Delisted Jonathan Freeman (2013-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Leemas

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think he has the potential to be a very good KPF. Not as good as your Cameron's, hogans and kennedys but I think he will get to the travis Cloke level. Albit a better kick on goal. Shows a lot of promise for such a young key

Leemas

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He'll never be the athletic freak that guys like Franklin, Hogan and Camerons are, but he can be that big target that makes the other defenders nervous and makes life easier for other, more athletic forwards like Schache.
I think Kurt Tippet is a very apt comparison. I think he has the ability to get to that level as well. I mean coming from so far back hes shown a hell of a lot more than boyd and in a worse team.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Kurt Tippet is a very apt comparison. I think he has the ability to get to that level as well. I mean coming from so far back hes shown a hell of a lot more than boyd and in a worse team.
I could see him ending up on someone like Drew Petrie's level. Not a superstar KPF but an above average one with the ability to do some damage and provide structure to the team.

Leemas

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I could see him ending up on someone like Drew Petrie's level. Not a superstar KPF but an above average one with the ability to do some damage and provide structure to the team.
I dunno I think Freeman has started better than petrie did. I think he could be a bit better than petrie and get to a kurt tippet level. Then again if he can get to petries level and be as durable it would be the steal of the draft.

Eons

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool
Freeman with pick 59, Andrews with 61 and Dawson with 44. No wonder they complained about the academies.

Can't wait to see what he can produce next year, hoping he can stay healthy and get around 30-40 goals for the year.

Jono Freeman Stepping It Up

The Brisbane Lions' four-day training camp in Maroochydore came to an end on Friday.

Sunshine Coast product Jonathan Freeman said the camp gave players, coaches and staff the opportunity to concentrate on building the Club's football program, outline goals and enhance relationships.

"We've probably become closer as a group", Freeman said.

"We're all on the same path not just the players but the staff, the coaching staff -across all areas of the Club we're all on the same path of where we want to get to."

Jono Freeman wants an extended run in Brisbane’s senior team in 2016

JONO Freeman has been limited to eye-catching, late-season cameos in his first two years of AFL footy.

But the Brisbane Lions forward has high hopes of an extended run in the limelight in 2016.

Back and ankle injuries restricted the 199cm, 96kg Lions Academy product to the last six games of 2015, when he booted seven goals.

He made his AFL debut in Round 20, 2014, and kicked six majors for the season, including a four-goal haul against Collingwood at the MCG in his second AFL appearance.

The Sunshine Coast junior was on fire early in Brisbane’s intraclub match at Burpengary on Friday, kicking two goals and taking several contested marks to emphatically put his hand up for senior selection.

Who's Set To Explode in 2016

Competition has heated up across the Lions' forward line over the summer with the arrival of No.2 draft pick Josh Schache and former Geelong Cat Josh Walker, but 21-year-old Jonathan Freeman is revelling in the challenge.

Freeman has struggled with early injuries across the past two seasons, but has had an uninterrupted 2016.

In his return to football last season, Freeman kicked seven goals from 6 matches.

Now in his third year at the Lions, watch for Freeman to stamp his authority on the forward line.

NAB Challenge: What We Learned

The stat sheets might not reflect it, but young Lions big man Jonathan Freeman looked close to his best in Sunday’s game against the GIANTS. It was a slippery day at Metricon Stadium but, time and time again, Freeman would find space and out-position his opponent – he simply couldn’t finish off his good work by taking the grabs.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Lions In The Hunt For Win

Former Sunshine Coast junior Jono Freeman says he is in for a breakout season ahead of the Lions' season-opener against the Eagles. A series of back and ankle complaints limited Freeman to the final six games of 2015, when he booted seven goals. He has played 10 AFL games to date after debuting in round 20, 2014, and is expected to be named in this week's Brisbane side to travel to Perth.

The past off-season was the first he had not battled major injury, although he did endure two hernia surgeries and some groin drama which resulted in a limited program at different stages. But with those injuries behind him, a fully-fit Freeman said he was ready to show his potential with a stirring 2016 season in which he hopes to return the Lions to an AFL powerhouse.

"I have had a solid pre-season of running and I think I have really grown as a player over the two years," he said. "It is a big difference to last year and I am confident I can go well." Freeman kicked six goals in seven matches at the back end of last year, including three against Carlton in his comeback game. The 198cm, 96kg forward said he was happy with how he finished 2015 considering how long he was out of the game.

"I was underdone and coming off not much training and injury, but I think I still showed what I am capable of doing," he said. "But because I was underdone I was able to start games well but not touch the footy much in the second half, which was match fitness. "I want to build on that this year and stay injury-free." Freeman's first opportunity to press his claims will likely come against the West Coast Eagles on Sunday in Perth.

He said he expected to be named in the side when it is announced later this week. "It will be a good test for us and a huge challenge in round one," he said. "Anything can happen and hopefully we can catch them off-guard and get an upset." The Lions have been the AFL's perennial strugglers for a decade, having not made the finals since 2005.

Freeman said he anticipated the Brisbane club would be a much improved outfit this season. "We want to win as many games as we can and show the AFL and our supporters that we are a club on the up," he said.

SCN_22-03-2016_BACK_PAGE_01_jono3-new_fct1025x768_ct620x465.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reserves Wrap - Aspley Hornets - 23/04/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Second week in a row Jono Freeman has played again as a key forward. He only had the 4 possessions, had a really quiet first half. Didn’t have the impact aerially. He only took the one mark on the day. Like Eric our tall forwards didn’t have the impact. They lacked the physicality and intent in that area. They got a bit of a rev-up at half time and his third quarter he started really well. We probably need to see Jono work harder up the ground to get him involved in the play rather than the last person on the line which we’ve spoken about. We’re hoping to see some improvement in Jono this week.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney Swans - 01/04/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Not in great form, Jono. Only the 4 touches, that’s three weeks in a row for Jono. He’s not impacting the scoreboard or aerial contests with his marks. He only took one for the day. I know it’s trying conditions for our big key forwards but all we’re asking is that contest – if it goes to ground, keep it in the area. We’re asking him to work a little harder at the moment, his work rate and his ability to run is not quite at the level. We’ll play him higher up the ground in the following weeks just to make sure he’s getting on his bike and having an impact more up the ground. His work rate is down at the moment and he knows it, so that will be his focus now for the next two or three weeks.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney Uni - 14/05/16 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

Good to see from Jono this week ball in hands. He had it 14 times this week for a key forward. The ability to take five or six marks, three contested – which he’s been working really hard at at training. He hit the scoreboard with four goals as well. What was really pleasing for Jono’s game was his ability to work hard – his work rate was so much higher this week. His GPS was really good with the sprint metres, his second and third efforts with his tackling and his intent for a big man in a forward half was really important for us. I thought he took a real big step forward in what he did in that area. We’re looking for him now to build on that.

Reserves Wrap - GWS - 17/07/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments?)

Again, key forward. He started OK, Jono. Took a couple of good clunks early. Dropped a couple also and then probably just faded out the second half of the game. We’ll get Jono playing higher up the ground in the next few weeks. He’s coming back from his foot injury, so a move further up will be good to get some confidence in him, get some ball in hands. As I said, he took a couple of really good marks on the weekend. We’re hoping to see a bit more of that from Jono in the coming weeks. There were a couple of really good second and third efforts at ground level which was his go. Just trying to bust a pack, pick it up and go through with it. There are some positive signs there also for Jono.

Reserves Wrap - Aspley - 30/07/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Working back into some form, Jono. He was even better this week compared to last week. He’s been focusing on his aggressive-engage-separate in and around the contest. He took 5 marks, three of them contested. He could’ve clunked a few more, we’re still working on some technical things with his marking. His work rate was a lot higher with his GPS improving again this week. He hit the scoreboard with two goals, but also his follow up and second effort as a key forward was pretty good. He worked in tandem in ruck with Westy. Unfortunately Jono got a poke in the eye late in the game so he didn’t spend the last 20 minutes of the game on the ground. This week he won’t play due to that internal bleeding in his eye. We’ll get Jono for the last game of the year.

Player Reviews: No. 31 - 35

It was a disappointing Season for Freeman, who battled injuries throughout the majority of 2016. He played in our Season opener against West Coast but was omitted the following week and managed just three more senior games for the Season. Playing in the NEAFL, Freeman’s best game was against Sydney University in Round 7, where he finished with four goals. Freeman will be looking to hit the pre-season hard and will hope to cement a position in the Lions’ forward line next year.

Coach’s notes:

Freeman missed a lot of footy this year through injury, playing four AFL games, and around eight or nine at NEAFL level. Freeman will look to get his body right and have a big pre-season and hopefully we can see big things from him in 2017.

freemanprev2016.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back