Delisted Jordon Bourke (2012-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit like Nick Riewoldt to me. About the same height and they both play even taller because of their reach. Needs obviously to put on some weight but don't think he'll ever be massive. Unlike Close who could be a hulk.

Yeah he probably won't ever be as big as Bradshaw but with his athleticism he can still hold down a key post. Looks like he's got long arms as well which helps.

I wrote his height not his weight. Bradshaw was not a massive unit when first recruited and is the same height as Lester. Body shapes can change over time.

Being nitpicky but not exactly. Some people have broader shoulder, thicker hips, etc. than others. Compare Voss to Luke Power; similar heights but one was a lot bigger than the other. Or Dustin Fletcher and Jamie Charman; similar heights but completely different builds.

Bourke is big enough to play KPP but I don't think he'll ever be as "built" as Bradshaw.

Being nitpicky but not exactly. Some people have broader shoulder, thicker hips, etc. than others. Compare Voss to Luke Power; similar heights but one was a lot bigger than the other. Or Dustin Fletcher and Jamie Charman; similar heights but completely different builds.

Bourke is big enough to play KPP but I don't think he'll ever be as "built" as Bradshaw.
Yes obviously.

As I was saying however he is taller and has the capacity to improve his size.

Remember now why I don't post much.

jbourke22

A_-9hc7CYAA8nzg.jpg:large

Met Travis Dempsey after a presentation #AFLPAIC @sammayes7 @mclose #livingend #rockstars #bosshuntinglife

Life lessons for young Lions
January 9, 2013
Sam Lord

The Brisbane Lions’ five first year players – Sam Mayes, Marco Paparone, Michael Close, Nick Hayes, and Jordon Bourke – headed to Melbourne on Monday to take part in the annual AFL Players’ Association Induction Camp at Etihad Stadium.

The two-day program included a number of eye-opening sessions designed to better prepare the latest crop of draftees for their journey as an AFL player.

Jordon Bourke
“It’s definitely very interesting. There were a few past players in there talking about their on-field and off-field experiences, including dealing with injuries, so you get more than one perspective. You get given the worst case scenario with the best case scenario."

The rookie race
March 6, 2013
Sam Lord

The Brisbane Lions made the conscious decision late last year to pass on their Pre-Season Draft selection and instead fill that vacant senior position with a nominated rookie upgrade before the start of the season.

And with just two weeks until the nomination deadline, competition is starting to heat up among the seven rookie-listed Lions to see who will be officially elevated to the senior list on Tuesday 19 March.

Meanwhile, fellow rookies Richard Newell, Nicholas Hayes, Jordon Bourke are still relatively ‘green’ in their AFL development and might require more time in the NEAFL before staking their claim for senior selection.

NEAFL Round 2 review - Lions reserves v Morningside
Sam Canavan

Harding acknowledged Lisle’s input, but singled out Brisbane’s defence as key to the win. “The backline all played really well, which in turn allowed our forwards to get on the scoreboard, guys like Jordan Bourke and Justin Clarke were excellent,” Harding explained.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rookies in State squad
April 23, 2013

Brisbane Lions rookies Sam Michael and Jordon Bourke have been named in the NEAFL Northern Conference (QLD/NT) representative squad, which will face off against the best of the SANFL in Adelaide next month.

It is due reward for the born-and-bred Queensland pair, who have played key roles in the Lions Reserves’ undefeated start to the NEAFL season.

If selected in the final team, it will be Bourke’s first opportunity to represent his home State at senior level – although he was part of the Queensland Scorpions’ U16 and U18 Championships side.

Well done Jordon, do yourself proud.:thumbsu:

Rookies on the rise
7 June 2013
Sam Lord

The Brisbane Lions recruiting team saw enough in Jordon Bourke and Nick Hayes to suggest both could be valuable long-term prospects for the Club. Bourke was fresh from a modest campaign with Queensland in the 2012 U18 National Championship.

Six months into their debut season with the Lions, and the Club couldn’t be happier with their progress. “Bourkey has played predominantly at full-back, although we’ve tried him at centre half-back at time to get him higher up the ground,” Lions Reserves Coach Leigh Harding told lions.com.au.
“He played most of his junior footy as a natural forward, but his defensive stuff has been very good. When he goes to mark and intercept the ball, he does launch at the ball like a forward, and he rarely gets beaten one-on-one. "He still has a way to go in terms of positioning, but has improved a lot since Round 1.

Bourke has enjoyed his new-found role in defence, and believes it has helped him become a more rounded footballer. “It’s been really different to playing forward, but at the same time it’s been good,” he said. “Playing as a defender obviously helps your defensive game. I think my time as forward has also helped because you can judge plays a bit better knowing where forwards tend to lead. “I’m loving it down back so much that I would almost consider myself a full-time defender now.”

Bourke_Training-hero.jpg

Bourke's case for defence.

Brisbane Lions rookie Jordon Bourke seems to be enjoying the spoils that come with playing in defence.

As a junior, Bourke played exclusively up forward, where he experienced first-hand the types of tactics used by close-checking defenders.

The 193cm Queensland has since put that knowledge to good use in his newfound role with the Lions Reserves’ backline in the NEAFL.

In his 11 State League matches so far this season, Bourke has effected 79 spoils – 13 more than any other player across both the NEAFL Northern and Eastern Conferences.

What makes the statistic even more impressive is the fact the Lions Reserves average the least amount of Inside 50s against (44) in the NEAFL, meaning he’s probably seen less action than most of his fellow State League defenders.

As well as being a dour defender, Bourke has also proven capable with the ball in his hands and averages 17 disposals per game at an efficiency rate of 84%.

A stunning 14-mark display by the 18-year-old during last Friday’s match against Sydney in Blacktown saw him named at centre half-back in the Round 15 NEAFL Team of the Week.

For the ressie watchers, how is Bourke tracking along compared to how Clarke was this time last year?

Where are your club's rookies at?

Jordon Bourke

The first-year key position defender from the Gold Coast has been solid in the reserves. Played a majority of the season at centre half-back – and was swung forward last week - and with the Lions still on the hunt for key talls, should get another year or two to develop.

Lions' Bourke on Rookie Season

While he is yet to play a senior game since his selection, the son of former Geelong and Brisbane ruckman Damian, has been doing everything he can to crack the main list.

Coming back for his second pre-season, Bourke said he was more prepared for the physical toll ahead of season 2014, after following an individual off-season program created by the Lions coaching staff.

“With the knowledge you get in your first year, you can prepare your body for what’s coming,” he said. "So, instead of blowing yourself up early, you sort of know what to expect and understand it"

At 193cm and 85kg, Bourke said he was still looking to add some muscle to his frame in his second season, with the ultimate goal of notching up a senior AFL game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back