News Jeff Kennett says time for Eddie McGuire to stand down as Collingwood president

Pick one ...

• Stale bread covered with green mould

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • A carton of milk right at its use-by date

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • A good wine vintage maturing in the bottle

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Honey can virtually last forever

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You have got to be kidding me, he made a mistake while trying to diss the movie industry.

To hold anything against him for that is just nonsensical. He is not Racist, and everyone with any sense can work that out.
He's not a racist (theres a big difference between a racist and making casual racist comments by the way) but that is the second racist comment to slip out of his mouth in the last few years. It was a mistake and he didn't mean it but that's not the point. Eddies used by date is done imo. Eddie been tired for a while now, we need a fresh approach imo.

Last edited:
What happens with Eddie is our business, not Jeff Kennett's. There may be a good reason to start thinking about change at the top for us, and then again there may not be. Its complicated, it needs careful consideration, it needs Collingwood people involved. Basically, its Pie business.

I have never used this word before - a word I learned after joining BigFooty - but Jeff Kennet is a FLOG!

Jeff is a campaigner. The hypocrisy of him being chair of Beyond Blue is quite sickening. * of and disappear back under your rock Jeff. Leave us out of your relevance deprivation syndrome acting out.

He's not a racist (theres a big difference between a racist and making casual racist comments by the way) but that is the second racist comment to slip out of his mouth in the last few years. It was a mistake and he didn't mean it but that's not the point. Eddies used by date is done imo. Eddie been tired for a while now, we need a fresh approach imo.
100% okay for you to have an opinion on Eddies future with the club, even though i disagree.

But if you don't think he intentionally was racist and you understand he was genuinely apologetic, why is it relevant? Doesn't define his personality in any way and has no bearing on his ability to be the President of a football club.

We'll be forever indebted for what our Club has achieved under Ed but there's a single strong reason why I wouldn't be against him stepping down.
Him and Bucks are entwined and Ed has cornered himself with the needles contract extension so I'd like to have someone free of that burden to make a ruling on our future direction.
What a big load of s**t.

Yes, Ed should be held responsible for our second half of the season form/fitness slump and step down, it's as clear as day.

100% okay for you to have an opinion on Eddies future with the club, even though i disagree.

But if you don't think he intentionally was racist and you understand he was genuinely apologetic, why is it relevant? Doesn't define his personality in any way and has no bearing on his ability to be the President of a football club.
Happy for you and others to defend him and say hes the future at colingwood. I also wouldn't be totally against him representing us because his heart in the right place. Now to answer your question. Its realavent because its the second time hes made comments of this nature. He represents my club and I dont want comments of this sort being sprouted by our no. 1 representative with the poor record of racist outbursts our club has been associated with in the past. He has been sloppy with his comments in the last few years and he needs to be careful. Again just my opinion. I might leave it at that, I dont want to derail this thread.

What a big load of s**t.

Yes, Ed should be held responsible for our second half of the season form/fitness slump and step down, it's as clear as day.
Grouse post mate, bet you high-fived yourself typing it.

Pity it has nothing to do with what I meant.

Kennett is one of the biggest campaigners on the face of the earth.

Whatever he says, do the opposite.
There's truth in this.

Eddie has put a lot of chips on Bucks, and extended him as an act of faith rather than based on results. Thats the President's call, but this is only McGuire's second coaching choice and the first was a 2 flag no-brainer do he hasn't got much form.

That said Bucks is a student of the game. He improved as a leader each year he was at the club, from a bloke with no idea what effect his harshness on himself had on (or looked like) to those around him to a steady leader who made others better. i think he will find ways to reach players he does't reach now, and when and how to be demonstrative to back up messages.

It took Bucks about seven years to loosen the hell up. I don't think Eddie will give him that time without something, a top 4 finish i guess so we better hope for a lucky break next year so he can earn some more time.

There's truth in this.

Eddie has put a lot of chips on Bucks, and extended him as an act of faith rather than based on results. Thats the President's call, but this is only McGuire's second coaching choice and the first was a 2 flag no-brainer do he hasn't got much form.

That said Bucks is a student of the game. He improved as a leader each year he was at the club, from a bloke with no idea what effect his harshness on himself had on (or looked like) to those around him to a steady leader who made others better. i think he will find ways to reach players he does't reach now, and when and how to be demonstrative to back up messages.

It took Bucks about seven years to loosen the hell up. I don't think Eddie will give him that time without something, a top 4 finish i guess so we better hope for a lucky break next year so he can earn some more time.

But can we wait for him to keep Improving?

But can we wait for him to keep Improving?
Thats where he needs a break.

Malthouse took a side that probably couldn't win to a GF in 2002. That alone gave him another five years. Loosing in 2003 when we were a real chance didn't lessen that. In 2007 Eddie threw his respected mate Malthouse a bone, with a deal to get his respected mate Buckley in smoothly.

By this equation Bucks (who has done less in his first three years than Mick) is right now in his endgame and a GF appearance is the minimum to change that trajectory. I suspect McGuire will give him even more slack than MM was given, so top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Racial vilification.......... When Eddie made that mistake he lost me. Love him for the work he has done and the holes he he dug our club out of during the hard times, but everyone has a expirary date, when it comes to work. Kennett is smart enough to realise this, Eddie should be too.

so either he goes or you go?...lol

Geez. I get accused of trolling three times a day so let me get this straight.....an ex hawthorn president and a registered depressed dickhead says we should give Eddie the flick and people are agreeing with him? Is today April 1st?...

remember ....dont slam the door on the way out..

Btw Mark Jackson said Eddie should resign and Warwick Capper agreed with him...so maybe you're right eh

Haha... I will always support Collingwood FC through thick and thin. Im a Buckley supporter for at least one more year (although I would love a big clean out of our assistant coaching staff and whoever is in charge of recovery has a lot to answer for). I'm not being reactionary because of our recent form in regards to Eddie, I just think his time is done. I wouldn't be getting him to step down now either it would undermine Buckley, half way through next year when Collingwood is on top of the ladder (hopefully) would be the right time to step down.

Last edited:
Happy for you and others to defend him and say hes the future at colingwood. I also wouldn't be totally against him representing us because his heart in the right place. Now to answer your question. Its realavent because its the second time hes made comments of this nature. He represents my club and I dont want comments of this sort being sprouted by our no. 1 representative with the poor record of racist outbursts our club has been associated with in the past. He has been sloppy with his comments in the last few years and he needs to be careful. Again just my opinion. I might leave it at that, I dont want to derail this thread.
'Racist Outburst' I dont think is the right word.

But yeah wrong thread for this, agree to disagree :)

Before you start making judgments, look up the definition of "racist". If you think that applies to Ed, then go right ahead...

Everyone at Collingwood and its supporters rates Eddie.

He turned the club around and we are forever grateful.

Sadly the succession plan failed and direction is needed big time

I believe we will see a battle harden premiership coach that doesn't take any crap put in place before a new president

You don't know what you have until it's gone.

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot, ooohhhhhhhhhh bup bup bup.

Seriously though, I give Zero fudge brownies about what Jeff has to say about out club.

Whether Nathan Buckley is the greatest coaching failure there has ever been I actually believe is irrelevant. Sure that would be a real s**t thing for Eddie to cop that he tried something innovative which he thought would be our best chance at success and have it flop.

At the end of the day this man is the reason why we as a club are not in financial ruins. He is the reason we ever got out of the slump we were in. He is responsible for making us a powerhouse. We are the biggest club in the land because of what he has achieved as President. He can write his own end date for all I care, we owe him pretty much everything.

Jeff Kennett says: "Splinter and privatise our power company, Victorians will be better off." Nek minnit...
Strugglers switching off as power bills soar
Energy giant AGL yesterday announced a $570 million profit after tax, up 52 per cent...“Some parents will go without food to cope with bills, and older people are going to bed earlier or only heating one room,” Mr Dufty said.

Jeff Kennett says: "Privatise the TAB." Nek minnit.... Former Premier Jeff Kennett admits privatising the TAB was a mistake

Jeff Kennett says: "Clip my hair short, it will make me look like Russell Crowe." Nek minnit...
050412-Jeff-Kennett.jpg

Jeff Kennett says: "What Geelong don't have, I think, is the quality of some of our players; they don't have the psychological drive we have. We've beaten Geelong when it matters." Nek minnit...
4t5178.gif

I could go on and on, but in conclusion: Kennett is a loud-mouthed, old-school-tie, elitist ****wit who thinks his massive political influence equates to him being smart. On the contrary, he is a buffoon. He took credit for big money projects in Victoria by selling our own assets back to us. He took the credit for rebuilding the Hawks when the foundations for that rebuild were laid by Ian Dicker. If Kennett says Ed should go, then we should install Ed as life-long President and make his sons heirs to the Collingwood throne. Nuff said.

Last edited:
Back