, if you put in, the door to senior footy is still open.

Last year, the Suns picked up Raines as rainy day insurance. He probably didn't bring much to the Suns on field but neither did they lose a whole lot in the process.

It now makes perfect sense. Greg Boughton has announced his retirement today. Jed looks like a perfect replacement, mature hard bodied small rebounding defender.

Willing to bet Jed would have played a large amount of games for us next year despite the narrative from the club. It seems to me the problem is more game plan related rather than talent, or perhaps being out of alignment with the coach as to his role. That, plus we have cover for him as both a defensive forward (Robbo x 2) and as a mid-sized back flanker (Cutler, Harwood).

Willing to bet Jed would have played a large amount of games for us next year despite the narrative from the club. It seems to me the problem is more game plan related rather than talent, or perhaps being out of alignment with the coach as to his role. That, plus we have cover for him as both a defensive forward (Robbo x 2) and as a mid-sized back flanker (Cutler, Harwood).

I think it's 100% to do with the fact he will not be at the club for our next finals push in 2018 and the club looking to get 60 games into the kids as quickly as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee it is almost impossible to see happening now, but if the response of other clubs to Adcock is luke-warm then it would be great if we could keep in on our list in semi-coaching / development role (not to mention pinch hitting in the seniors, where we will probably need top up experience at various times throughout 2016).

I remember being at the game he talks about in his interview as his best.

Lions vs. Collingwood at the MCG in 2007 - round 17 - we won 149 to 56 in front of 45,000. It was our fourth win in a row in a late season resurgence.

It was the match Brennan kicked 7 goals 5. Jed himself kicked 4 goals and had 27 touches. (Browny kicked 3 goals 3 and Rhan Hooper had 23 touches and 3 goals 2!)
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2007/041920070728.html

I remember that night I was calling Jed 'Bunton' - he was playing like an absolute star and wearing the number 7 worn by (IMHO) the best footy player of all time, Fitzroy's Haydn Bunton Sr.

I remember being at the game he talks about in his interview as his best.

Lions vs. Collingwood at the MCG in 2007 - round 17 - we won 149 to 56 in front of 45,000. It was our fourth win in a row in a late season resurgence.

It was the match Brennan kicked 7 goals 5. Jed himself kicked 4 goals and had 27 touches. (Browny kicked 3 goals 3 and Rhan Hooper had 23 touches and 3 goals 2!)
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2007/041920070728.html

I remember that night I was calling Jed 'Bunton' - he was playing like an absolute star and wearing the number 7 worn by (IMHO) the best footy player of all time, Fitzroy's Haydn Bunton Sr.
Jed's form in the second half of 2007 was borderline elite. He dominated out of the midfield against the Blues at the Gabba the day Browny kicked 10!

Geez after today you'd think we'd go back and have a chat to him to see if he'd stick around. Played an outstanding game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to think that it has more to do with money then relationship problems with the coach, considering we had an offer on the table earlier in the season which he rejected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back