Past Jesse O'Brien (2009-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Brisbane fan in me will be sad to see Jesse leave, but I still hope he gets a go with Adelaide and make a career for himself.

Given how many guys from the SANFL continually get drafted he'll have a decent chance with 1 or 2 strong seasons.

Given how many guys from the SANFL continually get drafted he'll have a decent chance with 1 or 2 strong seasons.

Yep. My view is that he is more talented than plenty of guys on AFL lists and showed a real commitment to his footy in 2013 that was probably missing before.

Was basically coming here to say the same thing. If he puts his head down next season and works his butt off in the SANFL, I see no reason why he couldn't get picked up this time next season. Definitely has the skills to make it.

Rip it up next year Jesse!:thumbsu:

Returning to North Adelaide.

Jesse O’Brien – 22 years old, 185cm & 82kg midfielder returning from Brisbane.
Jesse returns to Prospect after 4 years with the Brisbane Lions. Jesse played 17 AFL games after being selected with pick 73 in the national draft. Jesse is a versatile midfielder who can play inside the centre square or on the wing and across half forward. He has speed, good game awareness and a high skill level.

http://nafc.com.au/news/p5142.aspx

Where are they now?

JESSE O’BRIEN - O’Brien was an unfortunate casualty of the Lions’ list squeeze, so trained with Adelaide in the hope of being selected in one of the AFL Drafts. Unfortunately he was overlooked, however he’ll remain in his home state of South Australia and represent SANFL side North Adelaide in 2014.

2013 Review - by POBT

2013 saw the end of the road for Jesse O'Brien, at least for the moment.

After a long run of injuries, O'Brien was always going to be up against it to show the club that he was worth perservering with. To his credit, after his pre-season and first few rounds were ruined by the lingering effects of groin surgery, O'Brien turned in a series of impressive performances at NEAFL level, earning one last crack at senior footy.

Having started as a clever half forward type, O'Brien appeared to transform himself into a hard-edged, inside midfielder. He won plenty of clearances at NEAFL level and his tackling was often a highlight. This transformation on field appeared to come with a renewed determination to make the most of his opportunity on an AFL list.

He returned to the senior side in round 19, getting two matches to show his wares. While his form did not demand a spot in the senior side, he showed a fair bit, particularly with his attack on man and ball.

He then took this form into the NEAFL finals, with a near best on ground performance in the North Grand Final against before being awarded the Andrew Ireland Medal for best on ground in the Inter-Conference game against Sydney. In both games, he played as a primary midfielder and looked quite dominant.

The club decided at the end of the season not to offer O'Brien another contract. While not completely unexpected, supporters perhaps thought he had turned the corner and deserved another year. O'Brien trialled with Adelaide in the off-season but was not drafted. He has returned to South Australia and will suit up with North Adelaide in the SANFL.

I personally believe that O'Brien is one of the more talented footballers not on an AFL list. What we didn't see at the Lions was his early potential as a clever ball player combined with the harder edge he developed in 2013. In two distinctly different stages of his career, O'Brien showed plenty. If he can keep fit, there is every chance O'Brien will get another shot at a senior career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

19 touches and a goal in North's win over the Crows.

anyone know how he has been going? do think we should have kept him on over Polkinghorne
This question was asked at the Melbourne fans forum event a couple of years back and the answer from Dean Warren was that O'Brien's dedication and commitment wasn't up to scratch, despite continual warnings from the coaching staff for him to lift his game.

This question was asked at the Melbourne fans forum event a couple of years back and the answer from Dean Warren was that O'Brien's dedication and commitment wasn't up to scratch, despite continual warnings from the coaching staff for him to lift his game.

bit of a shame, was a solid player, could have been a contributor for us

Caught the game vs. St Kilda in 2013 and O'Brian did some very nice things. Reminded me of how he seemed to take his game to another level that year but was very unlucky to get cut.

Never kicked on at SANFL level either. I don't think he had the passion. Similar to Karnezis.

Caught the game vs. St Kilda in 2013 and O'Brian did some very nice things. Reminded me of how he seemed to take his game to another level that year but was very unlucky to get cut.
Question was asked at a members forum as to why he was cut and the answer related to a lack of commitment to preparation and professionalism, if I remember correctly.

Question was asked at a members forum as to why he was cut and the answer related to a lack of commitment to preparation and professionalism, if I remember correctly.

Definite shame. Sometimes in life you take your chances for granted, but above all else you need to have the passion, otherwise everything else will fall by the wayside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back