Dave06

Team Captain
Mar 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, Maple Leafs, Redskins
SEN reporting we are meeting with him. Assuming a reasonable salary could be a decent pick up for us and provide a medium forward option I think we're lacking. IMO would be a better player for us than Melbourne with some genuine talent around him. Obviously still very much in rumour stage but an interesting one if true. Thoughts?

Last edited:

I like him, he didn't look happy playing this year at the dee's compared to past year's. New club with a fresh start to playing relaxed but challenging your self again to get good form back #TravisVarcoe

I like him, he didn't look happy playing this year at the dee's compared to past year's. New club with a fresh start to playing relaxed but challenging your self again to get good form back #TravisVarcoe
Unlike varcoe who was a proven quality player for 6+ years consistently getting games In a superstar team and performing on the big stage, Howe has been nothing but an average player in a team that's been terrible for a decade.

I would expect the same out put at Melbourne as he would give us, also he strikes me as a player who would go missing on the big stage like a final. It's a no from me.

Yes. Versatile enough to plug a few gaps. Bring some excitement in. Club can do with that now that Elliott is not flying as much anymore.

Unlike varcoe who was a proven quality player for 6+ years consistently getting games In a superstar team and performing on the big stage, Howe has been nothing but an average player in a team that's been terrible for a decade.

I would expect the same out put at Melbourne as he would give us, also he strikes me as a player who would go missing on the big stage like a final. It's a no from me.
I think he would get lot's of cheapies because Cloke takes number one defender, Moore takes the second best and could leave him and Jamie to get some easier shots

Would really like him in our forward line, I'd seem him taking Blairs spot. Can also play back when needed which would be handy. Really don't want to pay too much for him though...

I question his natural ability to kick goals, but then again he has played for Melbourne.

Could he bulk up and play as that slightly undersized, but creative gut running CHF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Varcs hadn't been playing great footy when we picked him up. This was probably his best year. The fact Howe has been in a rubbish team to me is just an indication he may have more upside than has been shown.

Just reckon Howe is a bloke waiting to break out - he's shown glimpses but just hasn't done it yet. Has the ability to be a 40+ goal player and I really don't think Melbournes game style, particularly since Roos took over, suits him at all. He's a forward that has been forced to play back on top of that.

Think he would add a dynamic to our forward line that we don't have at the moment. Obviously the risk is we over pay and he doesn't improve but given we've carried Young on 400ish for the last few years I think he'd be worth some risk. He's played 21+ games a year for the last 4 years so his durability adds some appeal too (not a decisive factor but it's a rarity in footy these days nonetheless)

26 year olds don't get any better, he's showed what his got, either like it or not.

I reckon he ends up at Freo though, if they offer him even slightly over market value I don't think we'll continue pursuing him.

It depends on how much, I'm ambivalent as there is certainly upside and talent there, but the production has not been consistent, so that's the risk.

Another player who was offered a last minute pick by GWS in the trade period, that the club now rues not grabbing.

Not that keen - provides some nice highlights marking but not much else. Would've preferred to hang onto Freeman than bring in someone from Melbournes terrible culture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 year olds don't get any better, he's showed what his got, either like it or not.

I reckon he ends up at Freo though, if they offer him even slightly over market value I don't think we'll continue pursuing him.

He kicked 28 goals in 2013 playing in a team that had the worst offense in the league that year, won 2 games, and had an average losing margin of 70 points.

If he can reproduce similar effort in a team getting more forward entries and has some other targets around him I don't see why he couldn't improve on that. Recent time spent in defense you would expect would make him a more well rounded player.

Varcoe is 27-28 and played his best season, This Season.

So I won't say he won't get better yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back