Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
As a footballer id go Hogan, on potential Boyd.

Daniher is weird. He's just so narrow through the hips that his agility and lateral strength might not ever be there. Looks good in straight lines and on the lead. I think he'll have to be a second ruck, rather than a dedicated KPF. :confused:

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Be honest. How many times have you seen McBean play?

VFL stats are known for being no where near accurate. They've gotten the goal kickers wrong on occasion so I'm not sure how you can quote a statistic like goal assists. McBean is a nice prospect but he won't be included in these polls until he shows something at AFL level because he didn't show a lot as a junior.

Hurley's overpaid because both GWS and GC offered him a truck load of money so Essendon had to come to the party or lose him

I've gone to watch the Coburg Tigers play 6 times this year, one game where he kicked 4 goals in a half and dominated (might I add the Coburg Tigers are an absolute disgrace, so that says something).

McBean hasn't played an AFL game to show anything yet, just saying he's developing rather nicely and we'll be comparing McBean with Daniher for years to come.

Hurley's overpaid because your supporter base can be a poison. The overkill of his abilities got to his head and his manager capitalised on his hype. Keep it on the low down next time, if you're going to shout from the rooftops someone is amazing, guess what? Your rivals aren't going to applaud you, they'll find a way to rape you up the bunghole. Should have just lost him honestly.

Joe Daniher has better AFL first year possession and mark stats than the following list of players:

Lance Franklin
Jarryd Roughead
Nick Riewoldt
Jack Riewoldt
Jeremy Cameron
Travis Cloke
Josh Kennedy
Drew Petrie
Matthey Pavlich
Jonathon Brown
Tom Hawkins
Kurt Tippet

I'm sure Rhys Palmer had a better first year than most of these players:

Scott Pendlebury
Dane Swan
Kieren Jack
Ryan Griffen
Gary Ablett
Nathan Fyfe
Patrick Dangerfield
Trent Cotchin

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Hurley's overpaid because your supporter base can be a poison. The overkill of his abilities got to his head and his manager capitalised on his hype. Keep it on the low down next time, if you're going to shout from the rooftops someone is amazing, guess what? Your rivals aren't going to applaud you, they'll find a way to rape you up the bunghole. Should have just lost him honestly.

This point is bullshit and hypocritical. Hurley was pumped up by the whole AFL community not just Essendon supporters and every thread about Patton/Boyd/Daniher is filled with Richmond supporters like yourselves talking up McBean who fell to pick 36 for a reason.

As a footballer id go Hogan, on potential Boyd.

Daniher is weird. He's just so narrow through the hips that his agility and lateral strength might not ever be there. Looks good in straight lines and on the lead. I think he'll have to be a second ruck, rather than a dedicated KPF. :confused:

What do narrow hips have to do with agility? Buddy has narrow hips and is one of if not the most agile key forward in the AFL.

Bomberblitzer

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2013
The Boiler Room
AFL Club
Essendon
What happened with him tho? Why'd he play so few games? I remember when he finally debuted he play 2/3 in a row and then vanished for weeks
Had some niggles and TRB decided to give Gumby a go for a few weeks. Then Hurley, Ryder and TBell all came into the side at once, which pushed him out.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Liam McBean out performed Joe Danniher in the VFL.

McBean kicked 37 goals in 14 games and gained 10kgs in one year, 202cms tall.

Watch this space...

Funny that, Daniher out performed McBean at AFL level:p

When McBean learns how to mark a footy we will talk.

Hogan
15 games
63 marks
36 contested marks

Daniher
12 games
85 marks
35 contested marks

Mcbean
14 games
59 marks
14 contested

clearly anyone who watched the VFL games this season could see Daniher and Hogan often being doubled and tripled teamed.
hence why Daniher and Hogan had to take so many contested marks.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Joe Daniher has better AFL first year possession and mark stats than the following list of players:

Lance Franklin 20
Jarryd Roughead 16
Nick Riewoldt 6
Jack Riewoldt 8
Jeremy Cameron 16
Travis Cloke 15
Josh Kennedy 9
Drew Petrie 9
Matthey Pavlich 18
Jonathon Brown 13
Tom Hawkins 9
Kurt Tippet 19 (well, didn't play in his real first year)

I can't be bothered looking it up. How many games did they play year 1. That certainly be a factor as young players can fade easily in year 1.
Here you go. But generally first years don't mean much for key forwards..

Bennett.

Your training, Matrix
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2018 Essendon Player Sponsor 2017 Essendon Player Sponsor 2016 Essendon Player Sponsor 2014 Essendon Player Sponsor 2015
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Maple Leafs, Blue Jays
Personally, I just love the way they all go about it.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Jeremy Cameron would be the clear no.1 of any young key forward.

Who would I take of this group? Nothing in it. Such an even group. You could argue these young fellas in any order.

1. Thomas Boyd (By process of elimination has the least questionmarks and as such is my no.1 by default)
2. Jesse Hogan (Ready to go and will have the most immediate impact of the group. Only rate him beyond Boyd due to below average set shot goalkicking and being smaller)
3. Jonathon Patton (Coming off an ACL. Would be higher if not for this)
4. Joe Daniher (Lowest only due to poor set shot goalkicking)

You'd happily build with any of these though. If things go right they can all be franchise key forward you can build around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

brisbane13

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Jeremy Cameron would be the clear no.1 of any young key forward.

Who would I take of this group? Nothing in it. Such an even group. You could argue these young fellas in any order.

1. Thomas Boyd (By process of elimination has the least questionmarks and as such is my no.1 by default)
2. Jesse Hogan (Ready to go and will have the most immediate impact of the group. Only rate him beyond Boyd due to below average set shot goalkicking and being smaller)
3. Jonathon Patton (Coming off an ACL. Would be higher if not for this)
4. Joe Daniher (Lowest only due to poor set shot goalkicking)

You'd happily build with any of these though. If things go right they can all be franchise key forward you can build around.
Daniher needs to go to the GYM, but could be anything

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel

Lance Franklin
Jarryd Roughead
Nick Riewoldt

Riewoldt kicked one less goal too................ playing CHB

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Daniher and Boyd won't be elite forwards, too tall.

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne

Lance Franklin
Jarryd Roughead
Nick Riewoldt
Jack Riewoldt
Jeremy Cameron
Travis Cloke
Josh Kennedy
Drew Petrie
Matthey Pavlich
Jonathon Brown
Tom Hawkins
Kurt Tippet
Did you go to the W33 school for defending over rated scrawny KPF??

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Just a theory I have, time will tell I guess.

Salmon went all right. I think he even made Hawks team of the century after just a couple of seasons, so they must have factored in his career at Essendon.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Salmon went all right. I think he even made Hawks team of the century after just a couple of seasons, so they must have factored in his career at Essendon.

So 30 years since there's been an elite forward over 196cm ?

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Pratt 180cm
Coleman 185cm
Hudson 188cm
Modra 188cm
Lockett 191cm
Carey 192cm
Lloyd 192cm
Tredrea 194cm
Richardson 197cm
Brown 194cm
Cloke 196cm
Franklin 196cm
Kennedy 196cm
Tom Hawkins 197cm

Patton 197cm
Hogan 195cm
Boyd 199cm
Daniher 201cm

Seems like every position players are just getting taller and taller, hell Jobe Watson would have been a ruck in Pratts days, Kpp in the late 80s early 90s, now just a midfielder.

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
He came in as a scrawny 83k 202cm ruck prospect. His work ethic is brilliant, he weighs in at 95kgs after one year and dominated at VFL level.

Kicked more goals, took more marks, had more goal assists than Joe Danniher and he is at the same age as Joe, so to me, McBean (who was when first drafted called McBeanPole) will be the player that people are expecting Danniher will be.
Nice stats. I guess McBean would beat Daniher in most total statistical areas, considering he played an extra two VFL games and all... because Daniher actually played AFL football this season.

I don't know where you got your stats but according to SportingPulse, Daniher blew McBean out of the water with 85 total marks (seven per game) to 59 (four per game). But yes, those extra 0.2 goals per game that McBean kicks shows he deserves to rated as good or better than one of the best kids to come through the TAC Cup system.

Speaking of overrated, a 2nd rounder for Shaun Hampson...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back