Retired Clinton Jones

Code:
Pos Number Player       Age    Games    Price          2009            2008            2007       
                        DT      SC       Played DT Avg    SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg
MID  4 JONES, Clinton    26    50    $323,700 $409,500 24    72.7    77.0    20    72.6    76.6    6    43.5    43.5

Zagg

Club Legend
St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013 St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Jul 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Norwich City

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Clinton Jones limited Melbourne creative defender Aaron Davey to 7 possessions in the first half whilst having 14 possessions himself in the Round 14 Sunday twilight match against Melbourne at Etihad Stadium. In the second half Jones was used in a more attacking role in the midfield and Sean Dempster performed the shut-down role on.....

Read More: http://truesainters.wordpress.com/2010/07/09/elite-tagger-clinton-jones/

Has now become a vital linkup midfielder.

Not too many games under his belt for his age as he was picked up as a rookie. I think he's been doing very well for his limited experience at the top level.

Hopefully comes out firing with the rest.

Clinton Jones #4

A funny old season was 2012 for CJ.

Married during the off-season, things started brightly enough - with coaches votes in round 3 and 7 (negating Ryan Griffen and Marc Murphy respectively, whilst getting 24 possessions against the Dogs and 16 possessions and a goal assist against Carlton).

He played his 100th game for the Saints in the round 3 match.

CJ ranked the highest for tackles (averaging 6.2), but was down in 1%'ers (18th).

8th in disposals (18.1), but 25th in kicks (6.8).

He ended the season in the VFL for the final 4 games, and was in the best twice.

This allowed some of the younger brigade (including Tom Ledger) to get some more AFL game time, although the club has also taken a more attacking mode with team selections - as outlined in this article in July (following a 71 point win over Essendon):

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/footy-looks-to-shake-the-tag-20120709-21rs6.html

St Kilda had to deal with Bomber Jobe Watson, among the top handful of extractors in the competition. He also had an issue with Brent Stanton, whose running capacity generally demands a hard tag. Clint Jones, started on the bench and then came on without following an opponent. Watters sent Nick Dal Santo to Watson and Leigh Montagna to Stanton. While neither Saint is known for his defensive game, the coach had issued a challenge. It was good player versus good player. Dal Santo's 27 disposals (12 contested, 74 per cent efficiency, game-high six clearances) stacked up with Watson's 23 disposals (70 per cent efficiency, five clearances). Montagna also held up (20 disposals, four clearances to Stanton's 22 and two). Neither Bomber had a big influence.

http://www.footballnation.com.au/afl/afl-clubs/saints-jones-could-be-shopped-around/

“Hopefully I’ll have a good off-season break and good pre-season and get back into it hopefully…I think I’ve got a lot to offer.” Jones said Watters had told him to work harder after being consigned to the VFL. “He said to basically go back and work hard. I’ve never been able to do that I suppose, I had a good game today. It’s pretty hard to take going back to the VFL but that’s the way it is I suppose.”

AFL+Rd+7+St+Kilda+v+Carlton+ZITHC5PUrnDl.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-21/i-want-to-lead-jones?utm_medium=RSS

"From a training point of view and a work rate point of view, I think I've got a lot to offer the club with the young guys coming through,"

"Physically my body is in pretty good shape and I love playing footy.

"With the young group we've got, and potentially with a few senior guys retiring, it's a good opportunity to maybe step up and have a stronger leadership role.

"You do need role models and you do need leaders around the club."

"I've been pretty fortunate, I haven't had any significant injuries and the last couple of years I haven't really missed a session,"

"This year was one of the strongest pre-seasons I've had to be honest, so it was good to come into the year feeling fit and fresh."

"From a training point of view and a work rate point of view, I think I've got a lot to offer the club with the young guys coming through,"

So i've been thinking about CJ and where he fits in our team next season.

I have always had strong love/hate feelings towards Jones.

You watch a bloke that works himself into the ground every week and gives it every ounce he's got at every opportunity and you can't help but admire it. Then you watch the same bloke throw the ball on his left boot and watch it set sail towards the boundary/opposition/ground and you get so frustrated.

At times I want to throttle him. How can an AFL player have such poor disposal? Especially one that could be scoring 30 possessions if "let off the leash." But then I remember we should be blaming his junior coaches. His technique, it seems, has never changed.

I believe this will be Jonesy's last season at AFL level and I predict he will play 10/22 games.

With so many young players crying out for AFL experience, I don't think CJ will be able to cement a spot in the 22 each week. Particularly given the value of playing young players in defensive run with roles (think of what Curren would have learnt in just a few games late in this season). CJ and Farren Ray are the older rotations through the midfield that won't be walk up starts and both can play underrated roles and make important contributions. I would have Ray ahead of CJ this season and I think that Ray will end up playing most weeks.

This doesn't mean CJ's form will be any worse. His year (i've predicted his last) will be extremely valuable. The benchmark that he sets in terms of work rate and effort will be important. Young players can watch somebody getting the absolute most out of themselves (if someone who kicks like that can make such important contributions, imagine that heart in an elite body). The quote above sums up his role next season. And every season that he has played. He knows where he sits.

He will get opportunities. We don't need to gift young players games for the sake of it. it is good for young players to step back to VFL, work on weaknesses, gain confidence and earn their spot back. CJ will still play games. He will give a chop out for tired youngsters. He will set the example on the field, particularly defensively.

His output may be reduced in terms of games played. His kicking won't suddenly improve. But he will still be an important part of this saints team through sheer will.

We as supporters are quick to be critical. But when CJ goes you can't help but applaud a bloke who has given absolutely everything he has.

Superduperouzel

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
Germany
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St.Pauli FC, Hibernian FC
For all his deficiencies in the skill department, Clint Jones gave it a real crack.
A good servant for the club and at one time the best tagger in the game.
I liked him, never set the world on fire just the odd dwarf here and there.

Back