Toast Jeremy 'Balls of Steel' McGovern

Remove this Banner Ad

Freakin love this guy! really smart, every decision he makes is the right one and I hardly ever see him waste a ball. He is also creative, not just a "safe" disposal back but an attacking one forward and he has the skills to pull it off.

I really hope that his career is consistent and we can expect this sort of stuff over the years.

Hopefully turbo gets a lot of confidence from this season and comes back for next year in ripping shape to tear it up.

Agreed - here is hoping he doesn't do the opposite and come back fairly happy with himself....

To have a guy so big, mark so well, tackle so brutally and be able to kick so well - amazing package really.

You have to give it to Simmo - a number of blokes are adding flexibility. Brown on smalls, Gov up and back, Lycett pure forward, Hurn/Yeo midfield minutes as well as back. Ellis pretty much everywhere

Ideally what is McGovern's role in our team? Is it starting as 3rd tall defender who can get swung into other positions like loose man in defence/pinch hitting ruckman/3rd tall forward?

Ideally what is McGovern's role in our team? Is it starting as 3rd tall defender who can get swung into other positions like loose man in defence/pinch hitting ruckman/3rd tall forward?
The way he has been playing, its almost our number 2 defender behind Mackenzie, with schofield playing the third tall, and Brown on the smalls. Then with the flexibility to move forward if required.

What has been most impressive is his footskills. For a big guy, he kicks them so hard & flat, and does give us another user coming out of the back half. This was something that was continually commented on by observers in the Wafl watch thread, so thrilled he has been able to convert that to AFL level thus far.

I liked that McGovern was the spare man in defence with his marking and kicking . But as soon as we won possession McGovern would then take butlers man and butler would run forward with the play and we effectively had a spare midfielder . It has been a very effective tactic the last 2 games and shows butler is more than a defender .

Agreed - here is hoping he doesn't do the opposite and come back fairly happy with himself....

To have a guy so big, mark so well, tackle so brutally and be able to kick so well - amazing package really.

You have to give it to Simmo - a number of blokes are adding flexibility. Brown on smalls, Gov up and back, Lycett pure forward, Hurn/Yeo midfield minutes as well as back. Ellis pretty much everywhere
Simmo gave him the tough love pre season and sent him back to the WAFL. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a little reminder that a repeat of that would see him spend longer in the reserves next time.

I'm confident he'll power through the pre-season.

Simmo gave him the tough love pre season and sent him back to the WAFL. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a little reminder that a repeat of that would see him spend longer in the reserves next time.

I'm confident he'll power through the pre-season.
Don't forget that he also had hip surgery last pre-season, so that would have put him behind the others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very confident with him underneath a high ball coming in. It's great seeing him go for those grabs, but i'm not too sure our other defenders have realized just how competent he is in the air and still aren't blocking enough for him to sail through and clunk it.

Mitch brown jumped for the same ball Gov had wrapped up and spiked the ball with a big fist, no talk, ended straight in a collingwood goal.

Very confident with him underneath a high ball coming in. It's great seeing him go for those grabs, but i'm not too sure our other defenders have realized just how competent he is in the air and still aren't blocking enough for him to sail through and clunk it.

Mitch brown jumped for the same ball Gov had wrapped up and spiked the ball with a big fist, no talk, ended straight in a collingwood goal.

This definately needs to be addressed - not just with him but on a team wide level.

So often you see three eagles up against one opposition player - all four are out of action whilst a crumber takes off and is halfway home.

We need to have designated markers.

Also more blocking for shuey/ gaff - thise two especially need to have the sort of protection judd and cousins used to ger

Our blocking and shepherding is pretty woeful - i noticed in the game the other day how much more collingwood did in is area than us.

Was watching the replay of the Collingwood game - amazed at how well Gov reads the ball in flight and takes a contested mark. One of the best I've seen at that particular skill in a long time - stat of the day: Jeremy McGovern leads the league in 2014 for contested marks, 2.5 per game, above Tom Hawkins on 2.4.

Freakin love this guy! really smart, every decision he makes is the right one and I hardly ever see him waste a ball. He is also creative, not just a "safe" disposal back but an attacking one forward and he has the skills to pull it off.

This is something i really like about him, its almost as if he hasn't been trained for years by the AFL system to take the safest option, he often looks inside and takes a risk which helps to open up play. Sure doesn't come off every time but for the majority of the season we have played safe football out of the backline and just get bogged down

I'm not sure what I prefer now Forward or Back. Its a great dilemma to have. Of course playing 2-3 ruckman he has to go back. There is a lot of confidence building with him in the back half I feel with him playing the loose man. He helps out everyone. Mackenzie/Brown can lockdown and leave there man less. Schoey and Hurn can peel off around him at the drop or receive the handball and the wings can take a risk and go for a run backing him to clunk a mark. Hes a bit of a wall.

Who does everyone rate in our history for contested marks?

I'm not sure what I prefer now Forward or Back. Its a great dilemma to have. Of course playing 2-3 ruckman he has to go back. There is a lot of confidence building with him in the back half I feel with him playing the loose man. He helps out everyone. Mackenzie/Brown can lockdown and leave there man less. Schoey and Hurn can peel off around him at the drop or receive the handball and the wings can take a risk and go for a run backing him to clunk a mark. Hes a bit of a wall.

Who does everyone rate in our history for contested marks?

Hard to say, but the stats are pretty convincing.

Gov's at 2.5 per game, the next best is JK with 1.5. After those two its Scotty Cummings and Troy Wilson.

In the AFL for all time, the best are:

Matthew Richardson 2.77
Jeremy McGovern 2.5
Corey McKernan 2.16
Anthony Rocca 2.13

So far he's not in bad company.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/teams/westcoast.html
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players.html

Hard to say, but the stats are pretty convincing.

Gov's at 2.5 per game, the next best is JK with 1.5. After those two its Scotty Cummings and Troy Wilson.

In the AFL for all time, the best are:

Matthew Richardson 2.77
Jeremy McGovern 2.5
Corey McKernan 2.16
Anthony Rocca 2.13

So far he's not in bad company.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/teams/westcoast.html
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players.html
Great stuff

Shows how valuable contested marking is. Cloke has always stood out with his marking.

The great man Troy Wilson! Theres a bit of the bullocking truck style about McGovern that Wilson had. McGov is comfortably up there with Richo and Loewe!

Yeah thinking back not many players came to mind at our club for contested marks. Our best forwards have been good on the lead. Phil, Sumich etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back