Jon Ralph on why Macca was sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep wondering if Peter Wright is sitting there thinking Daniel Gorringe-like thoughts about how the bulldogs were in his ear prior to the Boyd trade... while his parents help him pack for GWS. I'm trying really hard to cheer myself up by thinking he'll come to us in a couple of years time now the door has been opened...
I've been thinking about this too. Four weeks ago we were all over Peter Wright, and I don't just mean this BF board. The club was obviously super keen on him and very hopeful of getting him. He was the perfect fit we were told. Meanwhile, we had been nibbling away at Boyd all year, but we obviously didn't expect to get him until next trade period. So we would have had Wright this year and then Boyd in 12 months time. Perfect!

A lot has changed since then. Firstly, the Melbourne compo pick for Frawley was a blow, but the Griffen bombshell blew all our original plans away and we had to make the best of the situation. I'm not sure if it was Pickering or us who took the lead in that - probably Pickers. It's a real shame because 2015 will be another development year for Boyd and it would have been better if GWS had subsidised it. Then we would pick him up just when he's ready to dominate in 2016.

So instead, in 2015 we will have a very inexperienced and developing Boyd ... and no Wright or Griffen. :(
Draft day is going to be a bit of a sad affair for us, as we have no picks inside the top 25.

So do we blame Macca for all this, or Griffen, or just those blasted footy gods?

The more I think about it the more I reckon it could have been an utter disaster. We nearly lost Wood and maybe Dahlhaus too. Then who knows? There could have been a domino effect. Cooney, Tutt, Jones and Higgins I can mostly live without (and sort of see the bright side of it) but losing Griffen is a savage blow. If Wood and Dahl had left I'd have been reaching for the razor blades...

I've been thinking about this too. Four weeks ago we were all over Peter Wright, and I don't just mean this BF board. The club was obviously super keen on him and very hopeful of getting him. He was the perfect fit we were told. Meanwhile, we had been nibbling away at Boyd all year, but we obviously didn't expect to get him until next trade period. So we would have had Wright this year and then Boyd in 12 months time. Perfect!

A lot has changed since then. Firstly, the Melbourne compo pick for Frawley was a blow, but the Griffen bombshell blew all our original plans away and we had to make the best of the situation. I'm not sure if it was Pickering or us who took the lead in that - probably Pickers. It's a real shame because 2015 will be another development year for Boyd and it would have been better if GWS had subsidised it. Then we would pick him up just when he's ready to dominate in 2016.

So instead, in 2015 we will have a very inexperienced and developing Boyd ... and no Wright or Griffen. :(
Draft day is going to be a bit of a sad affair for us, as we have no picks inside the top 25.

So do we blame Macca for all this, or Griffen, or just those blasted footy gods?

The more I think about it the more I reckon it could have been an utter disaster. We nearly lost Wood and maybe Dahlhaus too. Then who knows? There could have been a domino effect. Cooney, Tutt, Jones and Higgins I can mostly live without (and sort of see the bright side of it) but losing Griffen is a savage blow. If Wood and Dahl had left I'd have been reaching for the razor blades...
I'd rather Boyd than Wright. I believe the last year TAC cup numbers Boyd beats both Wright and McCartin.
He also has a year more development on both.
Griffen stays then no Boyd.
No Boyd, Wright or McCartin then a retiring Griffen in 2016 was a real possibility given Saints didn't want to swap picks 4 & 6 for 1.
Time to start afresh. Happy with that.

I'd rather Boyd than Wright. I believe the last year TAC cup numbers Boyd beats both Wright and McCartin.
He also has a year more development on both.
Griffen stays then no Boyd.
No Boyd, Wright or McCartin then a retiring Griffen in 2016 was a real possibility given Saints didn't want to swap picks 4 & 6 for 1.
Time to start afresh. Happy with that.
Yeah, I'd rather Boyd than Wright too but I still think Wright would have been great for us. And why not have both, if that was the plan?
If reports are to be believed we were planning on bagging Boyd in 2015 post-season, so we could have had Griff and Wright next season and then add Boyd next trade period. It might be argued that (a) we could have been outbid by Carlton etc and (b) we might not have the booty that would satisfy GWS in a trade next year, but who knows?

Anyway that's all hypothetical because Griff got pushed into a no-fun role 12 months ago and wanted out. I'm still excited for the future with Boyd - just disappointed that we couldn't have got Wright (or perhaps Lever) as well. I could've happily (and unknowingly) waited another year for Boyd.

You need 8 A graders and a solid cast of predominantly B graders with only 1-2 C graders to win a Flag

We now have 6 A Grarders coming thru: Liberatore, Dalhaus, Stringer, Macrae, Bontempelli & Boyd

Some will question the Dalhaus inclusion but given his reported angst with Brendan it explains his improvement graph plateauing this year - I expect it to return to its upward trajectory next season. Watch out

We still need to find a new A Grade Tall and 1 A Grade medium defender before we can make a serious assault.
Whilst I expect Talia and Roberts to improve, I don't expect them being any better than B or B+.

So whilst I am happy to get Boyd - great for the club
Had we acquired pick 4 from GWS we actually had an opportunity to find the key forward and key defender
But as the saying goes, one in the hand is worth two in the bush - and Boyd is a keeper

Finding or developing an A grade medium defender is not as difficult as it is to find or develop an A grade key tall defender. The A grade medium defender may already be at the club or may arrive draft day. The tall defender will not. And without the tall ace in defence we will end up short at another preliminary final.

Having got Boyd. Jason and the team now needs to go in to commando mode to get Carlisle or his ilk at the next trade period - whilst securing every bit of talent we currently have hard and fast. We really don't have time to develop a gun tall defender unless we get very lucky with pick 26/27 in this draft - we will have to trade him in next year

The truth will out...
Senior players lacked identity and leadership.
They did not have the self esteem to handle strong feedback.
Monty saw an opportunity to undermine Macca.
Claims of abuse in exit interviews have been wildly exaggerated (if it really happened it would be front page news, written by reputable journos).
The boys club won, gordon relented and Macca left.
If monty gets the job now it confirms what I've said all along about the cultural problems at the club.

Before people suggest I'm a Macca apologist, all I'm saying is that his sacking should have occurred based on poor results on the field not because of a systematic campaign to degrade his character.

Complete and utter garbage mate

Macca lost the players for what in other aspect of life would be called verbal abuse and belittlement.

And Monty wasn't even in the country

But you are right the news will come out and then I guarantee Macca will not be seen in the same light.

And for they matter the real reason Sando got the chop and that also was not completely player driven as it has been surmised

Yeah, I'd rather Boyd than Wright too but I still think Wright would have been great for us. And why not have both, if that was the plan?
If reports are to be believed we were planning on bagging Boyd in 2015 post-season, so we could have had Griff and Wright next season and then add Boyd next trade period. It might be argued that (a) we could have been outbid by Carlton etc and (b) we might not have the booty that would satisfy GWS in a trade next year, but who knows?

Anyway that's all hypothetical because Griff got pushed into a no-fun role 12 months ago and wanted out. I'm still excited for the future with Boyd - just disappointed that we couldn't have got Wright (or perhaps Lever) as well. I could've happily (and unknowingly) waited another year for Boyd.
Griffen would have played for 2015 only, given he said he was thinking of retiring.
His value and availability now meant we got Boyd now, next year Carlton, Saints, etc were on the market too. I'm not so sure we would have as much bargaining power then.
We need key defenders too but they much easier to get lucky from state leagues/late pick/rookie picks(eg.Morris or Lake) than tall forwards in the Boyd mould.

Macca lost the players for what in other aspect of life would be called verbal abuse and belittlement.

But you are right the news will come out and then I guarantee Macca will not be seen in the same light.

And for they matter the real reason Sando got the chop and that also was not completely player driven as it has been surmised
Mattdougie let it go he has gone
When he was still our coach you would hint that you had inside info how he had no idea how to coach and or even develop players, no game day strategy - you never ever mention he was an abusive psycho path - no one did

Now that he is gone - it is becomeping so ridiculous, he is apparently belittling players because they have breakfast with their mothers. I fully expect that in week time i will be reading that he was sexually abusing players.

And yet when he was coaching th hate fraternity never mentioned a single thing about him being so tough, demaning, ruthless.

Now either none of you have any contact with anyone at the club or there is a truckload of self serving revisionism going on.

But no matter how you cut it - the worse Brendan is now painted - it no longer reflects on him at all
It actually reflects only on the players and the club hierarchy for being such hopeless victims

And if your stories are true, these players are incapable of taking us anywhere. Or we are to believe Brendan as some marquis de Sade character terrorising and brutalising all around him. Running a concentration camp or mental torture and abuse.

Even Abu graib and Guantanamo were able to smuggle pictures out to prove the abuse

I want to see pictures.

Your attitude through all this has shown you are unable to see 2 sides of the story. For all you got right about the disharmony you are equally wrong about the cause. Maybe you need to consider the reasons why your source wants you to believe certain things...

...and also the inevitability of weak minded players taking feedback/criticism so personally.

Last edited:
Your attitude through all this has shown you are unable to see 2 sides of the story. For all you got right about the disharmony you are equally wrong about the cause. Maybe you need to consider the reasons why your source (if you even have one) wants you to believe certain things.

No my attitude is based on inside info I have had for over a year and have stated this. I think most have accepted I have known a lot more than many thought and I can also tell you I haven't told people close to all I know.

And my sources(plural) again as I've stated numberous times are not all Macca haters in fact one of them was one of "his golden boys"

So believe what u want but ask yourself this question. Why did Roughead(one of a Maccas "boys") agree that he had to go and that was in fact the final nail in the coffin?

Macca was verbally abusive and insulted far beyond just annoying so called soft players

When the truth comes out will you be big enough to admit ou were wrong?

No my attitude is based on inside info I have had for over a year and have stated this. I think most have accepted I have known a lot more than many thought and I can also tell you I haven't told people close to all I know.

And my sources(plural) again as I've stated numberous times are not all Macca haters in fact one of them was one of "his golden boys"

So believe what u want but ask yourself this question. Why did Roughead(one of a Maccas "boys") agree that he had to go and that was in fact the final nail in the coffin?

Macca was verbally abusive and insulted far beyond just annoying so called soft players

When the truth comes out will you be big enough to admit ou were wrong?

I'm interested to know what you made of the herald sun article yesterday suggesting monty was using the disharmony to undermine Macca?

I'm interested to know what you made of the herald sun article yesterday suggesting monty was using the disharmony to undermine Macca ?

I honestly haven't read it

I will give it a read and let you know

And Monty will not get the job I'd be absolutely stunned if he does and the only reason he will is if we can't afford anyone else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying move on.

The relentless anti-Macca campaign got their man. I don't care who had inside info and what Macca was and wasn't doing. Not interested anymore.

This is the why Macca got sacked thread so if YOU don't care probably don't read this one coz that's what this is about

And Macca got sacked due to himself don't blame others

And Monty will not get the job I'd be absolutely stunned if he does and the only reason he will is if we can't afford anyone else
Hope you are right, MD. I want someone from outside the club.

I wrote a post in the middle of all the upheaval about not trusting Monty. Was asked to prove it, couldn't really and was told to have a couple of beers. I have seen him at a Cafe where a group o of players were once. He acknowledged them briefly but went and sat by himself a couple of tables away. I just thought it was weird. And I just pick up that he is quiet and cunning. Still have no real proof and I got the impression that Macca was a kindly father figure to the players and I certainly got that wrong!

Four weeks ago we were all over Peter Wright, and I don't just mean this BF board. The club was obviously super keen on him and very hopeful of getting him. He was the perfect fit we were told. Meanwhile, we had been nibbling away at Boyd all year, but we obviously didn't expect to get him until next trade period. So we would have had Wright this year and then Boyd in 12 months time. Perfect!
I thought Wright was rated in the top 5 so he wouldn't get to us anyway. Likewise McCartin. When draft night comes around, I guess we'll wonder about "what ifs" once the first 5 picks are out of the way. Although some people forget that Jarryd Roughead was unattainable in 2004 :rolleyes:

Who was that out of interest? Will more details about this affair come out in the news?

That is my fear MD.... My biggest fear!!

I think that is it though. Secure Boyd now, or have just a chance you might next year.

Mattdougie revealed via high level encryption technology that Brendan Macartney had water boarded certain players to toughen them. Apparently, these extreme methods where routinely used at Geelong FC and is believed to be a key factor in helping them win their premierships.

Joel Corey, Scarlet and Mooney reckon it did them no harm and the bulldog players are just pussies.

I thought Wright was rated in the top 5 so he wouldn't get to us anyway. Likewise McCartin. When draft night comes around, I guess we'll wonder about "what ifs" once the first 5 picks are out of the way. Although some people forget that Jarryd Roughead was unattainable in 2004 :rolleyes:
Yes he was rated probably top 4 and we had pick 5 (originally). As Fronk kept saying, if we really wanted him we could get him (trade up or whatever) without having to hope he'd slip to pick 5.

Anyway he's going elsewhere now. Melbourne, GWS or Collingwood I'd reckon.

Mattdougie revealed via high level encryption technology that Brendan Macartney had water boarded certain players to toughen them. Apparently, these extreme methods where routinely used at Geelong FC and is believed to be a key factor in helping them win their premierships.

Joel Corey, Scarlet and Mooney reckon it did them no harm and the bulldog players are just pussies.

U know what these three leaches can go to hell. As for Mooney. his name means c@nt in Greek and its apt. How dare a part-time media gallah and failed part-time coach have the cheek to talk about the Western Bulldogs Organisation hours after the coach sacking. Pull ur head in failure - just like the failure coach Geelong didn't want i didn't see anyone knocking down Corey's Scarlett's and Mooney's door at geelong to coach. Jobs for the boys and now they have been exposed they can go back to the shithole they crawled out from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back