Joel Patfull Trade Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing this article i have decided to channel my inner crap sub-editor and see if I can come up with other pointless puntific headlines based onn player movements so far I have

Pat's got a ticket to Ryde(r): and he he don't care

Dayne says Pies way off Beams

Winderlich has Wanderlust

Ex Swan Malcieski Malcontent

feel free to join in people it is a game the whole family can play.

How about...They are throwing Christensen to the Lions.

Its actually hard not to respect Patfull even more after him taking the approach he has with this situation.

I don't think there's any question his motives are deeply personal, are simply based on his own needs and desires and have zero malicious intent at all. He's handled this the same way he's played his footy... with a quiet, responsible and no fuss approach that brings credit to himself.

He's expressed gratitude towards the club over and over, he's rewarded that faith with nothing less than absolute professionalism and quality. Its been a hugely rewarding partnership for both parties with massive wins on all sides - and the language from the club indicates they want to do nothing less than treat a terrific clubman with respect. In fact their desire to facilitate the move if possible indicates they understand his situation far more deeply than those who see him as nothing more than No. 24 for the Brisbane Lions.

Sure, the club may get something in return. And if not he'll stay like he offered. Either way, personally it'll be hard not to be happy for a guy that you just know will do the right thing by you, and would be the person you'd want beside you in the trenches. Every team needs a Patfull... or 2.

The fact hes asked for this move if possible indicates to me its way, way bigger than football. And as such a loyal servant, no matter how much it does or doesn't play into the team model or structure right now, it would seem petty and spiteful to not strive for one last beneficial partnership with the guy.

I hate watching our loyal, trusted, dedicated, reliable, hard, tough and invested players leave. But for some reason with Patfull it almost feels like we need to say "its ok mate, you deserve it - life is more than just footy".

It's spelt Paywal

There's only one L

Pugwall-and-Jenny.jpg

No, Pugwall.

And promptly follow him.

See yas guys, I'm outta this sinking ship.

Not a sinking ship... its a changing of the crew. Its hard Kezz, but its a bit of a reminder that we only get to "borrow" these guys for a while. Maybe its 10 or 15 years. Maybe its 12 months.

And yeah we mad, passionate footy nutters get invested heavily in our favorites. We often don't know why one player or another for some reason endear themselves to us... could be a million things. Attitudes, ability, personality, yes looks - they all play a part. Some will get closer to them than others and some will call them friends.

But all of them like us have lives, away from footy. Away from the game, the pressures, the fans and the club. I suspect some strive for even more of a life away from the other players too. Just to step away from it all.

I don't know if I subscribe to "the club is bigger than all on all things" theory. No more than I believe "a player is bigger than a club". But I do know these guys will come and go.

All I can do is judge people on what I see, what I hear and what I know. How they act, how they lead, respect and repay. I've never heard a bad word about Patfull outside the heat of a game. And that says a lot. I'm glad he played for us. I'm glad we gave him the chance and he took it. He was a player I'll admire for a long time simply because he was the typical "just doing my job" sort player that you know you'd be screwed without. And the fact that by all accounts he was a pretty decent, modest and unassuming guy didnt hurt either. Jack Redden is another who comes from the same mould if you ask me.

I wont stop supporting the Lions... they are my club. And I have been, over the years hugely disappointed to see players leave. Joel will be another I'll miss watching play and just muttering words of thanks over and over when he saves our asses.

But if this means his, and the happiness of other loyal servants over the years, then I cant be bitter over it.

Yeah, I certainly had no intentions of following my namesake to Collingwood in 2008 that's for sure.

I love emotionally investing in players to a point, but will always back the maroon, blue and gold when push comes to shove.

"Sinking ship?" Cmon Kezz!

I was reminded of the transience of the playing list just last night.

In the late nineties, just as digital printing was making it so we could get personal photos printed on anything, my wife, got me a coffee mug, with a photo of me and Danny Dickfoss on it. It was a great mug, mine Jake's and the actual mug and it had survived these 15 or so years since.

We have a house guest at the moment who cleaned up the kitchen, and tragic as it is the mug did not survive the dishwasher.

... all things must pass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given everything that has been said by the Lions on Patfull it looks like we are after GWS's pick 21 as a trade for him. Is that the way others see it?

GWS's next pick they haven't used is 43, while the first pick the Swans have available is 58.

Yeah, I certainly had no intentions of following my namesake to Collingwood in 2008 that's for sure.

I love emotionally investing in players to a point, but will always back the maroon, blue and gold when push comes to shove.

"Sinking ship?" Cmon Kezz!
"Boo! Different clothes!"

I was reminded of the transience of the playing list just last night.

In the late nineties, just as digital printing was making it so we could get personal photos printed on anything, my wife, got me a coffee mug, with a photo of me and Danny Dickfoss on it. It was a great mug, mine Jake's and the actual mug and it had survived these 15 or so years since.

We have a house guest at the moment who cleaned up the kitchen, and tragic as it is the mug did not survive the dishwasher.

... all things must pass.
Whoa...deep.

If Patfull wants to get to Sydney and GWS are keen why don't we look at seeing if we can get Cam McCarthy. We might have to add a sweetener to the deal but he would be a good get as we need forwards and he has plenty of wraps and his one and only game for GWS he made an instant impression.

IMO it comes down to wanting either Patfull or Christensen next year+beyond. We won't get the latter without losing the former.
Given Patfull wants to leave and Christensen wants to come, the answer seems pretty obvious to me.

And promptly follow him.

See yas guys, I'm outta this sinking ship.
I know how you feel Kezzstar. If we 'lose' Merrett during trade week I won't have a whipping boy at Brisbane and I might seriously consider barracking for Collingwood. At least that way I will have more players to complain about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back