News John Barker - set to remain at Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Barker would be good for the Bombers, but not so good for Barker.

They have at least 12months of turmoil and stage managing before they can start new.

The Bombers would be better served putting in some ex-Bomber flunky to steer the rudderless ship until it runs aground.

Then appoint a rebuilding coach.

They have at least 12months of turmoil and stage managing before they can start new.

The Bombers would be better served putting in some ex-Bomber flunky to steer the rudderless ship until it sinks.

Then appoint a financial administrator.

Barker was always going to struggle to get the job.
Q1 at the interview "What changes would you make at the club"
Q2 at the interview. "Why haven't you been able to make these changes in 4 years at the club"

If you have to interview against external candidates you are rarely going to get the job.

Barker was always going to struggle to get the job.
Q1 at the interview "What changes would you make at the club"
Q2 at the interview. "Why haven't you been able to make these changes in 4 years at the club"

If you have to interview against external candidates you are rarely going to get the job.
Yeh, nah. Answer question 1 with what you think, then in answer two, you remind them of the two blokes they sacked for being incompetant and not making the changes that you think should have been made.

When JB came into the role there were a lot who were uncertain and even pessimistic.
Now it's undisputable that he has done magnificently well!

His no bullshit attitude has given the kids a tough-as-nails approach going forward.
He saved Nicky Graham and brought in the kids which we will be thankful for next year when they aren't daunted by the task.
He had the players really digging deep at times when there was little-to-nothing to externally motivate them.

My opinion of him has dramatically changed, and whatever his next step I wish him well and thank him deeply for the guts and determination he showed in righting the near unrightable this year. :thumbsu:

Yeh, nah. Answer question 1 with what you think, then in answer two, you remind them of the two blokes they sacked for being incompetant and not making the changes that you think should have been made.
Not sure making excuses in job interviews gives people the warm and fuzzy feeling they are looking for regardless of the validity.

When JB came into the role there were a lot who were uncertain and even pessimistic.
Now it's undisputable that he has done magnificently well!

His no bullshit attitude has given the kids a tough-as-nails approach going forward.
He saved Nicky Graham and brought in the kids which we will be thankful for next year when they aren't daunted by the task.
He had the players really digging deep at times when there was little-to-nothing to externally motivate them.

My opinion of him has dramatically changed, and whatever his next step I wish him well and thank him deeply for the guts and determination he showed in righting the near unrightable this year. :thumbsu:
Or outright hostile because I really don't rate him as someone to develop and train up the skills of footballers. However, he seems to work best as a coordinator and leader of coaches.

Not sure making excuses in job interviews gives people the warm and fuzzy feeling they are looking for regardless of the validity.
Excuse or fact?
Both of the coaches appointed above Barker were sacked so clearly the club wasn't buying what they were selling. There's nothing wrong with telling the truth in an interview.

The Bombers would be better served putting in some ex-Bomber flunky to steer the rudderless ship until it runs aground.

Then appoint a rebuilding coach.
No... I think that they need to start from scratch. They need to clear out everyone even remotely associated with the drugs scandal. And I think that if Barker was to be appointed as the new head coach, he would actually enhance his reputation as a senior coach if he could get the bombers back to being mid-table over the next 5 years. Because god knows that they are going to be wooden spooners for the next few years.

I'm one of those who thought JB was a dud, he still might be (as a line coach) but what's certain is that he's a great Carlton man. Would love him as VFL coach to instil pride in the jumper at all levels of the club. Otherwise, wouldn't begrudge him if he goes elsewhere to add some more strings to his CV now that he's experienced the selection process. JB has flaws, but you can't put a price on integrity and he has that in spades.

No... I think that they need to start from scratch. They need to clear out everyone even remotely associated with the drugs scandal. And I think that if Barker was to be appointed as the new head coach, he would actually enhance his reputation as a senior coach if he could get the bombers back to being mid-table over the next 5 years. Because god knows that they are going to be wooden spooners for the next few years.

I agree Dram, I just don't think they'll be free of all the s**t straight away.

When the suspensions are announced and Little is gone they might be able to start, but we don't know when all that will be done. I reckon they'll still be wrestling with turmoil until halfway through next year. T
I'll be interested to see who their panel select.

If it's a Harvey or old school Essendoper, they aren't through the smoke yet.

Excuse or fact?
Both of the coaches appointed above Barker were sacked so clearly the club wasn't buying what they were selling. There's nothing wrong with telling the truth in an interview.
Definitely fact but also an excuse.

I liked what Barker did. I just don't think he had a realistic chance of getting the job because he was part of the unsuccessful coaching team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah lets hope he stays, unless he were to get a senior coaching job elsewhere ... though i don't imagine it will be Adelaide? Only really leaving Essendon :drunk:

Rotated the list, didn't gift fellas games......and didn't run the kids into the ground.

No hassles, no ego, no big statements, always looking to the future.

Can't thank this guy enough.
Made a stronger statement about playing for the jumper in just a couple of weeks than his predecessor did in a couple of years.
I hope he has a great coaching future ahead of him :thumbsu:

I agree Dram, I just don't think they'll be free of all the s**t straight away.

When the suspensions are announced and Little is gone they might be able to start, but we don't know when all that will be done. I reckon they'll still be wrestling with turmoil until halfway through next year. T
I'll be interested to see who their panel select.

If it's a Harvey or old school Essendoper, they aren't through the smoke yet.
As I said, I wouldnt be too unhappy if Barker went and became the senior coach of the Bullants.

As I said, I wouldnt be too unhappy if Barker went and became the senior coach of the Bullants.

That would work for me.

I suspect it will be considered a far more important role under Bolton than MM.

MM's view of the Bullants was " nope, nothing there" .

Depends what Barker wants as well I suppose. JB and BB strike me as grown ups, I'm sure they'll work something out.

Did Richo and Hinkley both go for the Port job? They seemed to work well together.

Thank you John Barker.

I was one that believed that you never had it in you to be an acceptable coach at the AFL level. Little did we know how much spirit, hunger and desire you would enable the playing group to have in the famous navy blue jumper again. Although much of the playing list may (will) be turned over before we next find the ultimate success what you've managed to do with players who will remain through the rebuild has been noticed. I and hopefully we will look back and see that your appointment as caretaker coach was the first step in the right direction and that it will always be appreciated.

I hope that you enjoy the remaining two weeks of the season and wish you nothing but the best of luck moving forward.

Barkers short reign at the helm has made him many more friends and admirers than could have been expected. He has been professional and caring and we could not have asked for more in terms of helping set the club up to move on from a horrendous period in our history.

John,

I wish you well for the future and would be very happy if that was with our younger players, teaching them more of the lessons you have started in the last few weeks.

I believe you genuinely care for the well-being of the players and club above your own, and that is not always the case when people are put in a similar position as you were.

A sincere thank you for your efforts and good luck with whatever you decide is your future.

That would work for me.

I suspect it will be considered a far more important role under Bolton than MM.

MM's view of the Bullants was " nope, nothing there" .

Depends what Barker wants as well I suppose. JB and BB strike me as grown ups, I'm sure they'll work something out.

Did Richo and Hinkley both go for the Port job? They seemed to work well together.

Come on now, MM was at Northern Blues games all the time (they aren't the Bullants anymore, FYI ;))

Rotated the list, didn't gift fellas games......and didn't run the kids into the ground.

No hassles, no ego, no big statements, always looking to the future.

Can't thank this guy enough.

What he said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back