1. The ASADA, AFL and drugs in sport Hot Topic board

Media links, the facts, the statements, the allegations, the charges, the court actions, the notices and the clubs mentioned so far. Hundreds of threads, 240,000+ posts.

2. Congratulations to jaydeetee for tipping 7/9 and one off the tie-breaker. FREE Platinum BFSC for you!

Get your tips in!

3. Chat with other Comm Games fans in our Commonwealth Games thread.

And keep up with Aussie athletes in the Aussie Watch Thread.

John Cena

Discussion in 'Entertainment Wrestling' started by Jade's, Apr 12, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. EnglishKangaFan

EnglishKangaFan BFSC Gold

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    The Mighty Hammers!!!!!
    Wow lol some people have absolutely no idea

Cena will go down as one of the greatest performers ever to step foot in the E. His mic work is awesome but most of all, he draws emotion from EVERY fan around. You only need to look at this thread to realise that. Wrestling ability is 2nd to entertainer... Cena entertains

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Jade's

Jade's Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Well said. Everybody knows who Cena is :thumbsu:
  3. The Old Dark Navy's

The Old Dark Navy's Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Dallas Cowboys NottsForest Cronulla
    To be honest, I doubt that the leading face in any PG era post the Attitude Era was going to be able to last as long.

I think the WWE have cashed in on him too long as they failed to find adequate replacements to allow him to change it up a bit more. Now, I'm not sure that the audience will let him.

The reason people think that Cena isn't a patch on Rock, SCSA, HBK, Taker and co is because the modern day WWE isn't a patch on that era. Get rid of the PG rating and allow them greater freedom and then watch how good some of these guys can be.
  4. TheStinger

TheStinger Club Legend

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.
    When guys like CM Punk are brought in and then immediately told to get rid of half their moves from the indies, you can see how much they are stifled by the WWE style and rules. Give some of these guys a bit more latitude and they will burn the house down with what they can do.
  5. PVF

PVF Call Me?

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Heat, Parramatta, Wonders, Ravens
    Then why is he getting so much 'Cena sucks' chants?

He get's no-where near the pops that SCSA and the Rock use to get, even Taker now get's bigger pops.
  6. workhorse

workhorse Team Captain

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Boston Celtics
    This seems like a fairly tense argument so I'll chime in with my thoughts.

It's obvious that the John Cena hate is getting a little out of hand and that people are letting their burning hatred for John Cena overshadow or cloud how he really is.

For those people who say John Cena can't cut a promo, well I'm sorry but that is ludacris! John Cena oozes charisma and confidence. He is great on the mic and can cut a terrific promo.

Now onto in-ring skills. The way I see it, John Cena isn't a great 'wrestler' per se. He doesn't have a wide variety of moves. But what he can do it put on a great match and tell a story. Matches like WM22 vs Triple H, WM23 vs Shawn Michaels, MitB vs CM Punk to name a few.

Now if you believe Cena doesn't generate a lot of money well look at this -

John Cena is worth so much to the WWE. He pulls so much money for the company it's not funny. Not to mention his work for the Make a Wish Foundation.

Now onto the issue of Cena leading the PG13 era. The decision to move that way was not 100% John Cena's choice, he didn't say "Vince lets go PG because I want all the fans to be kids!". And why he may be at the forefront in terms of fans being young as well as his attitude/character, I'm sure if the WWE went back to an adult centred product, Cena would be able to change his character enough to be liked again.

What I see is that because Cena is constantly pushed down our throats and is the 'leader' of the PG era, it's alienating a lot of older fans, thus creating the immemse Cena hate.

The issue I have is with the WWE. The fact that they had kept Cena on top for so long and made him near invincible (SuperCena), while other talent were not given anywhere near the same opportunity. Now this isn't Cena's fault, he can only do what Vince tells him to do. But the WWE really f****d up. They still could've had him on top but had him put over more talent or have him in other feuds to give other talent opporunities at World Titles.

There is only one thing that annoys me that is 100% Cena's fault. And that is this re-accuring smirk that he has on his face during promos. I've noticed it in the last 12-18 months. No matter what happens, no matter how shocking and event or shocking a promo, Cena, for some reason, will stand their with that cheesy grin. The fact that when Brock Lesnar returned he stood their smirking instead of looking slightly surprised just makes it seem so fake. It's annoying because it ruins the story.

So to sum it up, John Cena is a good guy. He is great on the mic and a diligent worker. He can put on great matches. The fact that he has been shoved down our throats is not his fault but it's annoying that his character has not changed for the past 4 years. Their is no doubt that Cena is this era's Hogan, and not Stone Cold or The Rock. Hogan's character was aimed at kids and so is Cena's. The Cena hate is a little out of hand but everyone is entitled to their opinion. But don't hate Cena because you don't like the product the WWE is producing now.

Top 10 of all time - Sure I'd have him up there.
    Greatest of all time - Not so much.
  7. JuddyBuddy

JuddyBuddy Team Captain

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I'm not questioning his importance to the WWEs current business model, but you are most certainly overating where he ranks amongst the greats. Did you even watch wrestling back in the 90's and early 00's?
  8. Dont be a lemon

Dont be a lemon Be a rosebud

Essendon
    Other teams:
    [​IMG]
  9. Pera

Pera Josh Thomas #24

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Newcastle Jets
    He was trolling in the first post. Pretty obvious when they end a OP with 'umad???'

Shit troll is shit.
  10. Jade's

Jade's Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Everyone bleeps on about Super Cena and how he never puts anyone over....Did you not watch wrestlemania...lost clean to the rock, lost clean to CM Punk.

Now when was the last time Sheamus lost clean?

Orton?

Taker?
  11. Jade's

Jade's Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    [​IMG]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo Turkish Delight

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Arsenal, Clippers
    Mike Awesome and Cena would have had awesome fueds in WCW in the early 2000's.

He is at the top of the company now simply because there is no one else.

Who else is there? Seriously?
  13. Pera

Pera Josh Thomas #24

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Newcastle Jets
  14. Pera

Pera Josh Thomas #24

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Newcastle Jets
    And you're claiming we didnt watch Wrestlemania.

What.an.idiot!
  15. Jade's

Jade's Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Loses clean less than Cena :eek:
  16. Pera

Pera Josh Thomas #24

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Newcastle Jets
    That's because Cena isn't all that good...
  17. Jade's

Jade's Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    So if he wins he doesn't put over talent if he loses he isn't that good...:rolleyes:
  18. Pera

Pera Josh Thomas #24

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Newcastle Jets
    You said he wins titles, but now, the minute he loses matches, you say he puts talent over.

Stay classy Jade. :thumbsu:
  19. Jade's

Jade's Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Im merely pointing out the inconsistencies of your flawed arguement :eek:

He has been a 19 time title winner and has also put over many young wrestlers in the process. His value to the industry is second to none.

Keep flailing away with the blind Cena hatred though :eek:
  20. Pera

Pera Josh Thomas #24

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Newcastle Jets
    Never made an argument. Was rebutting yours. And never said I hated Cena, he is just no where near the 12 year old "OMGZZZ MUMMY, Cena is best wrestlah evaaahh!!1!1one"

You clearly aren't good at this.
  21. Jade's

Jade's Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    If you were rebutting my arguement you are doing a terrible job at it. One minute you state he is super Cena and never puts anyone over. The next he isnt good enough to win despite having 19 titles :eek:
  22. Pera

Pera Josh Thomas #24

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nuff said really.

Don't think you'll get too many people agreeing with you. Bye now.
  23. Jade's

Jade's Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Most reasonable posters agree with me...Will definitely be top 5 ever by the end of his career if not the best of all
  24. The Old Dark Navy's

The Old Dark Navy's Moderator

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Dallas Cowboys NottsForest Cronulla
    Pity even the wrestling board is reduced to pettiness and a lack of objectivity. I mean, is it that big a deal?
  25. Jade's

Jade's Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Never fails to surprise how people can be so one-eyed on the most basic topics :eek:

Argueing against the statement that Cena will go down as one of the top 5 wrestlers of all time is like argueing that Geelong didnt win last years flag yet mulitple muppets have attempted it in this thread :eek: