Toast Josh Caddy

Remove this Banner Ad

A Hawthorn supporter on the main board said Caddy reminds them of a young Hodge.

I've been a big fan of Cadds since we got him, but what is noticeable this season is that the gap between his worst and best is getting smaller. He's only had less than 20 possessions five times this season and just once since round 7. This latter stat also demonstrates that he stepped up big time in Duncan's absence.

I've said it before but he has all the tools to become a truly elite midfielder. I think at this point the worst case scenario is he will end up a 200 game player. He has the potential to be a genuine superstar though.

A Hawthorn supporter on the main board said Caddy reminds them of a young Hodge.

I've been a big fan of Cadds since we got him, but what is noticeable this season is that the gap between his worst and best is getting smaller. He's only had less than 20 possessions five times this season and just once since round 7. This latter stat also demonstrates that he stepped up big time in Duncan's absence.

I've said it before but he has all the tools to become a truly elite midfielder. I think at this point the worst case scenario is he will end up a 200 game player. He has the potential to be a genuine superstar though.

At the equivalent stage of his career, Hodge was AA. I see no similarities at all. Cadds is becoming a good player, though.

Money well spent recruiting Caddy. Future captain material too

Doing well is young Cads, gradual improvement every year he's been here, his disposal is diabolical at times needs to clean that up,

People will point at his stats and say he's going well, but he's had little to no impact in games were we haven't dominated. Poor turnovers lead directly to 3 goals this week just past. Still very hopeful for him, but I think he's lowest pegging now out of Guthrie, Duncan, Motlop and blicavs. was probably our number 2 mid last season.

He's been ok. Certainly been more disappointing if anything.
Really had high hopes for Josh.
I Thought he could elevate his game but he's really playing no different to what he was the last couple of seasons which is C+/B-.
We still rely on Selwood and Dangerfield far too heavily.
It is why we won't come close to winning the premiership this season.

Who would you guys say have been our big improvers this year? Not necessarily a Guthrie who was relatively sound last year but perhaps your McCarthys or maybe Langs..

Who would you guys say have been our big improvers this year? Not necessarily a Guthrie who was relatively sound last year but perhaps your McCarthys or maybe Langs..

Probably Kersten, no one else has really jumped up a level, guys like Lang and Cockatoo as like 10-15% better on last year.
McCarthy isn't better, he was just playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stanley is better than last year. The stats don't tell you the whole story but he's certainly improved.
Kersten, Cockatoo, McCarthy, Guthrie have improved. Blicavs has probably elevated his game ever so slightly as well.
All these guys let themselves down last week though.

Selwood has also improved from last year's output.

He's been ok. Certainly been more disappointing if anything.
Really had high hopes for Josh.
I Thought he could elevate his game but he's really playing no different to what he was the last couple of seasons which is C+/B-.
We still rely on Selwood and Dangerfield far too heavily.
It is why we won't come close to winning the premiership this season.

I see his year and last year as being more of a B/B+,

It's hard to judge him as he's getting less time in the guts, he's still getting his 20+ touches and 10 CP a game. Clearances are down (naturally) but he's only been goalless once this year which is a big plus in my books. He not doing much wrong.

It's hard to judge him as he's getting less time in the guts, he's still getting his 20+ touches and 10 CP a game. Clearances are down (naturally) but he's only been goalless once this year which is a big plus in my books. He not doing much wrong.

He's not close to a B+.
We are talking top line footballers when they get to that level. Caddy has done absolutely nothing! Not a god damn thing in his whole career to date to warrant such high praise.
I know as Geelong supporters we tend to overrate our own players but let's be serious here, he's had one 30+ possession game (this year) where he booted 2 goals. He has not come close to it since.

Until he can put together consistent performances through one single season of football, that is when we should really start to bracket him as a B+/A grader.

A lot of our older guys are having better seasons - Selwood, Taylor, Bartel, perhaps Enright (amazing), Mackie and Hawkins.

That, adding a few quality quality players from outside the club, plus Menzel and McCarthy playing, has been the catalyst for the rise up the ladder.

The young fringe guys - Lang etc - are only improving quite slowly.

What he's done up forward this year has been really impactful. He always snags a goal and his physical presence is immense.

Caddy has been fine-does his job-he is never going to be a Selwood or Dangerfield. Think he is better than previous years. Try not to just measure someone's worth by stats. Does a lot of good work inside the packs, always where the ball is, never misses a goal which is pretty big plus in our team!

I like him. But I don't actually know what his role is.
He definitely goes missing. Don't know if that's his doing or the way the coach is using him.

Rnd 1 vs Hawks - 21 touches, 4 tackles, 3 goals.

Rnd 2 vs Giants - 17 touches, 6 tackles, 1 goal.

Rnd 3 vs Lions - 15 touches, 5 tackles, 0.2. (Judging by the stats one of the only midfielders from the Cats not to influence the game too much).

Rnd 4 vs Bombers - 23 touches, 6 tackles, 1 goal.

Rnd 5 vs Port - 22 touches, 4 tackles, 1 goal.

Rnd 6 vs Suns - 31 touches, 4 tackles, 2 goals.

Rnd 7 vs Eagles - 26 touches, 4 tackles, 1 goal.

Rnd 8 vs Crows - 21 touches, 7 tackles, 1 goal.

Rnd 9 vs Magpies - 21 touches, 6 tackles, 1 goal.

I guess the good thing we are seeing is that he has so far seemed to gotten better at having his bad games not too poor. He's impacting the scoreboard which is good. He dominated the Suns but everyone did. Likes to tackle which is great.

What we really need is a 'Guthrie performance' where Selwood/Danger may not be doing as much & Caddy just comes out & puts on a masterclass with 30-35+ touches, lots of tackles & a couple goals as well, preferably in a big game too.

Sure it'd be good for his confidence if he absolutely dominates Carlton, but if he can do it against GWS or North (or both) in the next couple of weeks then look out :thumbsu:

Probably be a two hundred game player for us, and a good one at that, but simply lacks the footy smarts to ever elevate himself to the elite level, if he could add the composure of a Pendlebury to his physical attributes he'd be as good as just about any mid going round, but it ain't gonna happen unfortunately so we'll just have to be content with him being a good/very good player and nothing more I suspect.

Hodge had far more poise and overall feel for the game from the start of his career. Like FredLeDeux I just can't see any similarity. A poor man's Bartel is about at close a description as I can think of. Good player, but lots of deficiencies.

Probably be a two hundred game player for us, and a good one at that, but simply lacks the footy smarts to ever elevate himself to the elite level, if he could add the composure of a Pendlebury to his physical attributes he'd be as good as just about any mid going round, but it ain't gonna happen unfortunately so we'll just have to be content with him being a good/very good player and nothing more I suspect.
I think he has heaps of smarts.
There are many areas where he is different than pendles, but here's one big one.
Pendles looks to kick, and then handballs quickly if he doesn't see an option.

Caddy looks for a runner to handball to and then kicks when there isn't one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back