Johncock Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 28, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, West Adelaide
Veteran Graham Johncock has announced his retirement from AFL football, effective immediately, saying his battle-weary body can no longer withstand the rigours of AFL.
Recruited with pick No.67 in the 2000 National Draft, Johncock played 227 games for Adelaide, ranked ninth on the Club’s all-time games leaderboard. The 30-year-old from Port Lincoln is one of only 11 players to reach 200 games at the Crows, and is 11th in the Indigenous games record.
Johncock received Life Membership of the Adelaide Football Club in March, 2011.
Crows General Manager Football Administration Phil Harper said Johncock, who was unable to play in the SANFL last weekend because of a back injury, had been a wonderful servant of the Club.
“Graham has been a wonderful player for our Club. He has been with us for 13 seasons since 2001, when he joined us as a shy 18-year-old from Port Lincoln,” Harper said.
“Graham has shown his quality by finishing in the top five in our Club Champion award six times (2003,2004, 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2011), which is an amazing show of consistency and durability over a long period of time.
“Whilst we all wanted Graham’s career to last forever, we understand his observation that father time has told his body that enough is enough. We wish Graham, Jade and his girls Felicity and Nevaeh all the best in his retirement from AFL football.
“Members and supporters will be pleased to know that Graham has agreed to do a lap of honour at the final Crows home game at AAMI Stadium, against Melbourne on August 24.”
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-07-01/johncock-calls-time-on-brilliant-career

A great career comes to an end. Thank you for everything Stiffy, a true icon of our club.

Sad to see him go but the time feels right. Well done on a great career Stiffy!

:( So sad to see you leave. 227 top games, such a shame we couldn't get you a flag. Thanks for the memories Stiffy.

Great player for the club, loved watching him play with the way he took on the game. Sadly played in four losing prelim finals :( but a great career nonetheless. Well done Stiffy Graham!

Sidebar: interesting timing :cool: (sure there weren't any inducements from the club to announce this today!).

Sad to see him go. A great player. Can't help but think this has been triggered by being told that he'd played his last game for the club. A couple of weeks back, he wasn't saying that his body wasn't up to it. Don't feel he has been given the opportunities this year that he deserved. Bit of a sour ending to a terrific career.

Respect on a great career, allows a few more games to help develop our younger guys too (assuming he could have pushed back in for 3-5 games in the second half of the season).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great player for the club, loved watching him play with the way he took on the game. Sadly played in four losing prelim finals :( but a great career nonetheless. Well done Stiffy!

Sidebar: interesting timing :cool: (sure there weren't any inducements from the club to announce this today!).

Sums up my thoughts exactly on the whole situation and your last part as well.

thanks stiffy. one of our most underrated players at his peak. was excellent through 2002-2012. history will probbaly say he went one too many years

I loved Stiffy and at his best he was a reason to go to the footy (I thought he was robbed of an All Australian one year by Macca and everyone knows how much I love Macca).

The writing was on the wall at the start of last season when he turned up in less than peak condition despite the change of coach. The crazies like Chris McDermott who wanted him running off half back all this year do look a little silly now.

He should have played him even though he wasn't in suitable physical condition?

Not so much this year, but last year when he was relegated to playing forward. I still personally thought he had a place last year in our backline, but the coaching staff clearly didnt.

The writing was on the wall at the start of last season when he turned up in less than peak condition despite the change of coach.

And yet this year he turned up in the best shape he's been in for years. Unfortunately, it looks like Sando had already marked his card.

He should have played him even though he wasn't in suitable physical condition?

I don't think there was anything the matter with his physical condition this year. Smoke screen to avoid saying 'we don't think he's good enough'.

IMO All time top 10 crows player, absolute champ of a bloke, old skool and a funny human being.
BTW he doesn't really like to be called St#$%, as I am sure many know, maybe we could leave that out of this thread out of respect to him (not that he reads bigfooty). Just a suggestion. Up to you guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back