Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There are some ordinary posters on this site.

Teenager in his 8th match and he gets 18 disposals, 5 tackles and a goal (almost two) against Hawthorn. Then they can't see any signs for being elite.

:drunk:
Hang on champ. Obviously he will be very good, but the calls of best player drafted since Pendlebury are probably a little premature.

Compare him to first year players from other clubs and it's not like he's head and shoulders above.

Teenager in his 8th match and he gets 18 disposals, 5 tackles and a goal (almost two) against Hawthorn. Then they can't see any signs for being elite.

Here we go again. Someone telling another poster they are a crap poster or supporter because they don't think a player will be as good as you do. Happens all the time and its really annoying on a discussion forum.

Here we go again. Someone telling another poster they are a crap poster or supporter because they don't think a player will be as good as you do. Happens all the time and its really annoying on a discussion forum.

Stats don't lie. Those are good numbers for a teenager against a quality side like Hawks.

Yeah you could see some of his talent in that Hawthorn match, he is going to be something special. Like the fact that Bucks is developing him in the seniors, he does not look out of his depth at all.

Stats don't lie. Those are good numbers for a teenager against a quality side like Hawks.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion on De Goey. I have stated I think he is our best prospect with Grundy. (Haven't seen enough of Moore yet)

Just discuss the issue without pretending you are better because you have a different opinion on a player. Seems like so many on here call others ordinary posters when they disagree with their opinions on players.

And stats don't mean a long career. There are plenty of players like Mcgough who shot out of the blocks to soon disappear. I'm not saying De Goey is the next McGough stats don't mean a lot when projecting long term ability.

Jaxon Barham got 27 disposals and a goal on debut.
Martin Clarke got 21 disposals on debut against Sydney, and then 23 disposals and three goals the next week against Hawthorn.
Mark McGough won an Anzac Day medal in his second AFL game.

Plenty of players come in and get mid / high teens in possessions in their first year - most don't turn elite.

Reliable lead indicators for being elite don't happen in the first year, they happen after 2-3 and carry with them a proven trajectory at AFL level and consistency.

And by the way, not many people are disputing that JDG projects as being a solid AFL player, but most haven't seen enough to acclaim him 'elite'. Maybe a definition of elite thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jaxon Barham got 27 disposals and a goal on debut.
Martin Clarke got 21 disposals on debut against Sydney, and then 23 disposals and three goals the next week against Hawthorn.
Mark McGough won an Anzac Day medal in his second AFL game.

Plenty of players come in and get mid / high teens in possessions in their first year - most don't turn elite.

Reliable lead indicators for being elite don't happen in the first year, they happen after 2-3 and carry with them a proven trajectory at AFL level and consistency.

And by the way, not many people are disputing that JDG projects as being a solid AFL player, but most haven't seen enough to acclaim him 'elite'. Maybe a definition of elite thing.

All of those had horrendous deficiencies in their games.
Barham would be working in a butcher shop after his AFL Career
Clarke would be good at testing the softness of pillows and bedding
McGough would be an excellent engineer for slow moving transport.

Name the biggest issue with JDG's game?

Wonky kick under a hint of pressure.

As a contested mid? That's madness.

Lets get rid of Cloke also........
You asked I answered.

And by the way he turns the ball on a consistent basis in all parts of the ground, not just the guts.
To offset this his hands in close are quite good, reasonable mark, hard worker that loves a tackle and is a good set shot.
The way I see it all he's done to date is shown he won't be a draft bust and will be a decent player but I'm yet to see him justify pick 5 and a potential star tag.

You asked I answered.

And by the way he turns the ball on a consistent basis in all parts of the ground, not just the guts.
To offset this his hands in close are quite good, reasonable mark, hard worker that loves a tackle and is a good set shot.
The way I see it all he's done to date is shown he won't be a draft bust and will be a decent player but I'm yet to see him justify pick 5 and a potential star tag.

Fair call. However not every player is going to be elite , I think he is going to be more than serviceable.

Taylor Adams was woeful last year in decision making. This year he is miles ahead of where he was in 2014, there is still glimpses however.

My point being , De Goeys deficiencies are workable. Has guts,courage and aggression at the contest. Knows where to find the pill. Those errors of his kicking/decision making im pretty confident will be ironed out.

Okay, but I don't want to be percieved as being negative about a teenager, because I see him as being a lock for being a solid player for us for a long time.

But you asked for an appraisal of his characteristics, so here goes. He doesn't have much pace, don't think he has exceptional endurance, doesn't have a history of getting a truckload of possessions, and is only an average to good kick. Again, for the record, I am optimistic he will get to Scott Burns level for us, but that obviously isn't elite in the competition.

Okay, but I don't want to be percieved as being negative about a teenager, because I see him as being a lock for being a solid player for us for a long time.

But you asked for an appraisal of his characteristics, so here goes. He doesn't have much pace, don't think he has exceptional endurance, doesn't have a history of getting a truckload of possessions, and is only an average to good kick. Again, for the record, I am optimistic he will get to Scott Burns level for us, but that obviously isn't elite in the competition.

Not many get to the elite level if you are classing Ablett, Pendles , Fyfe and Buddy as elite

If you break JDG's game down into this stat or that stat, add dropped marks and poor kicks, etc, then its not that impressive. And a lot of the errors can be attributed to youth and inexperience.

But the kid can play footy. He he gets himself into the right places, he is hard and fearless, he has a presence. I like what I am seeing and he should not be the sub again. He is already best 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back