2007: 10th (42 votes)
2008: 7th (39.5 votes)
2009: 8th (35 votes)
2010: 11th (23 votes)
2011: =9th (20.5 votes)
2012: = 1st (34 votes)

Coach's votes:

Tribunal record:

* Round 15, 2010 - engaging in a melee ($1600 reduced to $1200)
* round 19, 2010 - engaging in rough conduct (325 demerit points but cleared by the tribunal)
* round 19, 2010 - making negligent contact with an umpire ($1200 reduced to $900)

Re: Joel Patful

__Joel_Patfull_001.jpg

Guernsey Number: 24
Height: 190cm
Weight: 88kg
Recruited From: Norwood (SA)/Port Adelaide Rookie List
Date of Birth: 7 December 1984

CAREER BRIEF
Previous clubs: Norwood, Port Adelaide (rookie list)
Draft details: No. 56 - 2005 National Draft
Joined Lions: 2006
AFL debut: Round 8 2006, v Port Adelaide, AAMI Stadium.
AFL finals: 0

Has played every game since his debut (would have started earlier but for a knee injury). Scored one goal in each of rounds 8, 12 and 18. Played good games during rounds 12/13 and 18/19/20.

Adelaide boy (Filomena to note).

He is looking like a pretty useful utility I think. The coach can throw him forward or back if there is a problem and he will do the job. There is a lot of value in having a player like that in the 22 and Joel looks to be creating a nice niche for himself. He doesn't seem to have a high ceiling but he is coming along well, developing his skills and game and looking like he belongs at AFL level. That is certainly more than I thought would be the case when they drafted him last year and in those types of situations I am always glad to be wrong.

His role reminds me a bit of Martin Pike. Not the biggest guy out there but can play either end, even on a wing. Never going to be a star but could be very very handy. Just hope he doesn't go out for beers with Michael Bowers!

What does Bradshaw's injury mean for him? IIRC he was playing HB during the NAB and looked quite good there

His NAB Cup form has moved him into the starting 22 you would think, and Bradshaw's injury pretty much guarantees that.

I expect him to be played in various roles throughout the year but probably start as a roaming half forward. Like last year he may well be the fall guy for a few tricky matchups (I'm thinking particularly key position matchups), and he may get beaten now and again. Ideally he is suited to the midsized players like Robertson or Cornes, who he was very effective against last year.

1 March
Joel played really well in 2007 NAB cup round 1 (two goals, and on the 'best' list).

I think he's going to come of age this year.

5 April
Joel came of age tonight.

Will only get better, especially when we add Clark to the forward line.

One of many recruiting coups in the last few years.

Didn't take long did it BrownDog?

I was thinking of sponsoring Patfull end of last year. Just had a good feeling about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is starting to look really good now with his confident leading and marking. Makes up somewhat for Bradshaw's loss. If our boys develop more confidence in Joel, that'll help take defenders' focus off Browny.

I don't think we're a great marking side, so he's difficult to replace.

I'd reckon right now he's only behind Brown and Bradshaw on our entire list in terms of pure, pound for pound marking ability -- ahead of blokes like Charmo, JBizzy, Notting and CJ.

Finally got around to watching the game against Richmond last night and just love how Patfull is coming along. He is a very good contested mark and will naturally improve. Even his work in defence was efficient - thanks Port for letting him go. Am curious to know where Leigh will play him when Bradshaw comes back (with Brown, Clark and Bradshaw would there be room for another medium-tall?). He is fast becoming one of my faves. Is there a nickname for him?

Link

Patfull hoping for more of the same

8:46 AM Thu 28 June, 2007

By Simon White,

JOEL Patfull will be hoping it’s a case of second time lucky when the Brisbane Lions line up against his old side Port Adelaide on Saturday night.
The 22-year-old, who spent 2003 and 2004 on the Power’s rookie list, enjoyed a dream debut against Port at AAMI Stadium in round eight last year, scoring a goal with his first kick in AFL football in a 69-point Lions victory.
“It ended up being a pretty good first game to play in and a really good win – hopefully we can do the same over here,” Patfull said.
“We played some great footy that day and a lot of the same guys will be down there (in the forward line) on Saturday night.”
Of course, one player who won’t be there is Daniel Bradshaw, out for the season with a knee injury.
Bradshaw and Jonathan Brown combined for 13 goals last time out against the Power and Patfull realises the rest of the forward line must work to cover for the absence of the two-time leading goalkicker.
Like most in the Lions camp, he thinks a drought-breaking win is within reach.
“Braddy has been a huge loss for us – apart from being a great player himself, he takes the focus away from Browny and stops other teams zoning off,” Patfull said.
“Whoever else is out there just has to do their best to offer a target and keep other teams from double and triple-teaming Browny.
“The last few weeks, the feeling amongst the group has been pretty good, but things haven’t quite been going our way.
“Earlier in the year, there were a couple of games we lost narrowly when we didn’t take advantage of our opportunities. We’ve got to make the most of them now.”
Although he is yet to taste finals action at the half-way point of his second season at the Gabba, Patfull believes his football is far advanced from where it was when he left Norwood at the end of 2005.
He has also enjoyed the famous Queensland weather – until the freezing temperatures of the last week at least.
“I’ve been a bit worried about the weather the last week and I much prefer the sunshine – it’s been a bit like in Adelaide in winter,” he laughed.
“The 15 games or so I got under my belt last year have helped me massively and being able to play regularly this year has helped me again.
“Playing so much has made me a lot more confident about my footy.”

patfull2ka5.jpg

Named at full-forward for the Lions is Joel Patfull, who is looking to make it two-from-two against Port Adelaide, where he was a rookie in 2003 and 2004.

The 190cm Patfull is something of a “Mr Fixit” position-wise for the Lions, but says he is happy to play anywhere – so long as he is getting a game.

”I guess with my height I’m a little bit of an in-between size and that means I get used in a variety of spots,” Patfull said.

”I’m happy playing forward for the moment but I’ll gladly go and play down back when I’m needed down there. As long as I get to play I’m not going to complain.”
http://www.lions.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/5085/Default.aspx?newsId=46223

Remove this Banner Ad

Back