Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Is better than the Daily Show (and streets ahead of Colbert).

Pros:
No boring guests so they can focus on the comedy
No boring filler songs at the end of shows to pad out time (cough Colbert)
Discussion about international events rather than rehashing the Daily Shows stories and jokes (cough Colbert)

Cons:
Too much upfront old man nudity for my liking (please let that be a one off).
Only once a week.

Awesome show so far. Just wish I could remember its bloody name. What do others think?

This week's episode was amazing, the FIFA stuff was terrific, and I'm still laughing at how they ended the ep.

That was brilliant. Can't believe they went to the lengths they did to make it happen, and the lyrics were done perfectly

Loving the fact that it's on HBO as well, gives it that almost chaserish element where he can have a dip at anyone and everything without worrying about sponsors or anything.

His piece on fifa was brilliant

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I really didn't like John Oliver in the first season of Community because I hadn't been watching the Daily Show much at the time and fallen in love with him like seemingly everyone else. But last year when he filled in for Jon Stewart I really became aware of his brilliance. So I came into this one with fairly high expectations, but they have been completely smashed. The FIFA rant, the Tony Abbott take-down, Steve Buscemi tap-dancing, Right Said Fred, the 97 scientists ... it's like the Daily Show on steroids (and without the hit-and-miss correspondent sketches).

It's still early days, but I'm finding it a lot more rewarding (and hilarious) than the Daily Show.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
Great show. I think its a bit harsh on Daily Show and Colbert though as they have to do their show 5 times a week but I usually find it pretty different each episode. I love all three and will be sad especially when Colbert leaves to take over from Letterman but Oliver can take over the mantle with this show permanently!

Back