Retired #52: Jonathan Simpkin

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside mid, big body, decent tank but kicking can let him down. I reckon he's a bit like Howlett, although probably better IMO.

He's also more of an accumulator....You won't notice him, only to find he's had the pill 30-35 times.

A decent shot for goal & the best player at VFL level by so far it wasn't funny....Has an excellent defensive side to his game & is an accountable footballer.

Question marks: One paced & no jets....Good to average disposal.
Strengths: Strong bodied, defensively accountable, flexible, accumulator.

Very unlucky to be de-listed & didn't get the chances he deserved.

He should be reasonable, but I never buy the "he's been at such a strong club otherwise he would have gotten shitloads of games and been great".

Never really works like that. But he's been good in the VFL and will do a job for us.
I call it Prismall syndrome

Not just as a midfielder but a surprising good in the front half as well- both defensively and offensively. Has kicked a number of goals as a HFF when we've had a full midfield crew, and I remember a great defensive HFF game against Sydney where he absolutely shut down Malceski.

Only delisted from Hawthorn due to the need to start playing younger guys in the 20th-22th spots in the team for regeneration purposes.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/hawtho...in-after-the-final-siren-20151210-glk5je.html

Inside mid, big body, decent tank but kicking can let him down. I reckon he's a bit like Howlett, although probably better IMO.

Came in here to say exactly this... A slight upgrade on Howlett.

Has probably been a bit stiff playing in the three best sides of the past decade or so in Geelong, Sydney & Hawthorn.

I like that we've just gone with the logical picks so far in Crowley, Kelly & Simpkin (personally not a fan of Dea, though don't know a heap about him). Now for a couple of top-up bigs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drafted way back in the 2005 rookie draft Jonathan Simpkin didn't play any games for the Sydney Swans in 2006-07 and then was delisted. Spent the past 7 seasons in the VFL where he's been arguaby the most consistent VFL midfielder which is backed up by Simpkin winning the VFL Liston Trophy medal and polling a ton of votes over the years. He's the kind of player who can come in and play a role for your side. He might not be the most skilled player going around but you can count on him performing when needed.

Good luck at Essendon Joffa.

Good write up, cheers.. last question, any particular reason for his nickname "Joffa"? Cant say I particularly have a good association with it..

If he is an upgrade on howlet, what sort of possession count does he average in the vfl? Because howlet seems to average about 40 any time he has to go back there...

If he is an upgrade on howlet, what sort of possession count does he average in the vfl? Because howlet seems to average about 40 any time he has to go back there...
Simpkin averaged 27.5 disposals in 2015, and 26.2 overall. Howlett's 2 games rendered 40 disposals and 19.

Howlett is probably a touch more talented but it's more than made up for with the fact Simpkin has a good tank and Howlett can't even run out a half.

Thanks Jonathan. Any player willing to sign up, I am grateful towards. I am not expecting anything brilliant from any of our pick ups, just that hopefully they help us to be more competitive in games throughout the season, as well as give a chop out to the younger players on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back