Past Jesse O'Brien (2009-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

In addition to seeing Jesse on Footy Fix, it was equally pleasing watching Jesse play again. I thought he was one of our best on ANZAC day too.

Reserves Wrap:

With Simon Black and Brent Staker commanding much of the NEAFL-related news in the past month, little has been said about Jesse O’Brien’s promising return from groin surgery.

O’Brien spent a considerable period of the off-season in rehab, but seems to have finally gotten some continuity in his football with four consecutive reserves games.

“I reckon Jesse’s first three games were very, very good – in particular his work around the ball and tackling,” Harding said.

“He still got 26-odd touches and laid five tackles on the weekend, but I didn’t see that customary breaking out from stoppages. He got most of his possessions in close, so his long running wasn’t as evident.”

There were no new casualties from the weekend, outside of Sam Mayes suffering a minor ‘corkie’ and Jesse O’Brien sporting an impressive ‘shiner’ following an incident in the Club’s NEAFL clash.

“Jesse’s fine, he just coped an innocuous knock to the eye. We’ve x-rayed that to make sure there was no damage,” Burton said.

“It’s an impressive bruise, but physically he’s fine. No breaks and nothing to be concerned about.”

Jesse O’Brien, who was sporting a clean upper lip having recently shaved off his much-loved moustache, was recognised as the Lions’ best.

“He was very good. He got plenty of clearances and finished with 13 tackles according to our stats,” Harding said.

“He won the contested ball on the inside, and got the ball on the outside as well. It’s a good reward for the effort he’s been putting in.”

Great to see Jesse in this form. He possesses excellent pace and these highlights show some nifty in close work. I had him in the group of possible de-listings but I now hope he gets a seniors run before the end of the season to showcase his talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of his quick movement away from congestion, especially the side-steps and back-peddles, reminded me of the moves that the Bulldogs (like Murphy) were putting on the Eagles last week.

I hope he can adjust to the pace of the game quickly and show what he's got.

Fascinating selection. It'll be interesting to see where he plays.
I think he will play the "Bewick" mobile target role. Interesting Bewick on the bench - maybe the Green Vest? Vossy played JOB as the starting CHF for a quarter in a practice match once. I am looking forward to him showing his light feet in congested situation. Good luck to him.

I remember liking how he went about it when he played his first few senior games, hopefully he can show a bit. Always struck me as an old school wing type player. Probably start as the sub, especially if he is going to be given a game or 2, sub will be a good way to ease him in.

I think he will play the "Bewick" mobile target role. Interesting Bewick on the bench - maybe the Green Vest? Vossy played JOB as the starting CHF for a quarter in a practice match once. I am looking forward to him showing his light feet in congested situation. Good luck to him.

Played as an outside player at senior level previously, but the reserves reports suggest he is winning a fair bit of inside ball. Would be good to see how he goes with some time in the guts.

Did spend time in the middle and I was impressed. He looks a lot more well rounded as a player. He thought his way through tight situations very well.

Yeah was very impressed with his return tonight. Smart footballer. Definitely deserves to hold his spot.

Agreed. I had him firmly as a certain delisting at season's end around the middle of the season, but he impressed tonight as he did in the reserves game against NT a fortnight ago. Just a smart and composed player. Provided he maintains his form, I'd see no reason why we wouldn't offer him another contract, even if for only a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back