Past Joel Patfull (2005-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Never seen him take so many contested marks. Not normally one to provide hurt factor, it was arguably his best game over the last two years.

He probably could have started better, but his last quarter was amazing. Stopped the margin from blowing out tremendously. Could be the game that gets him over the line in the B&F. Hope he hasn't hurt his jaw again.

Guys I've come back to Brisbane after 9 years out of the country so I am getting to games and seeing a decent amount of lions football for the first time since 2002. I have to say that in the games I've been to, St Kilda, North, Sydney I was not hugely impressed by Patfull, he seemed at least a yard of the pace and his man throughout. He seems to have a good rep on the boards though so is there something I'm missing?

I recall posting the above as one of my first posts on Bigfooty.

I would now like to admit that I was very wrong. Joel's reliability, ability to carry out his role, and his understated leadership are a key factor for us and more than Goose or Sauce, he has an air of quiet competence that leaves you confident that he has it covered. Though he played in a different position it was actually the same sort of feeling I used to get when Andy Gowers, was going about for the bears. So well done Joel, I would be very surprised if he did not have another top 5 in the B and F coming up.

I recall posting the above as one of my first posts on Bigfooty.

I would now like to admit that I was very wrong. Joel's reliability, ability to carry out his role, and his understated leadership are a key factor for us and more than Goose or Sauce, he has an air of quiet competence that leaves you confident that he has it covered. Though he played in a different position it was actually the same sort of feeling I used to get when Andy Gowers, was going about for the bears. So well done Joel, I would be very surprised if he did not have another top 5 in the B and F coming up.

*points to sig* ;)

I still reckon that last game will be the difference. If he pulls one or two more of them out before seasons end you can put him down for back-to-back Club Championships...and players will probably start paying me to sponsor them (notice that things started looking up for Joel when I started sponsoring him? No coincidence people!).

I think the game Hanley missed could prove the difference, especially since Joel had a BOG game that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And he doesn't think he'll win CC again. So humble.
Time to create a new award if he doesn't kezz... how about the Mr Dependable medal? [I hope someone took a photo of his hanger last night - if not, here's one I prepared a little earlier - a freddie foto from Rnd20 2013 :) ]
rezt.png

[quote"blynd_freddie, post: 29689112, member: 35473"]Time to create a new award if he doesn't kezz... how about the Mr Dependable medal? [I hope someone took a photo of his hanger last night - if not, here's one I prepared a little earlier - a freddie foto from Rnd20 2013 :) ]
rezt.png
[/quote]

Call it the Joel Patfull Medal and give it to our best defender every year.

BTW can I please steal that photo for the fan club? Great shot!

He is in career best form these past few rounds and that Mark he took and a number of his intercepts just left me going, wow, as he was simultaneously destroying his own opponent, helping others and causing damage running the other way. I think he actually relishes the extra responsibility of taking on the better forwards with Merrett up forward.

Yeah great last month or two from Patfull. Still think he'll only just scrape into the top 5 of the b&f as his first 10 or so rounds were well below his usual standards, but would love to be proven wrong. Just think that the hype around him for the medal this season may be similar to the hype around Redden last season, as Reddo finished the year very strong and as that was freshest in people's minds, he was the favourite to win the award. Sadly his average first two months played against him in the end.

Would love to see Patfull win it again though.

Yeah great last month or two from Patfull. Still think he'll only just scrape into the top 5 of the b&f as his first 10 or so rounds were well below his usual standards, but would love to be proven wrong. Just think that the hype around him for the medal this season may be similar to the hype around Redden last season, as Reddo finished the year very strong and as that was freshest in people's minds, he was the favourite to win the award. Sadly his average first two months played against him in the end.

Would love to see Patfull win it again though.

I think what plays in Joellys favour is that 90% of the team had a crap first two months. Not to mention injuries/suspensions to key rivals helps.

Things you thought you'd never see: Joel leading the Club in marks! Seriously, 105 for the year, Jonathan Brown a distant second (still!) with 94!

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

I was rapt at the start of the season when Joel Patfull shaved his hair. It was thinning on top anyway and made him look more intimidating. How come he’s never shaved it since?
Bradley from Cottesloe (WA)
Yeah I think Joel saw the success that I had when I shaved my head so he thought he would jump on board. We keep telling him he is getting very thin on top, but he keeps telling me the sun makes it look worse than what it is. I’ll try and get him to shave his head a bit more, because I think the girls like the Bruce Willis look on him.

Is Joel Patfull a tad on the thick side when it comes to the ladies? Surely he's noticed one fan coming to training a lot to talk to him! How did the boys react to him kicking a goal against Geelong, pretty weird stuff that!
Anon from Brisbane (QLD)
He’s still looking for that special someone. He loves girls who wear denim jeans so if you’re out there and you wear denim jeans then you might catch his eye. Joel’s known as ‘Ghost Eyes’ in front of the goals, so when he marked it a few of the boys were looking for the handball because he was that scared of trying to get it between the two goal posts.

God I want to hug whoever sent that second question in!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back