Player Watch #36 Jeff Garlett - 2017 AA Squad

Had the offence occurred now i would have been furious, but seeing how this was committed at his time at Carlton and he has simply lost track of his court date time, i'm ok with a simple nature of this scenario. Although as a club sanctions will still need to be imposed
He almost lost his career for being an idiot, you'd think he might see fit to remember his dates in court or at least tell his future employer that he's going under for a DUI before he's even kicked a ball?

He almost lost his career for being an idiot, you'd think he might see fit to remember his dates in court or at least tell his future employer that he's going under for a DUI before he's even kicked a ball?
I didn't read into it to well sorry, for some reason i thought this was the night club incident, in which the club was aware of his actions. I did not realise this was an incident in which Jeff did not inform the club and it was a serious offence such as drink driving. Well it is stupid to hide it from the club or not mention it, i'm sure the club would have helped out. and Jeff must abide by the legal system like everyone else, if he has a court date issued he must show up. More importantly while my last statement seemed care free, i probably should have worded it better because i absolutely don't condone drink driving. simply not because of the bad exposure were getting now or the trouble Jeff is in at the moment but the fact that an innocent life may have been lost last years due to Jeff's negligent actions. For such a serious offence, he should be at the court when summoned, apologise for actions and incur the penalty, regardless of what it means to us as a football club

Also were Carlton aware of this incident taking place?

Last edited:
I personally think the majority of you are over-reacting to this. He hasn't really done anything wrong. Or at least, nothing as bad as the offense itself. Which was a LONG time ago. And at Carlton, might I add. Okay, he may have failed to inform the club. He may have missed his court date. But it is really the end of the world? Is it enough for some of our supporters to suddenly banish him from the club? Cause I don't think it is. "Send him to the VFL" or whatever it was.. how about, NO! The date will be reset, he'll go in and accept whatever he needs too. Case closed. And come round 1 when he plays a fxckin pearler? You'll all be back on the bandwagon. So don't let one silly incident define a player before he's even played. Over-reacting, I tell you!

Perhaps he was having so much fun, being so very focused on the task at hand, now being at a DECENT club (as opposed to the rabble he's come from), that anything else before now had simply slipped his mind? Who knows. But I'm sure there's a logical explanation for all of this. Give the man a chance, ffs. #SafeJeffy

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I personally think the majority of you are over-reacting to this. He hasn't really done anything wrong. Or at least, nothing as bad as the offense itself. Which was a LONG time ago. And at Carlton, might I add. Okay, he may have failed to inform the club. He may have missed his court date. But it is really the end of the world? Is it enough for some of our supporters to suddenly banish him from the club? Cause I don't think it is. "Send him to the VFL" or whatever it was.. how about, NO! The date will be reset, he'll go in and accept whatever he needs too. Case closed. And come round 1 when he plays a fxckin pearler? You'll all be back on the bandwagon. So don't let one silly incident define a player before he's even played. Over-reacting, I tell you!

Perhaps he was having so much fun, being so very focused on the task at hand, now being at a DECENT club (as opposed to the rabble he's come from), that anything else before now had simply slipped his mind? Who knows. But I'm sure there's a logical explanation for all of this. Give the man a chance, ffs. #SafeJeffy

Yeah, nah. Considering the guy is already waiting on his day in court for the night out assault charges, not informing the club about the DUI and driving without a license charges is deliberately dishonest. The guy forgot about his charges and court date? Spare me. He'd be reminded of the fact every time he doesn't drive his car to training. If it's not that big of a deal, why not come clean about it and start fresh at a new club? I doubt Jeffy Garlett keeps his own calender, which makes me wonder how much Pickering had to do with this.

And it's hardly one silly incident is it? It's the latest in a trend of stupid incidents. He probably won't get sacked, but he should absolutely be on 2.5 strikes after this with someone ready to hold the door open for him. The logical explanation for all of this is that he's a career bell end.

Meh. They'll do whatever they have to do really. And I'm sure it won't even be that bad. If he does something else, fine. But for now, he should be alright. I don't think this mistake in particular is enough to want him gone. That's all. - punishment, yes. But nothing crazy. imo, anyway. Which I know most won't agree with. :drunk: lolz

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I get where you're coming from but if the club thinks he's intentionally tried to hide these charges, it'd be understandable and justified to rip up his contract. If he's got a penchant for telling porky pies, he's hardly taking his "rehabilitation" or whatever you want to call the move here to heart. Judging by the tone of the MFC press post, that looks unlikely.

Also keep in mind here ol' Jeffy could end up in jail given his assault charge, DUI charge, unlicensed charge and any priors he may and probably has. Can't see that throwing himself at the mercy of the court is going to work given he failed to show up first time around... the very model of contrition.

Meh. They'll do whatever they have to do really. And I'm sure it won't even be that bad. If he does something else, fine. But for now, he should be alright. I don't think this mistake in particular is enough to want him gone. That's all. - punishment, yes. But nothing crazy. imo, anyway. Which I know most won't agree with. :drunk: lolz
I don't think anyone wants him gone (least of all me) considering how much we need a small forward, but it's an embarrassment to the club who put their trust in him and it speaks for his attitude.

Nobody forgets that they have to go to court for being clocked at 2x the legal limit whilst unlicensed. As said earlier, the fact that he can't drive to training would be enough of a reminder.

This on top of the stuff we already knew...who knows what else he's hiding?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Whether he forgot or not he still has done something very stupid. We didn't give up much for him so it isn't like we are ****ed if he goes off the rails, but if he has another mistake like this I'd hope the club would rip up his contract. Sounds harsh but he already stuffed up at Carlton and I wouldn't be giving him many chances here.

Whether he forgot or not he still has done something very stupid. We didn't give up much for him so it isn't like we are stuffed if he goes off the rails, but if he has another mistake like this I'd hope the club would rip up his contract. Sounds harsh but he already stuffed up at Carlton and I wouldn't be giving him many chances here.

We knew what we were getting ourselves into. If we committed him to a two year contract then we should be willing to deal with his issues for two years. The club wants him but also should be willing to work with him to help him sort out his personal issues. If he makes no progress at the end of his contract then turf him then. Otherwise it would be a pointless exercise to even recruit him in the first place.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Happened before he got here, who gives a s**t? It's irrelevant to his MFC career.

*s**t act drink driving though

... unless he gets jail time. That may impact his ability to train and play. Might help him bulk up a bit though.

Extremely unlikely he'd get jail time.
The judge wasn't impressed in the slightest. This won't help with any good behavior bonds re. The other incident.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The judge wasn't impressed in the slightest. This won't help with any good behavior bonds re. The other incident.

I'm confused about the assault incident , is that the one when him an robinson got belted

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yep

Garlett is also facing 1 count of Affray which he is contesting was self defence

That's what I'm not getting , how maybe people get belted and charged with assault, I thought they got jumped and lied to the club cause they were out late
They weren't out hitting blokes were they

Viney

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2006
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Melbourne
That's what I'm not getting , how maybe people get belted and charged with assault, I thought they got jumped and lied to the club cause they were out late
They weren't out hitting blokes were they

Not sure exactly what he's accused of

Affray can be a verbal threat of violence

Edit: Garlett isn't facing any Assault charges, just 1 count of Affray

We knew what we were getting ourselves into. If we committed him to a two year contract then we should be willing to deal with his issues for two years. The club wants him but also should be willing to work with him to help him sort out his personal issues. If he makes no progress at the end of his contract then turf him then. Otherwise it would be a pointless exercise to even recruit him in the first place.
I'm sure there are get out clauses in the that the MFC could use to terminate in certain circumstances.

AFL: Dees favour hard bodies for opening game: Mahoney

After a solid training session on Friday that included match simulation, football manager Josh Mahoney told AFL.com.au he expected new recruits Heritier Lumumba, Jeff Garlett, Sam Frost and Ben Newton to be given plenty of game time to adjust to the Demons’ system ahead of round one.

He said the club would however introduce its younger players more gradually.

"Lumumba, Garlett, Frost, Newton will feature heavily in it [the NAB Challenge]," Mahoney said.

So what ever process the club is taking with Jeff, it won't hinder his game preparation at least.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The drink driving was poor, but I don't think the rest is worth losing a career over , clearly it's better for him to be around an afl environmental

Back