Traded Josh Bruce

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce's kicking last night was flawless, with 6 straight. In particular two of them that were thread the needle banana kicks. Very precise with all goal kicking tonight.

And with his kicking is his one grab marking. He definitely sticks the ball and if he can't make the contest to take the mark, he does hit the pack hard to bring the ball to the ground for our smalls. Let their be no comments of him moving to the back line again.

Love YA post sunshine but I'm gonna be a party pooper and say that I think Bruce kicked 6.1 but those 2 bananas were bloody good though.

Robbo's "like" in his likes and dislikes article this morning:

3. Josh Bruce

They call him Bruce. The one-time defender has become a key forward under Alan Richardson and his six goals against the Suns were pleasing. Pleasing because the last key forward to kick six goals and not be named Nick Riewoldt was probably Plugger. Bruce is a natural. He can mark, kick straight and takes the heat off the skipper.

Um,
Koschitske
Gehrig
Heatley (in a PF!)
Hall

3. Josh Bruce

They call him Bruce. The one-time defender has become a key forward under Alan Richardson and his six goals against the Suns were pleasing. Pleasing because the last key forward to kick six goals and not be named Nick Riewoldt was probably Plugger. Bruce is a natural. He can mark, kick straight and takes the heat off the skipper.

Um,
Koschitske
Gehrig
Heatley (in a PF!)
Hall
Robbo was that drunk he cant remember the 90s ans 2000s

3. Josh Bruce

Um,
Koschitske
Gehrig
Heatley (in a PF!)
Hall
Did Stewart Lowe kick 6 at any point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On that one, in fairness, he did say "key forward".

Thanks for adding Stewie Loewe, Nutsngum and saintbill

Any others post-Plugger key forwards who kicked six:

Koschitske
Gehrig
Heatley (in a PF!)
Hall
Loewe
Hamill?

Also filling the stanley role who always was top 20 in this stat
image.jpg

Just quietly, Josh Bruce is third on the Coleman race at the end of Round 4. He's got 12, Franklin and McCarthy are equal second on 13, and Kennedy is on top at 16.

Quickly becoming not only mine, but also a fan favourite. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong when first trialled him as a forward, I had him penciled in as just your servicble defender who may eventually be replaced by Goddard and linger on the list for a few years as a handy depth player. I thought he went to all the wrong places in the forward line, lacked the marking power and the goal nous. How stupid do I look now, as well as a host of other Saints fans.

I just love his awkward, uncoordinated, lanky style he brings. He doesn't look like your general modern key forward, then all of a sudden boom! He's split a pack in 2 with a huge grab before slotting one straight from 50! He's really good at doubling back on leads and getting to the right spot to receive marks, yet he's quite sneaky at losing his man and finding the ground balls to set up team mates. He's learnt a lot from Riewoldt that's for sure. Definitely achieving cult hero status rapidly, not only amongst Saints but in the AFL in general.

Anyway this is just an appreciation thread and a game by game progression thread. Feel free to post memorable highlights or stats in here for the big boy.

Also I wonder how long until Saints fans start the inevitable "BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" cheer

Watched his game closely on Sunday to see how he has been doing it he does look awkward and unlikely type but very effective regardless reminds me a bit of Crameri but better overhead who do you rate more long term Macartin or Bruce as a goal kicking forward?

I never had any doubt that he'd be a very good player for the club, but to be honest I thought it would be as a backman/swingman, even though he was a really good forward at junior level.

I think he does most things right as a forward, he runs hard, gets to the right spots, is good on the lead and takes a great pack mark. Not to mention he is also a good shot at goal.

If McCartin comes along like we hope and Bruce comes along like he has been, we will have one of the best forward lines in the comp.

I do wonder, if Bruce had played forward last year with the same results, would we still have picked McCartin at 1?

Form is worth more than potential so right this minute Bruce is in the drivers seat.

Well it's a matter of opinion, but if that were the case then just about anyone playing senior football are ahead of McCartin.

Bruce has been fantastic this year, but if you ask me to predict who will have a better career I would say McCartin, and that is totally based on potential.

I never had any doubt that he'd be a very good player for the club, but to be honest I thought it would be as a backman/swingman, even though he was a really good forward at junior level.

I think he does most things right as a forward, he runs hard, gets to the right spots, is good on the lead and takes a great pack mark. Not to mention he is also a good shot at goal.

If McCartin comes along like we hope and Bruce comes along like he has been, we will have one of the best forward lines in the comp.

I do wonder, if Bruce had played forward last year with the same results, would we still have picked McCartin at 1?
I think we still would've picked McCartin. It wasn't a good year for midfielders so might as well solidify the forward line and start loading up on midfielders from 2015 and on. I think we saw Paddy as best available anyway.

Yes because Paddy has the goods to play CHF.

Yes because Paddy has the goods to play CHF.

I think we still would've picked McCartin. It wasn't a good year for midfielders so might as well solidify the forward line and start loading up on midfielders from 2015 and on. I think we saw Paddy as best available anyway.

I'm definitely happy we went with McCartin. I'm just not sure that we thought he was the best available. I think the reason we chose him had a lot to do with realising how hard it would be to recruit a key forward in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back