Retired Jonathan Brown #3 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Leppitsch said Brown, 32, may have taken a step back ahead of his 15th AFL season but would still play a major role.

Advertisement
‘‘He was really keen to step away and become a mentor and we were keen to do the same thing,’’ Leppitsch said.

‘‘I think it’ll help him personally but more importantly it’ll help our club develop new leaders.

‘‘If Browny is always in those meetings, he’ll always be heard, he’s always dominant with a strong personality - I think it’s time the next generation came through.

‘‘We’re really conscious to use his strengths but also grow others from underneath.’’

Brown backed the new-look hierarchy under incoming coach Leppitsch which was finalised at a recent pre-season leadership camp on the Sunshine Coast.

‘‘Obviously I have relished my time as captain, but I think it’s the right time for a changing of the guard,’’ said Brown.

‘‘I’m coming towards the end of my career and I think with Leppa onboard it’s the perfect time for a fresh start.

‘‘I’ll still be there to support the boys when they need but I have every confidence in the ability of Jed, Tom and our next generation of leaders to take the club forward.’’

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/brisbane-lions/jonathan-brown-still-a-brisbane-lions-leader-justin-leppitsch-20140123-31awa.html#ixzz2rCPzXx9F

- Create thread (temp)
- Merge temp thread with Jono thread, use Jono thread name
- Delete (c)
- Delete Haso's post
- Profit

Too much effort. I just called Leppa and he's changed his mind.

Brisbane Lions veteran Jonathan Brown will be an unofficial playing coach in twilight of career

JONATHAN Brown's transition from player to coach has begun after his decision to pass the Brisbane Lions' captaincy to Jed Adcock. The club great has kick started a teaching role and says while playing remains his priority, coaching is in his blood. While not an official post, Brown will effectively be a player-coach for the rest of his career as he works with the next generation of key-position players.

"You could probably look at it like that," Brown said when asked if his coaching career had already begun. "I've got an obligation to teach the younger players and pass on some knowledge, particularly to the younger forwards." Days before the announcement that Brown had stepped aside from the Lions' co-captaincy, the triple-premiership forward could be seen at training offering tactical advice to Brisbane's younger tells. He looked more like a skills coach than a player as he pulled teammates out of drills to demonstrate how to use their upper body in marking duels. It is a job he feels comfortable with but he will not rush into a full-time coaching gig until he has taken an extended break from playing.

"I don't want to walk away from the game and not passed anything on." Former Bulldog Mitch Hahn was last year added to Brisbane's ranks as a development coach. Head coach Justin Leppitsch, who mentored full-back Daniel Merrett during his playing days at the Gabba, said it was in the club's best interests to maximise Brown's experience. "We've got a few young kids, like Jonno Freeman and Michael Close, who need to grow that part of the their game," the coach said. "Mitch Hahn takes care of (development) but you could call Browny a consultant."

Link - http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/br...ilight-of-career/story-fndv8d6r-1226810382954

JONATHAN Brown is in doubt for round one with a nagging foot injury continuing to dog the champion Brisbane Lion.

Brown has missed a significant part of the past two months of training, but could be jogging again as soon as this week.

First he had a stress reaction in his foot, and more recently a nerve problem in the same foot.

The Lions play their round one match against Hawthorn on March 22, and football manager Dean Warren admitted Brown would be racing the clock to be fit.

After initially struggling to diagnose the most recent injury – between his big toe and the one adjoining – the Lions are still hopeful Brown can progress quickly and regain fitness.

Warren said Brown would need to play at least one pre-season match to prove his fitness.

"What happens over the next two to three weeks will determine whether he'll be right for round one or not," Warren said.

"He's been in the system for a long time, he's very professional in the way he prepares himself. There's still potentially a chance that he might be right for the start of the year.

"We certainly won't be rushing him back."

Brown, 32, missed the final month of the 2013 season with a plantar fascia (foot) injury that required surgery.

He went to Arizona with his teammates in November for a high-altitude training camp, but returned with a stress reaction that required time in a moon boot.

The nerve problem is possibly a side affect of his previous injuries, although the club is not 100 per cent sure.

"If he comes along well over the next week or two, we're reasonably optimistic he might still be right for round one," Warren said.

"He's been a little frustrated with it, not specifically knowing what it was. Now we know, he's dealt with it well.

"It's not a major issue at this point. It's put him back a little bit, but not significantly."[\quote]

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-25/browns-round-one-doubt

Brown is still on light duties and confirmed he won't play in the NAB Challenge, but insisted playing in round one of the home and away season was a "genuine possibility."

"I've come off a little bit of a stress fracture in my foot, which has been disappointing, I was in pretty good nick pre-Christmas," Brown said.

"I'm back running, and running at a good pace now. I'll need things to go smoothly, but I'm confident I'll get myself up."

He remains optimistic about the year ahead, having made the decision to play on.

"I thought long and hard about it at the end of the year, but I got a pretty good medical report," he said.

"I still feel like I've got some footy left in me, it's just a matter of if I can get my body healthy.

"There's a really good feel around the joint. (We've) been through a lot of turmoil off the field, club, but it seems to me we've got more AFL support now, more resources, more coaches have come in.

“It's an exciting future for the club."

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-02-04/voss

BRISBANE spearhead Jonathan Brown is slowly but surely winning the race against the clock to be fit for Round 1.

While the club's young cubs threw themselves into yesterday's intra-club hit-out at Burpengary, Brown confidently stepped out on an adjacent oval at the new multi-million dollar AFL precinct in his comeback from a serious foot injury.

The triple premiership star has spent most of the summer in a moon boot or doing stationary drills but has steadily been increasing his running load in the past week.

The 32-year-old is still a long way from full pace but the sight of the famous no. 16 striding out at any level would warm the heart of new Lions coach Justin Leppitsch.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/br...-play-in-round-1/story-fndv8d6r-1226819963905

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the AFL website:

"FREMANTLE skipper Matthew Pavlich overcame a knee to the head to put in a strong performance on Tuesday in the Dockers' intraclub hit-out.
Pavlich was on all fours after copping an accidental knee from defender Luke McPharlin in the opening quarter.
The 291-game veteran shook off the hit to play a starring role in the second quarter, before finishing the hit-out with 2.2 to his name."

Sheesh . . . talk about deja vu all over again.

Will the way they are apparently going to umpire one on one's this year give Browny a decent chance as a ff this year? He can still best most defenders in a wrestle if all bets are off, would love it if we can open the forward line up enough to give him a chance. And if they are letting forwards hold defenders off from behind again instead of adjudicating it as hands in the back then it could provide a renaissance...

Brisbane Lions champ Jonathan Brown reveals he almost quit after serious head knocks
15 February 2014
Greg Davis

LION King Jonathan Brown is entering his 15th AFL season, boasting 573 goals and three premierships from 245 AFL games. He talks family, flags, fighters and Four’n’Twenty pie warmers.

Let's cut to the chase. Is 2014 your last season?

I honestly haven't decided. I'm just playing it year by year but there's a couple of prerequisites. You have to stay on the field and you've still got to perform to a high enough level that satisfies the club and yourself.

When you do retire, will you get into the media side of things or pursue a coaching career?
More media I reckon for a while. I'd like to take a step back from the day-to-day operations of a footy club but I've got an interest in helping younger guys out, even it's just young key forwards.

On to boxing. You were part of Vic Darchinyan entourage at a world title fight in Las Vegas while you were on your honeymoon?
It was amazing. I carried the Australian flag in. He was the first person to ever unify the division. It was an unbelievable experience. I didn't tell (wife) Kylie I was carrying the flag. She gave me a strange look when I walked past her.

But Mike Tyson brushed you recently?
We were supposed do an interview for Nova Radio but a TV reporter gut under his skin in the press conference prior and we missed out. Iron Mike wasn't happy. I introduced myself and he said “Hi Jon”, so at least he knows my name.

How has being a parent changed you? When you were a young bloke you listened to AC/DC before games but now you probably can't get the Wiggles out of your head?
I love being a Dad. We've got a third on the way too. Life slows down a little. I'm not the party boy I used to be and I can't have the boys around to the house like we used to. But I wouldn't change it for the world. You still hurt like hell after a loss but it does give you a different perspective.

I understand you are the disciplinarian in the house but I also understand that both your kids, Olivia and Jack, push the boundaries. That does make them the bravest kids in Queensland?

My little girl said to me yesterday: “Daddy, I love you very much but why do you swear so much?” I said “It's because of you darlin.” Jack is only 12 months old but he is climbing on everything. I expect him to be on the roof soon.

How is Jack shaping as a father-son recruit for Brisbane in 2031?

He'd want to toughen up. He's a Mummy's boy at the moment. At this rate, he'll be playing golf or tennis.
194640-da4bd930-9604-11e3-831f-628faee552fc.jpg

Jonathan and Kylie Brown with daughter Olivia. Picture: Adam Armstrong Source: News Limited

You have a reputation for being the toughest hombre in the AFL but what makes Jonathan Brown melt?

Sometimes you get a reputation and people get carried away with it but I'm no different to any other bloke, my family is my soft spot.

How close did you go to retiring during those series of bad head knocks?

The second one (when Brown collided with teammate Mitch Clark at the Gabba against Geelong), I went close to retirement bur it wasn't the broken bones ... you heal from that. It was the head knock. It took a long time for me to get over it, I didn't feel confident to drive for a month afterwards, let alone play footy. I questioned my footy mortality, no doubts. I made one mistake and the other two were freak accidents. People close to me told me to keep playing the way I've always played.

Does it bug you that since that great Grand Final run with the Lions, the club has played just two finals in 10 years?

Yep. Definitely. I am very uncomfortable with it because playing finals is why you play footy.

Did you play in a final against the Western Bulldogs in 2009 with a broken cheekbone?

There was a break in there. I did get it scanned but I avoided the surgeon's knife that week so I could play.

What did you make of the 131-point loss (in a pre-season game) to Hawthorn the other night?

It was a very young side that we played. The focus of our pre-season is for the senior blokes to play the last two practice matches. We won the NAB Cup last year
but it didn't help us start the season proper, did it? We have to keep a long-term perspective.

193886-342742ac-95e0-11e3-831f-628faee552fc.jpg

Jonathan Brown (foot), Brent Staker (calf) and Ash McGrath (calf) are among the more senior players in a race against time to be ready for the season opener against Hawthorn in Tasmania.

“(Brown) is coming along nicely – he’s back to all his footy movement. It’s just building his loads and intensity now. He should be available for Round One,” Strength & Conditioning Manager Matt Hass told LIONS TV as part of the Bupa Recovery Report.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-02-18/preseason-injury-update

One would think that Jonathan Brown would play this season from the goal square where he can use his size and strength to his advantage. Brown is an accurate kick from anywhere in and around the fifty-metre arc and it would be a waste for both Brown and the Lions if he is found anywhere near the forward flanks or the wings chasing kicks.

Brown can possibly have a 50-60 goal season if he stays near goal and plays as the target man. Brown will no doubt attract the best defender each week and this, in turn, opens up the forward line for his teammates.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-02-25/a-lot-to-like-about-lions

Brisbane Lions spearhead Jonathan Brown could get a chance to blow the cobwebs before Round One during the upcoming ‘Festival of Football’ at Burpengary.

Physical Performance Manager Brett Burton said he hoped to have the five-time Club leading goal-kicker ready to play by then.

“Browny’s tracking along well. We’ll hopefully give him some game time next week at Burpengary – whether that’s through the reserves or the seniors,” Burton said.

If Brown does line up in the NEAFL curtain-raiser, it would be the first time since probably his debut season that he represented the reserves side.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-02-26/brown-set-for-burpengary-

How do you even get the hairstyle he has in the first shot? "Gimme the Moe from The Three Stooges look"?

I suspect choice of hair style has never been a priority of the big fella. He probably did it himself.

I suspect choice of hair style has never been a priority of the big fella. He probably did it himself.

I like to think that he did it with a set of garden shears as well. Now he's just transitioned to a motorised hedge trimmer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back