News John Barker - set to remain at Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

The Trigg jobs for mates association aside, I don't get the hate for Neil Craig, he can't be held responsible for the problems at two rabbles (Melbourne and *) and had a pretty good win-loss record at Adelaide.

The Trigg jobs for mates association aside, I don't get the hate for Neil Craig, he can't be held responsible for the problems at two rabbles (Melbourne and *) and had a pretty good win-loss record at Adelaide.

I'd rather see some fresh ideas not recycled ones

I'd rather see some fresh ideas not recycled ones

Director of coaching could describe a wide range of roles, not just every day coaching.

Reckon player/man management is impoetant, reckon Craig did a great job preventing the Andrew McLeod and Tyson Edwards personal spat from adversely affecting the footy club.

Bolton's still a very young man in coaching terms (Boomer Harver is older than Bolts I believe :eek) and i think he could impart some important life lessons on Bolts on how to handle a group of mainly young players just starting their football journey.

Does BB need Neil Craig looking over his shoulder? Let BB forge his own destiny.

When there are clear role guidelines, there doesn't have to be an overlap.
We just haven't been strong enough to forge this and have even sabotaged ourselves many times over in recent years.

We have to employ people that add to the sum of the parts and not take away. Clear KPI's.....The right level of support.....to build a strong team off the field as much as building one on the field. There's the first trick we have to accomplish but the directives and structures must come from Trigg and above.

To be fair, he didn't have much to work with. And IMO we were playing better and it looked like the boys responded a lot better to Barker.

I was referring more to his total body of work over the past 3 seasons or so. The players wouldve responded no matter who took over from mick.

I was referring more to his total body of work over the past 3 seasons or so. The players wouldve responded no matter who took over from mick.
You cannot judge based on the last 3 years as for 2.5 of them he was working under instruction from the senior coach that all changed the day MM was fired...and then we saw results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd prefer to hire 3 skills coaches than a director of coaching and we'd still save money. I don't know the set up at the Northern Blues but they are crap so I would send them more coaches. Improve their standard of play and it will improve our list. It's no coincidence that the top teams/best improving teams have good reserves teams.

It doesn't take a genius to work that our player development is poor.
The Northen Blues should be first matter on the restructuring agenda.
The young players need urgent help.
Ciao

The club left the decision in the hands of Barker whether he stays or goes.

He more probably tossed his cap in the ring for both the Adelaide and Essendon* jobs and with Essendon* chasing another saviour figure in Worsfold and not wanting to go down the route of getting in a brand new coach, he was left as an option for the Adelaide position.

If he is staying as an assistant at Carlton then he wasn't considered for the role at Adelaide.

So what are his options then? Walk out of the club after not getting the top job and be unemployed? or stay as an assistant. I gather that receiving a pay cheque from Carlton is better than being on the dole.

I hope that he has learnt from his time in charge and he becomes more effective as an assistant coach than he has been in the past.

The club left the decision in the hands of Barker whether he stays or goes.

He more probably tossed his cap in the ring for both the Adelaide and Essendon* jobs and with Essendon* chasing another saviour figure in Worsfold and not wanting to go down the route of getting in a brand new coach, he was left as an option for the Adelaide position.

If he is staying as an assistant at Carlton then he wasn't considered for the role at Adelaide.

So what are his options then? Walk out of the club after not getting the top job and be unemployed? or stay as an assistant. I gather that receiving a pay cheque from Carlton is better than being on the dole.

I hope that he has learnt from his time in charge and he becomes more effective as an assistant coach than he has been in the past.

So the club are a little on the fence then?

Can't say for sure but just feel it would be best for Barker to go, unless Bolton's experience with Barker has him wanting him.
It has to be Boltons decision and not pressure from the club trying to play nice guys now.................and not the clubs. Not the way to go.

Agree Harker, the club should not meddle, we need a strong and independent Bolton which I sure he is.
The ways of the past must stop, only strong professionalism and expertise will save this club going forward.
No more excuses for poor judgment errors.
Ciao

So the club are a little on the fence then?

Can't say for sure but just feel it would be best for Barker to go unless Bolton's experience with Barker has him wanting him.
It has to be Boltons decision and not pressure from the club trying to play nice guys now.................and not the clubs. Not the way to go.
The club did come out and say that they were leaving any decision in Barker's hands.

Bolton was the senior coach of Box Hill from 2008-2010... Barker was the assistant coach in charge of forwards at Hawthorn from 2009-2010. Unless there was a lot of interaction between the two camps, which there could have been, I don't see how much experience Bolton would have actually had with Barker.

Bolton would have talked to Barker after being appointed as the senior coach... but in the end, it was Barker's decision and the club let him make it.

The more power that one is granted, the more it somehow inadvertently spills into other areas, making for confusion and annoyance.

We must have a clear and concise protocol that everyone understands and respects.................then we can grow.

We don't want any messiahs on the field and we should ask for any off it.....Not Trigg....Not SOS...Not Bolton............just teamwork.

It doesn't take a genius to work that our player development is poor.
The Northen Blues should be first matter on the restructuring agenda.
The young players need urgent help.
Ciao

What? I always thought our player development was pretty good? Oh wait......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back