Past Jesse O'Brien (2009-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Adrian Fletcher

He’s a long runner, but he needs to build his size. He’s got to improve his loose ball gets. He runs for that wide uncontested mark but we want him to get more of his own footy and he’ll develop that over time. We think his best position is wing/half-forward.

brien7.jpg

2011 End of Season Review

by POBT

2010 review

Games: 12
Goals: 3
Sub: on = 3, off = 0
Emergency: 2
Time on ground: 69%
Best and Fairest: 5 votes (23rd)
Dreamteam: 625 points; $162,900 (+$17,600)
Supercoach: 564 points; $170,400 (-$4,800)
NEAFL:
Games: 2
Goals: 0

O'Brien was another one of the Lions' youngsters who showed more than a glimpse that he will become a good footballer in time. As a forward of centre midfielder/flanker, who occasionally went to a back flank too, O'Brien showed poise and efficiency with the ball in hand. This something that the Lions midfield brigade is crying out for.

After a good pre-season, O'Brien was selected for round 1 and held his spot for the first 11 games of the year. Whilst not overly prolific in terms of possessions, he showed a knack of knowing where to be. His kicking was particularly impressive - although not overly penetrating in terms of distance, his kicking is very effective, particularly moving the ball inside 50. Against Richmond, 8 of his 13 kicks were to targets inside the forward 50. This is where I can see him playing a big role for the Lions in the future.

Voss used him as the substitute on a few occasions, probably due to his lack of running capacity. This is the clear area for improvement over the summer. The ability to run a game out is integral in modern footy and O'Brien has tended to fade out of games when he hits the wall. He won't be alone in hitting the running track this summer - a few of his young teammates need similar improvement in their footy.

After reverting to AFLQ level for a couple of weeks mid-season, O'Brien returned to senior action, only to suffer a leg injury that ruled him out for the remainder of the year. Reports from the club suggests that he'll be ready to go for the pre-season, where he will hopefully stack on a bit of muscle and increase his engine. When he improves in those areas, I am of the opinion that he has the requisite skill and smarts to play a very important role in 2012.

O'Brien's form in 2011 was rewarded with a 2 year contract extension, meaning that he will be on the books until 2013 at least.

brien.jpg

Video: Tweet a Lion

@SBurston_40
Who are you currently living with and who would you consider to be your closest mates at the club?

I'm currently living with Cheynee Stiller. I'd probably consider my close mates (to be) Rohan Bewick, Pearce Hanley, Claye Beams and Josh Dyson.

@LionsDi
Happy birthday 21st on Monday. You've certainly put on some size this year. What is your role in the team going to be for 2012?

I've been doing a fair bit of midfield work, mainly on the wing and half forward.

@rbewick43
When we were at the shops the other day, you poked your head in the jewellery store. Are things moving that quickly?

My sister's birthday is this Saturday, so I was looking for something for her actually. So pretty bad stitch up mate.

brien.jpg

Live chat
James: What position are you hoping to grab this season?

Jesse O’Brien: Hopefully I can play a bit of everywhere. I’ve been training mostly in the midfield, on the wing and in the forward line, so hopefully you will see me playing everywhere

Sarah: What has been your worst injury?

Jesse O’Brien: I’ve had a few pretty bad injuries - cracked my ribs twice, broken collarbone and a stress fracture in my leg. Hopefully I can stay injury free this year and play some more games

KLR: What footy hero did you have on your bedroom wall as a kid?

Jesse O’Brien: Nathan Buckley was my childhood hero. Had him on my wall and as my doona cover

Sheryn and Roger: You look 'bigger' this year Jesse - have you added a few kilos?

Jesse O’Brien: Yeah, I’ve added about 4 kilos to the frame this year, so hopefully u will see me throwing my weight around a bit this year, haha. I still want to add a few more kilos though

6693875299_7b386ae9c7.jpg

I've also been positive about O'Brien and think he will be very close to final 22. Watching the NAB cup game it occured to me what I like about him. He has "quick feet". He can find a bit of space in traffic through agile foot-work. He uses the space to get his head up and look down field. However a copy of times on Saturday night he missed targets, so he is still a work in progress. How I think his potential to set up-play at wing and half forward could add a bit of extra class to the side.

Like Polkinghorne, he's a bit of an "almost" player at the moment. He does some good things, and you can see the makings of a good player, but he's not overly influential yet. It remains to be seen whether he can be a player who wins matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the NEAFL site, Jesse went down with a groin issue this weekend.

A Nudgee College student formerly from Ferny Grove and now playing his club football at Morningside, Pendlebury hadn’t seen a lot of ground time in the first three quarters of just his second game as a top-up player with the AFL club and his first since Round 1.
But with Claye Beams rested at halftime for what would later prove to be a late call-up to the AFL side and Jesse O’Brien going down in the third quarter with a groin problem he became an important figure for coach Nathan Clarke and a key contributor to an excellent win.

On instagram he said he's getting his groins operated on tomorrow morning.

Jesse O'Brien 2012 End of Seasonn Review
by POBT

2011 review

Senior games: 2
Goals: 1
Dreamteam: 62
Supercoach: 51
Club Best and Fairest votes:

6710856321_07e34acd4e_z.jpg

Image (2012 preseason) courtesy of Mr Ripper

Jesse O'Brien entered the 2012 season on the fringe of regular senior selection. At pre-season training, he looked to have improved his running capacity and put on some bulk. Whilst missing selection in round 1, he won a spot for the next two games, including a role as the sub in the round 2 thrashing at the hands of Carlton. O'Brien was not a factor in either game although it must be conceded that very few Lions players stood out. The Freo game proved to be his last for the year due to a combination of average form and then injury struggles.

O'Brien's NEAFL form was solid rather than spectacular. In May, O'Brien went down with a groin injury and, despite playing a few reserves games mid-season, never really looked to have recovered. O'Brien underwent surgery on his groin in August, ruling him out for the year.

Given this, it is difficult to make an accurate assessment of where O'Brien is at. He plays a role that the Lions lack depth in - the outside, forward of centre midfielder/wingman type. He showed enough in 2011 to suggest that he could be a player if he could start to win some more footy. But 2012 was a write-off. With a contract expiring at the end of next year, O'Brien really needs to take large strides forward in order to secure another contract. Some of his contemporaries really came on this year - the likes of Harwood, Beams and Golby have all had good seasons. O'Brien needs to make his mark in 2013.

Good write up, POBT.

Never really been wow'ed by JO'B. Just not sure how he fits into our team going forward.

From what I remember, it was his poise and kicking skills that impressed me when he was in the team. Seemed to have a fair bit of time, and was pretty reliable at hitting a target, even if it wasn't a massive belt down the field. However he never seemed to get enough of the ball to show this off often enough. Hopefully he comes back from injury and is able to rack up more of the ball, because I think that was the biggest gap in his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back