Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
I'm not sure why so many have expectations of 20 year old players like O'Rourke having to come in and play 15-20 games. We're the reigning premiers and our depth is great, if O'Rourke plays most of the year at Box Hill next season and has 5 odd games in our senior team, that's fine with me. He'll be developed and brought along much like the rest of our young players.

The great thing about the Hawks is that we look short term, medium term and long term. O'Rourke is medium to long term, much like Hartung, Anderson, O'Brien, etc.

That's not to say he can't be fast tracked, just that we shouldn't call for his head if he doesn't make his HFC debut by Round 3.
Sorry Slick but logic and common sense have no place on an internet forum. Don't you know anything??

;)

at 188cm and 78kg, he might need to put on a bit of muscle

in comparison Smith who is a pure runner and has very limited inside game is 188cm 82kg

i'd like to see O'Rourke at least get to Smiths weight

O'Rourke 188cm 78kg - needs to bulk up a bit
I.Smith 188cm 82kg - winger
J. Lewis 186cm 88kg - inside/outside player

if he wants to be like Lewis as an inside/out midfielder then he might need a bit more bulk

only 4 kg - sheez o put on 5kg on the weekend at my sister's 50th!

HR Roughnstuf

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
True....But the Jono's have been doing just fine for us of late!;)

Muston's was a knee & Dowler a hip on account of a car accident....That's far more structural than a simple hammy!

FWIW....Joel Selwood was in much the same boat as Muston the following year (Probably the reason we skipped on him) yet hasn't looked back since....Luck plays a big part in such things....Also, I think Muston's first graft didn't take, so he was terribly unfortunate....With Dowler, I reckon it was more his confidence took a blow after his car accident way more than his actual hip!

I'll back our decision in on this one!

Yep.

I think Judd's injuries at the draft had an effect on choosing Hodge (now this is a 2004-05 point of view before everyone jumps in here). The club then thought ok, risk on injuried players can pay off, drafted Dowler and Muston in 05, neither played a game in 06 and so then I think they thought we can't risk another pick on an injured player so took Thorp over Selwood.

Yep.

I think Judd's injuries at the draft had an effect on choosing Hodge (now this is a 2004-05 point of view before everyone jumps in here). The club then thought ok, risk on injuried players can pay off, drafted Dowler and Muston in 05, neither played a game in 06 and so then I think they thought we can't risk another pick on an injured player so took Thorp over Selwood.

Thank God for that, hence the 70,000 potential members.

Big A

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2010
St Kilda
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Get a massive preseason into him to fast track his progression into the team as early as possible next year.
None of this Box Hill and waiting until 2016/2017.
I have a great feeling he will come on in leaps and sooner than some think.
We have snared a beauty in Jaws.
Done it again Wrighty you beauty!

driftyhunter

Team Captain
May 7, 2011
The Beach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tokyo Goannas
Get a massive preseason into him to fast track his progression into the team as early as possible next year.
JOR loves a beer I reckon and just wants in on the 3 peat after game bash. He'll be staggering through the throngs of young female groupies with his BHH jumper on a year from now. 20 year olds love that s**t

HawkintheTuarts

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Flyers

Hallahan - Mitchell
Woodward - Lewis
Anderson - Hodge
O'Rourke - Burgoyne

Great deal for us. Isn't it nice when things just work? Definite succession plan

I would temper expectations around him in regards to being "Pick 2". If he had delivered on his talent to date he wouldn't have been able to join Hawthorn. Going by what the draft observers saw of him at the time, he was more a top 5 or top 10 even pick, who GWS wanted so reached a bit for him (not like they didn't have the picks), so it's already an over-estimation. He clearly has the talent, which can be evidenced by his high draft selection, but I'm not expecting the next Hodge from him. If he gets somewhere near Sewell/Lewis calibre of player in his career that'd be awesome but he may just end up around Shiels' current level which tbf would be fine too.

As for how he plays, he may be more outside at the moment but they brought him in because they expect him to add to his inside game. Considering Wright talked up that part of his game I'd say there's little to worry there. Starts the season at Box Hill, learning the gameplan, then pushes for selection if he's ready. Meanwhile Boxer and Woody are in and around the team staking their claim too. All is good!

Nomore4s

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That's fine but it's not really the Hawthorn way, you earn your spot in our team and once you're in you need to preform or you are out such is our depth.

The other issue is, who's spot does he take?
You also have Anderson, Whitecross, Hallahan, Woodward, Simpkin and Hartung all trying to get into the team as well. On current form a few of these guys will be in front of O'Rourke.
He may get a game or 3 but he will spend a bit of time at BHH I would think.

You may need to be patient.

brew

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2003
Strefi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We would have had our eye on JOR for a about a year now.

It's well known we look at future requirements and have list of oppition players who we can target.

Our club knows what it's doing.. Doesn't mean we'll always get it right, but it will pay off a lot more times than not.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
We would have had our eye on JOR for a about a year now.

It's well known we look at future requirements and have list of oppition players who we can target.

Our club knows what it's doing.. Doesn't mean we'll always get it right, but it will pay off a lot more times than not.

Heard Wrighty admit that they have been talking to him since his draft! Shows how long we have been planning our collection of pacey outside runners (although JOR seems to show promise as an inside too).

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
One of the reasons I think that JOR will develop into a great player is that at Hawthorn we seem to have an elite coaching staff. I only have limited experience in training but I've observed that, if you can't kick a football at 18 (and I'm assuming you grew up playing AFL), then you probably won't be great by foot ever. I am so impressed with how much Bradley Hill's kicking improved within 2 years, so I'm going to back the Hawks coaches to turn the promise this kid has into on field success.

Hallahan - Mitchell
Woodward - Lewis
Anderson - Hodge
O'Rourke - Burgoyne

Great deal for us. Isn't it nice when things just work? Definite succession plan

I would temper expectations around him in regards to being "Pick 2". If he had delivered on his talent to date he wouldn't have been able to join Hawthorn. Going by what the draft observers saw of him at the time, he was more a top 5 or top 10 even pick, who GWS wanted so reached a bit for him (not like they didn't have the picks), so it's already an over-estimation. He clearly has the talent, which can be evidenced by his high draft selection, but I'm not expecting the next Hodge from him. If he gets somewhere near Sewell/Lewis calibre of player in his career that'd be awesome but he may just end up around Shiels' current level which tbf would be fine too.

As for how he plays, he may be more outside at the moment but they brought him in because they expect him to add to his inside game. Considering Wright talked up that part of his game I'd say there's little to worry there. Starts the season at Box Hill, learning the gameplan, then pushes for selection if he's ready. Meanwhile Boxer and Woody are in and around the team staking their claim too. All is good!

This is a slightly better example of a rube goldberg machine where things just work.

Oct 4, 2005
In my happy place
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, NYJets
Heard Wrighty admit that they have been talking to him since his draft! Shows how long we have been planning our collection of pacey outside runners (although JOR seems to show promise as an inside too).
Must.keep.wrighty

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One of the reasons I think that JOR will develop into a great player is that at Hawthorn we seem to have an elite coaching staff. I only have limited experience in training but I've observed that, if you can't kick a football at 18 (and I'm assuming you grew up playing AFL), then you probably won't be great by foot ever. I am so impressed with how much Bradley Hill's kicking improved within 2 years, so I'm going to back the Hawks coaches to turn the promise this kid has into on field success.
Yep - plenty of our young players have been developed really well. Add to this some of the imports who are twice the players they were eg Gibbo and Gunston

Dec 31, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors,Chicago Bulls
JOR probably chose us fully realising he won't immediately be best 22, so the challenge is there.
Agree - I think he is backing our ability to get the maximum out of him.
We are excellent at development and creating an environment of excellence.
He is maximising his chances of having a successful AFL career, if it works out it is win-win.

Good choice Jono!!!

brew

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2003
Strefi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep - plenty of our young players have been developed really well. Add to this some of the imports who are twice the players they were eg Gibbo and Gunston

Why stop there?

Burgoyne had shot knees and was never going to recapture his best form.

Lake was past it.

Ceglar was delisted by Collingwood.

Hale was no good and even Melbourne supporters trolled us.

Spangher.. enough said.

Back