Toast Joel Selwood - 150 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

150 great games for the skipper hope there is 150 more great games still to come:thumbsu: . it's funny how the lottery that the draft is pans out the cats were lucky to get selwood at 7 and this saturday also marks 150 games for nathan Jones who has a huge heart and gives his all but only has 37 wins because he landed at melbourne.

Interesting question posed on AFL360 and 3AW Sports Today yesterday - Is Selwood the great player he is because of the team he joined in 2007 or would he be a great player anywhere? I reckon the latter. How often has he pulled Geelong out of the quagmire?

Interesting question posed on AFL360 and 3AW Sports Today yesterday - Is Selwood the great player he is because of the team he joined in 2007 or would he be a great player anywhere? I reckon the latter. How often has he pulled Geelong out of the quagmire?

His record would not be as good as it is in another team as this team is a one in a lifetime construction. That said, he would still be the same player, doing the same things day in and day out. His effectiveness might not be as great as the tag would be his every week but the endeavour would not drop.

Go Catters

I'm glad people can't see into the future because the best 7 picks in the 2006 draft were in order (I'm excluding Hawkins cause F/S): Selwood, Boak, Sydney's Josh Kennedy, Jack Riewoldt, Gray, Lachie Hansen and Bryce Gibbs would take 7th. Now if people could see how careers panned out before they happened Carlton would've taken Selwood and we would have copped Gibbs.......

I'm glad people can't see into the future because the best 7 picks in the 2006 draft were in order (I'm excluding Hawkins cause F/S): Selwood, Boak, Sydney's Josh Kennedy, Jack Riewoldt, Gray, Lachie Hansen and Bryce Gibbs would take 7th. Now if people could see how careers panned out before they happened Carlton would've taken Selwood and we would have copped Gibbs.......
If they could, would Hawthorn have taken Judd over Hodge in 2001? Probably not the thread to ask, but it's interesting...

He's always been compared to Pendlebury and he's nipping at his heals for games. I think Sel is the better player, but of course I am biased!:D
I think Selwood has him just covered. Joel started a year later - has one less AA and one less Norm, but has two more flags and a rising star. It's a shame neither have a Brownlow considering recent winners have included Watson, Priddis and Cooney who whilst being good players are nothing compared to Pendles and Selwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Selwood has him just covered. Joel started a year later - has one less AA and one less Norm, but has two more flags and a rising star. It's a shame neither have a Brownlow considering recent winners have included Watson, Priddis and Cooney who whilst being good players are nothing compared to Pendles and Selwood.
The Brownlow is a joke, mate! I watch it just for the lulz and nothing more. When Woewodin won it it 2000 I thought "that's it, that's one fcuked up stupid medal". Having a team filled with champs stealing votes from each other when one team could be spudding it up except for one very good player who gets three votes every week because he's surrounded by average players is not a logical metric for judging the best and fairest player from that year. Three votes HAS to be awarded every match, regardless of whether ten players on the field played a 10/10 game, or whether one guy on the field played a 7/10 game. Why is one persons' BOG worth as many points as the next bloke playing a different game if his actual game wasn't near as good? Brownlow Medal is flawed and it's why the players themselves regard the MVP a lot higher than the Brownlow. To have you peers tell you that you're the best is a lot more rewarding than to be told you're the best by a bunch of coloured maggots using a flawed system to vote.

If Fyfe gets suspended this year it's Pendleburys to lose.

Hits 200 in a few weeks.

Joel turns 27 tomorrow.
Where has the time gone. Doesn't seem that long ago now he was just a young gun, now his 200th is fast approaching and he's in his last 5 or so seasons of football. Just shows time flies.

Where has the time gone. Doesn't seem that long ago now he was just a young gun, now his 200th is fast approaching and he's in his last 5 or so seasons of football. Just shows time flies.
If we get 5 more productive seasons I will be absolutely thrilled...............and totally shocked.

As much as it pains me to say it, I can't see Joel playing far beyond 30 - he just takes too much of a battering.

Hope we can pull off a win for him - he deserves a decent celebration. If I recall accurately we overwhelmingly tend to win these type of celebration matches - but this could be a bit harder to achieve. We are just not playing that well presently.

Hope we can pull off a win for him - he deserves a decent celebration. If I recall accurately we overwhelmingly tend to win these type of celebration matches - but this could be a bit harder to achieve. We are just not playing that well presently.
His 200th if he doesn't miss a game from here will be GWS in Canberra. That'll be tough to get a win for him.

out of all the draftees from 2006 his played the most games, him and hawkins in the one draft, now thats a good years drafting
taylor's played the most games from the 07 group

it gets pretty dire after that

i wonder if we can find another selwood type before he retires

he deserves to captain a premiership team

I'm all for a win for sel.. And being a greedy self centered bastard I'll take a win for me.. Flying 17500 kms for a loss sucks!

Go Catters

Can't believe he is playing his 200th soon and also that he is 27, we are talking about bartel, SJ and others' careers coming to an end, but in 3-4 years we could be saying the same thing about Joel as I think he will hit the wall around 29-30. I forget sometimes that he was there when it all started in 2007.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back