News Jeff Kennett says time for Eddie McGuire to stand down as Collingwood president

Pick one ...

• Stale bread covered with green mould

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • A carton of milk right at its use-by date

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • A good wine vintage maturing in the bottle

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Honey can virtually last forever

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

FORMER Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett says the time has come for Eddie McGuire to stand down as Collingwood president.

McGuire, who was elected president of the Magpies when they were dwindling at the bottom of the AFL ladder and in financial trouble, has helped his beloved club return to powerhouse status over the past 16 years, which included a premiership in 2010.

However the Pies have suffered a form slump during the second half of this season and are likely to miss the finals for the first time in nine years.

Kennett said Collingwood needed a fresh face in the president’s chair.

I tend to agree a Bit with Kennett.

The club at the Moment is a tad Stale in my mind.

And some new people in might not be the Worse Idea in the World.

Though it is Jeff Kennett;)

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...ngwood-president/story-fniv64s8-1227031916206

Haha, Jeff Kennett, this is the same bloke who wanted the Hawks coach sacked in round 1 of what would go on to be a premiership year.

tumblr_ml21gwfH7M1s0hia6o1_500.gif

Eddie is only good thing at Collingwood at the moment.....as if we would sack him thank god the club is smarter than the media and most of its supporters.

Disagree strongly, Eddie exemplifies everything that is Collingwood.
Racial vilification.......... When Eddie made that mistake he lost me. Love him for the work he has done and the holes he he dug our club out of during the hard times, but everyone has a expirary date, when it comes to work. Kennett is smart enough to realise this, Eddie should be too.

Eddie bleeds black and white.

Imagine if he stood down and was replaced by some businessman who saw the club as an only a money maker. Would expect to see a whole lot more Dance Troupe.

The President is there to serve the Collingwood Football Club its supporters and members. Eddie has done a monumental job of doing this for over a decade. But I think it would be remiss to think that he is entitled to the position. But for there to be any change there needs to be someone out there willing, able and better at the job than Eddie. This should be square in everyone's mind whenever this debate comes up. There needs to be a legitimate alternative. My biggest concern is that Eddie has become such a larger than life figure at the club that those that could do a fantastic job are not willing to throw themselves in the ring against him. I just don't think that is healthy.

This is where Kennett's view comes in. His views on presidential terms are squarely rooted in his political background. There is sound reasoning to support this. And sound reason not to.

We'll be forever indebted for what our Club has achieved under Ed but there's a single strong reason why I wouldn't be against him stepping down.
Him and Bucks are entwined and Ed has cornered himself with the needles contract extension so I'd like to have someone free of that burden to make a ruling on our future direction.

Eddie's doing a fine job. Record memberships, redevelopments, big sponsorships. Not his fault we are rebuilding, it happens to the best of them.

Eddie bleeds black and white.

Imagine if he stood down and was replaced by some businessman who saw the club as an only a money maker. Would expect to see a whole lot more Dance Troupe.

I think if Eddie Stepped down that Craig Kelly would become President

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't disagree with him as much as I should but I also don't think it's time for him to stand down.

I feel that around any organization it's wise to not have the same person in the same role for so long but I can't really fault Eddie much, he has saved our club and he leaves on his terms.

It had to be Jeff Kennett writing this article, the same guy who said he would love it if Hawthorn were the first club that had a woman playing for them in the AFL. Wako Kenno!

Racial vilification.......... When Eddie made that mistake he lost me. Love him for the work he has done and the holes he he dug our club out of during the hard times, but everyone has a expirary date, when it comes to work. Kennett is smart enough to realise this, Eddie should be too.
You have got to be kidding me, he made a mistake while trying to diss the movie industry.

To hold anything against him for that is just nonsensical. He is not Racist, and everyone with any sense can work that out.

Sorry guys but I agree with Jeff Eddie has been great but it's time to move on.

Just like when Jeff called for Clarkson to move aside last year......then what happened...oh yer...they won a flag.
Kennett is an over inflated hot air balloon.
Eddie has done a remarkable job (with little thanks or appreciation).
Change for changes sake never works.
Until there is an obvious 'better choice', Eddie should stay.

The President is there to serve the Collingwood Football Club its supporters and members. Eddie has done a monumental job of doing this for over a decade. But I think it would be remiss to think that he is entitled to the position. But for there to be any change there needs to be someone out there willing, able and better at the job than Eddie. This should be square in everyone's mind whenever this debate comes up. There needs to be a legitimate alternative. My biggest concern is that Eddie has become such a larger than life figure at the club that those that could do a fantastic job are not willing to throw themselves in the ring against him. I just don't think that is healthy.

This is where Kennett's view comes in. His views on presidential terms are squarely rooted in his political background. There is sound reasoning to support this. And sound reason not to.

Eddie is Mountain and any challenger to him is will be Viper

Happy with Eddie to remain as President of Collingwood

I think his contribution is $$$ & connections rather than time.
He wouldn't enjoy the high profile media attention (I think).
You may be right, wasn't there talk about Craig Stewart sometime ago? Maybe not so interested if his son not at Collingwood.

Back