JONORAWK fan club and appreciation wagon

Remove this Banner Ad

If that means O'Rourke will star in a premiership, but his career will be wrecked by injuries, I can take it.

But I hope he does avoid injuries!

He'll play for West Coast?
Well he's already suffered for years with injury and moved interstate so there's only one thing left for him to do...

Have posted on Box Hil board as well. This question may have been asked a few times. Can someone explain why O'Rourke can't break into the 1st's. Attitude, skill...we have no' 2 draft pick running around in the seconds..I would have thought thoroughbreds are there for a reason.

This question may have been asked a few times. Can someone explain why O'Rourke can't break into the 1st's. Attitude, skill...we have no' 2 draft pick running around in the seconds..I would have thought thoroughbreds are there for a reason.
It's just a number.

O'Rourke was 2, Poppy was 66...

Once they're in the squad, the draft number doesn't matter, and it's not a reason to play someone in the firsts.

Have posted on Box Hil board as well. This question may have been asked a few times. Can someone explain why O'Rourke can't break into the 1st's. Attitude, skill...we have no' 2 draft pick running around in the seconds..I would have thought thoroughbreds are there for a reason.
Personally at the start of the year I thought he would play 5-10 games, learn how we play,etc.
He is seen as a midfield replacement for our next wave as Hodge,Mitchell,Burgoyne retire.
He was played as an outside player only at GWS but likes to do both, he had a lot of soft tissue injuries also at GWS, due to these factors he didn't play a lot.
So far he stayed fit all year and been in the best a bit at BH, if we had have won the close ones we may have had the luxury of flirting with our line up a bit more.
Was also a surprise number 2 pick and thought by some to be more so around top ten.

If he gives us something this year it will be great, but more interested over the next 2-3 years.

Orourke is super talented however his past two years have been greatly hampered by injuries. He came to hawthorn little more developed than when he was drafted so some of the boxes he needs to tick in order to make our best 22 are as follows:
1. Build up core strength and fitness in order to compete physically at afl level.
2. Learn how to play the hawthorn game plan.
3. Learn his own game/role so that when he does get a game in the seniors he is ready to play his part.
4. Develop afl standard decision making and execution of skills under pressure.

This year is all about development. This doesn't mean he won't play in the seniors but it just isn't the focus of his season. Has the talent and his recent form at box hill is improving all the time. Like always form is critical but given the strength of our list is such that he may need to wait for a player in the seniors to be dropped or get injured before he gets his chance. Suckling is the player he is most likely to replace on a hff.

Orourke is super talented however his past two years have been greatly hampered by injuries. He came to hawthorn little more developed than when he was drafted so some of the boxes he needs to tick in order to make our best 22 are as follows:
1. Build up core strength and fitness in order to compete physically at afl level.
2. Learn how to play the hawthorn game plan.
3. Learn his own game/role so that when he does get a game in the seniors he is ready to play his part.
4. Develop afl standard decision making and execution of skills under pressure.

This year is all about development. This doesn't mean he won't play in the seniors but it just isn't the focus of his season. Has the talent and his recent form at box hill is improving all the time. Like always form is critical but given the strength of our list is such that he may need to wait for a player in the seniors to be dropped or get injured before he gets his chance. Suckling is the player he is most likely to replace on a hff.

Cheers for the write up!

Personally at the start of the year I thought he would play 5-10 games, learn how we play,etc.
He is seen as a midfield replacement for our next wave as Hodge,Mitchell,Burgoyne retire.
He was played as an outside player only at GWS but likes to do both, he had a lot of soft tissue injuries also at GWS, due to these factors he didn't play a lot.
So far he stayed fit all year and been in the best a bit at BH, if we had have won the close ones we may have had the luxury of flirting with our line up a bit more.
Was also a surprise number 2 pick and thought by some to be more so around top ten.

If he gives us something this year it will be great, but more interested over the next 2-3 years.

..yes..we haven't the luxury of experimenting unfortunately. I hope he gets another run at some point..

I think he'll eventually force his way into the side, if not this year then next. If he wants to push for this year, well it's certainly within his sights. I'm sort of hoping he has the hunger to really go for it this year and not wait.

I think he'll eventually force his way into the side, if not this year then next. If he wants to push for this year, well it's certainly within his sights. I'm sort of hoping he has the hunger to really go for it this year and not wait.
A few too many comfortable players in the seniors. A few people dropped might correct the attitude.

A few too many comfortable players in the seniors. A few people dropped might correct the attitude.

Agree, but JOR still needs to show he knows the game plan and can make a difference rather than just make up the numbers when he gets his opportunity. That said, I can see both he and Jedi shaking up the seniors in the next few weeks if our indifferent season continues. I'm of the hope they can see the opportunity in front of them and really start pressing hard (although I think JOR has already started doing this).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All for this but Clarko has shown to be a bit of a toothless tiger when it comes to doing this. Suckling was dropped to "work on his kicking at Box Hill for a few weeks" but hasn't missed an AFL game or lined up at Box Hill since that dropping and no further mention of it despite his kicking still needing some work. And with the excellent state of the injury list at the moment it's going to be hard for even the established players to get games in the side.

All for this but Clarko has shown to be a bit of a toothless tiger when it comes to doing this. Suckling was dropped to "work on his kicking at Box Hill for a few weeks" but hasn't missed an AFL game or lined up at Box Hill since that dropping and no further mention of it despite his kicking still needing some work. And with the excellent state of the injury list at the moment it's going to be hard for even the established players to get games in the side.
You are right but lose another game and he will be forced to make player find form in the VFL.

I expect to see him make a couple of appearances in the second half of the year. Has really stepped up in the last few weeks at box hill so if he can keep building on that he will force someone out

Now that's what I like. I know we don't like to omit players, but if someone were forced out, then wouldn't that mean we get stronger.
Love to see O'Rouke and Jed force their way intothe seniors. Langers has that job in front of him at the present.

He is developing his game nicely at BH. He has not been a flash in the pan for any game, really building the whole season nicely and has gotten better each game.

I think the thing that differentiates him to all our other up and coming mids is that he kicks goals. He knows how to be dangerous in the forward 50. I've said it for years, we don't get enough goals from our midfielders, but JOR will change this.

Seems an ideal sub candidate to me. Can play inside, outside, off a flank and is handy around the big sticks. Whilst Simpkin was our standout sub in '13 we didn't have one that stood out last season, right up to gf day.
It's bloody hard to break into this hawks side but versatility is surely close to the number 1 criteria for a substitute and Jono has it in spades.

JOR fascinating. Right now he looks like he's a solid 7 out of 10 as an inside player, but he seems like a second receiver type on the inside, which makes he's inside play little less important. JL and Langers first touch inside players around the contest important to JORs role. On the outside however he seems like more a 6, but that's a great start. From memory he was one of the best performed in the beep test in he's year, so he has a tank.
Perhaps the club is trying to hone he's skills as a first touch player on the inside, or get him to be effective (without being a star) on both the inside and outside. Part of that will be whether he's seen to take over Mitchell's role (another first touch mid on the inside), or hodgey and burgs who offer amazingly first and second touch roles on the inside, outside abilities, and goal scoring options. With 2 of those roles to be lost in future years with retirement of LH and SB, im tipping he's been educated and groomed for the latter.

JOR fascinating. Right now he looks like he's a solid 7 out of 10 as an inside player, but he seems like a second receiver type on the inside, which makes he's inside play little less important. JL and Langers first touch inside players around the contest important to JORs role. On the outside however he seems like more a 6, but that's a great start. From memory he was one of the best performed in the beep test in he's year, so he has a tank.
Perhaps the club is trying to hone he's skills as a first touch player on the inside, or get him to be effective (without being a star) on both the inside and outside. Part of that will be whether he's seen to take over Mitchell's role (another first touch mid on the inside), or hodgey and burgs who offer amazingly first and second touch roles on the inside, outside abilities, and goal scoring options. With 2 of those roles to be lost in future years with retirement of LH and SB, im tipping he's been educated and groomed for the latter.

For me, when I look at Jono, I think Lewis.
Mitch gets the first touch (Hey presto, so does Woody) Lewis gets the second touch (as does Jono) and can spread outside of the contest.
For me thats the next phase of Hawthorns midfield with Jed to take on Hodges tough yet polished style.
Maybe Howe can take over from Silk?

He is developing his game nicely at BH. He has not been a flash in the pan for any game, really building the whole season nicely and has gotten better each game.

I think the thing that differentiates him to all our other up and coming mids is that he kicks goals. He knows how to be dangerous in the forward 50. I've said it for years, we don't get enough goals from our midfielders, but JOR will change this.
Jed seems to have kicked a few most weeks. People compare him to Hodge (as I have) but he's probably more of that Burgoyne role. Get those 15-20 touches across different positions, tackle hard, win a few clearances, kick a couple goals and then in a critical moment do something that gets every person to their feet applauding (eg. JPK tackle and goal in 2013 QF).

For me, when I look at Jono, I think Lewis.
Mitch gets the first touch (Hey presto, so does Woody) Lewis gets the second touch (as does Jono) and can spread outside of the contest.
For me thats the next phase of Hawthorns midfield with Jed to take on Hodges tough yet polished style.
Maybe Howe can take over from Silk?
Yes similar to Lewy agree. Personally watching JL from 09-13 trying to play an outside role was infuriating, knowing he always has had the ability to be an A grade elite inside mid (like now). Clarko can be so stubborn.
Regardless if JOR can get to within 10pc of JLs inside ability, but 10pc over he's outside ability we have a star.
He's kicking is elite, he's very quick out of traffic and he's decision making will grow. So much upside.
Mitch, langers, lewy, and to lesser extend rough, Cyril and pop, seem to have the license for the first grab, with Bruest, hodge, birch, burgs,suckling, with cleaner disposal, then deliver from there.
Jed is a bull, can play both roles on the inside, but right now i can't see him any more than a defensive forward. Dont know whether its he's tank or not, but he finds it hard to accumulate. If he can, that's a big if, then we have a star. Howe holds promise agree.
No doubt all players outside our 22 right now are being groomed for certain positions/roles that will be available soon. Sometimes it means frustration when we know they are good enough for AfL, but if they can't play the role needed they won't get a game. Tough thing for Woody is Mitch hardly misses a match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back