Retired Jonathan Brown #3 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple premiership player Jonathan Brown is labouring, Dermott Brereton says he should have retired

EVERYBODY loves Browny.

Whether he’s crashing back into packs taking a grab, kicking a crunch goal, dishing it out or copping it sweet, Jonathan Brown is a footballer’s footballer. The sort of bloke who will shred you with a sledge on the field then laugh it off over a few beers afterwards. Which is what makes it so tough to watch him this season. Over the first 10 rounds of 2014 the Brisbane Lions champion has struggled to get to the front of marking contests and laboured to haul his frame into the air.

It has raised the question of whether his 15th year at AFL level is one season too many. Former Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton is a huge admirer of the Lions No. 16, but concedes he was hoping Brown would retire over summer. Brereton, whose stellar Hawks career faded to two moderate seasons with Sydney and Collingwood, understands Brown’s situation better than most.

Five talking points: Brisbane Lions v Carlton

2. Brownie’s big impact. Dermott Brereton said this week he wished Jonathan Brown had retired in the summer. This match showed the importance his magnetic presence still provides his club. His three superb majors, as well as other goal involvements, kept the Lions in a game they eventually won. He was not their best on ground, but it is inconceivable that they would have won without him. The only fault you could have with the consensus of most 'old school' players, the throwback type of forward who could have played alongside a 'Plugger' Lockett or Terry Daniher, was Brown's choice of footwear: bright yellow, with pink laces. He won't get a please explain notice from the AFL, but he likely will the next time he appears on The Footy Show.

The week to week death riding of Brown in the media this year has been embarrassing.

He's been pretty bloody effective despite his physical limitations and playing in a side that is seriously battling.

Tall poppies everywhere lining up to cut down a champion. He should be getting acclaim for putting his body through another year of torture for his team but instead he has a bunch of snipers in the media taking cheap shots.

10 goals to go until his 600th. Hope it happens at the Gabba.

Last edited:

Sure he may only be at about half capacity of his peak, but averaging 2 goals a game and 4.5 marks is really only an issue because we don't have another key forward who is doing better. If Browny was playing as a second forward instead of a primary key no one would be complaining about his output.

If you take out the three games he's played in that we got absolutely smashed Browny is averaging 14 touches, 6 marks and 2.5 goals a game which isn't a bad effort and shows what happens when our midfield gives him a chance.

Clearly I'm bias, but sitting right behind Browny on the second level, on first view I thought it was a goal.

I was on a slight angle to the goals so I had a very clear view. 1 0 0 % of the ball went over the line. There is no way it could have been a behind - simply no freakin' way.

He may not be covering quite the amount of ground he used to (although gees he still gets around pretty well) and he may only be good for one leap over an Arnott's assorted packet every 5-6 games, but you can't question his commitment that's for sure. Of all the key forwards in the game he's played the second highest percentage of game time with 96.2% only just behind Travis Cloke. Biggest heart in the game and still having a positive impact given all his body has been through. Don't think there's a word or phrase that could sum up the respect I have for that man.

I just want the big fella to reach the 600 goal milestone; 8 to go, and I'm sure he does too.

I wouldn't be surprised that following the milestone the shackles will come off a little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many career goals does Browny have now? Is he in danger of missing 600 with this latest setback?
594*

Both Leppa and Steele Tallon seemed pretty confident that he had no structural damage so there should be no specific medical reason that would stop him missing more than a week.

Whether he decides that that head knock was the final straw though... Who knows.

Lionheart Brown weighs up his future

BRISBANE Lions veteran Jonathan Brown will weigh up his playing future in the coming days after suffering yet another concussion. Brown told The Sunday Footy Show he will contemplate retirement in the next week following this latest incident. "I'm not mentally scarred by what's happened over the last few years, I'll still go out and play footy the same way," Brown said. "The family support is there, there's no pressure either way to hang up the boots.
"You obviously have to weigh up these things. I'm getting to the end of my career, I'm still loving getting out there and trying to get out there and help the younger fellas at the club.

"I certainly don't move around like I used to but I've still got to be able to contribute enough to warrant a spot. We'll just let the dust settle, I don’t think the first 24 hours is the time to make rash decisions. "I'll consult the doctors this week, and obviously my wife and we'll see where things are at, but I'm pretty keen to play a full season that's for sure." When asked if he had played his last game of football, the veteran forward said he was unsure but hoped he could play out the rest of the season. The Lions face Fremantle on Saturday at Patersons Stadium with Brown confirming he was unlikely to travel with the side for a number of reasons.

Alastair Lynch says Brisbane champion Jonathan Brown must do the right thing and look after himself

IT IS time for Jonathan Brown to call it quits on his magnificent AFL career. Now. It’s got to a point simply where, after yet another serious head knock, there is nothing to be gained by playing on. It’ll be a tough call and a courageous call. A different kind of courage to what Browny is known for. But it’s the right call. For 15 years we’ve applauded Browny’s on-field courage. Mostly, the things we admire so much haven’t been conscious decisions. I’m sure he never thought about ramifications when a long ball went over his head and he charged toward an oncoming pack of players with no regard for personal safety.

From day one he has put the Brisbane Lions first after the club, an historical extension of the Fitzroy team his dad played 51 games for, had rolled out the red carpet in the hope he’d leave home, bypass the draft and move to a new frontier via the father/son pathway. It’s impossible to know the private conversations between Brown, his family, coach Justin Leppitsch and club medical staff since he was ko’d against GWS Giants eight days ago. But maybe it’s time the club stepped in. Reassure him he’s not letting anyone down by hanging up the boots and if needed make the decision for him. Even this year, while some have questioned Browny’s wisdom in playing on, he’s filled an invaluable role.

Brisbane champion Jonathan Brown must pass concussion test before playing another AFL game

BRISBANE champion Jonathan Brown must still pass a searching concussion test before he will even make a decision on whether one of the AFL’s most accomplished careers continues. A bitterly dejected Lions coach Justin Leppitsch revealed after a humiliating 83-point loss to premiership contender Fremantle in Perth that his decorated power forward could not even be considered for selection. A decision on whether one of the biggest stars in AFL history will retire is now unlikely to be made this week. Brown, 32, looks certain to miss next Saturday night’s clash with North Melbourne at the Gabba after the big forward suffered another sickening head clash in last week’s home loss to Greater Western Sydney. Leppitsch declined to put a time to just when he will meet with the 256-game superstar.

The Lion King Retires!!

Brisbane Lions champion, Jonathan Brown, today closed the door on an outstanding 15-year career, announcing his retirement from AFL football.

Brown will retire effective immediately, after suffering a heavy concussion during the Lions Round 13 clash with the Giants

Brown_Retirement-hero.jpg

I feel sick.. thanks for everything champ!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back