Jones signs on until 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Has carried this club for years, more than deserves whatever money their paying him and more.
If he wants to play on for 300 then let him, the bloke is too professional to let himself become a liability and would become a Cross like soldier

Its the perfect storm unfolding here. JG has relinquished the captaincy, jones has committed to another four. We have recruited dash and intuity into every line. Its all down to hogan taking his place on the park, and then we will be a force!

Garland and Jamar are our only free agents

Gawn, Howe, Kennedy-Harris, Salem, Toumpas, Pederson and Trengove are also out contract.

Reckon we can go after Dangerfield and Jeremy Cameron

Don't want to derail the great bald man's thread, but reckon out of this lot Howie will leave us at the end of 2015. Just a hunch coupled with the expectation that we will lose at least one player we want to keep each year.

Anyway I don't care cos we have the Jones boy!!

Yes , that would be a great move to add the second Jones.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rom-sydney-swans/story-fni5f91a-1227161067816
The last couple of years as shown Melb has really tightened up its targets and its recruiting. What he would he cost I guess. I suspect he may cost your early R2 , a bit of discount on Sydney's p15 but they have that much talent , unless young Zac pushes into the best 22 he will lose a bit of value, it would be a very , very good get.

Don't want to derail the great bald man's thread, but reckon out of this lot Howie will leave us at the end of 2015. Just a hunch coupled with the expectation that we will lose at least one player we want to keep each year.

Not too fussed with Howe, he is not a crucial player - either from a structural standpoint or from a quality standpoint. He was good for providing the occasional highlight during the dark days, however if he wants to leave when it looks like the pieces are in place then so be it.

Anyway I don't care cos we have the Jones boy!!

GWS offered pick 6 for him this year very late in the trade period. With him being under contract he would of had to agree to the trade and we would of had to being willing to give him up. Long story short Howe isn't going anywhere.

PS i would like to see him back in the forward line.

The best news all year that Jones has committed to another 4 years, he deserved all the cash we can afford him! #4moreyears

With any luck we'll have a good development year in the midfield.

Its actually important that the captain is one of your best players and one of the highest paid.

GWS offered pick 6 for him this year very late in the trade period. With him being under contract he would of had to agree to the trade and we would of had to being willing to give him up. Long story short Howe isn't going anywhere.

Yeah I can't see him leaving. Just his extreme blokey/larrikin nature makes me think that he's the extremely loyal type. Especially given that we drafted him from relative obscurity.

Even if does leave though hopefully it's to GWS so that we can pinch their first rounder.

The best news all year that Jones has committed to another 4 years, he deserved all the cash we can afford him! #4moreyears
On draft night the GWS recruitment guy was asked in a pre-draft interview if they offered pick 6 for Howe and he was very adamant that it was a completely false rumour. He pretty much laughed at it. He appeared to be telling the truth.

What is your source on that? I cannot fathom gws offering pick 6, it makes no sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't buy into article much unless your reading about nathan jones signing on. Other than that it just buys into the fan fare that having zak jones playing with his brother would be fantastic. Yes it would be awesome any melbourne fan would be excited to hear that, but it doesn't really seem a reliable source, it just taps into our fantasy to excite us.

What is your source on that? I cannot fathom gws offering pick 6, it makes no sense.

Not sure about Howe , but 6 was on the table ...they offered that for StevieJ so GWS was wanting some play now talent , I think that have had enough of this long term powerhouse stuff , they need to start winning to keep some of the talent they have.

What a win for the club app this was, I installed it expecting to get bollocks notifications about new hats being on sale at the club store so when this one came up it was genuinely surprising good news.

What a man. The Kickstarter campaign to sculpt the Jones/Flower LOYALTY statue will begin in mid-2019.

We are always quick to point out how little some of our players have developed.

Jones, it has to be said, does not fall into that category. Always had the grunt and work ethic, but his foot skills and decision-making have come on remarkably.

Could very well go on to captain the club another 80-100 times. Throw in his 3 B&Fs (with no obvious clear competition in 2015 either), and he's going to retire one very decorated Demon.

We are always quick to point out how little some of our players have developed.

Jones, it has to be said, does not fall into that category. Always had the grunt and work ethic, but his foot skills and decision-making have come on remarkably.

Could very well go on to captain the club another 80-100 times. Throw in his 3 B&Fs (with no obvious clear competition in 2015 either), and he's going to retire one very decorated Demon.
Tyson is the B&F favourite in 2015 for mine. Injury free pre-season and set to explode.

Tyson is the B&F favourite in 2015 for mine. Injury free pre-season and set to explode.
As much as I rate Jones (which is a lot), I agree with you. I'm backing Tyson in my Supercoach side if he stays injury free this pre-season. Every highlights video I see of Melbourne in 2014, Tyson is in every bloody play, whether it be just a handball or him kicking a goal from 60. I too think he will win the B&F.

I guess the only question I have is if he will be able to handle being tagged, he struggled in a few games he was heavily tagged in last year.

Can only see a handful of players with the potential to win, and maybe only 5 who realistically, can win it.

Jones, Tyson, Vince, Lumumba and Dunn are the 5 who can win it. McDonald, Jetta, Watts, Howe and Viney would be in the next bracket.

As much as I love Jones, I would love to see someone else win it. I really want to see Watts and Viney in the top 5. I want to see Grimes start proving people wrong too. It's a big year for the ex skipper. It's time for players like Gawn and Garland to start delivering as well. Toumpas could be the surprise of the year for mine. If he gets through a full pre season unscathed, and gets his chance early, he has the potential to have a real break out year.

There are just so many if's with this team. All players need to start delivering on a consistent level. I think most agree, we only have a handful of dead wood left on the list, so there are no more excuses over the next couple of seasons with a proven development team and a world class coach in place.

Reckon Tyson will get more brownlow votes but jones wins the bnf

Jones is just too consistent
A fitter Tyson will be more consistent than he was last year though, and I reckon he improved in dealing with a tag drastically in the second half of the season. Definitely chucking a sneaky few dollars on him for the Brownlow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back