Toast Josh Gibson - 150 games

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember seeing him play for Port Melbourne reserves in maybe 2003/2004. Was just a medium built flanker from memory. If someone had of said then he would end up bing the player he is today I would have been very surprised. Seemed to have talent but not to the extent of what he is now.
A great story to achieve 150 games.

I remember he had that head injury in 2007 where he slipped and fell from his bath tub or somthing like that and he ended up missing like half a season that year.

Didn't play any games in 2005 because he was still on North Melbourne's rookie list at the time, but got elevated towards the end of that 2005 season but only played a handful of games in 06, and when he came to our club in 2010 he severely tore his hamstring in Round 3 that year and ended up missing about 11 games.

Yeah, I spose those sort of interruptions add up.

Was just thinking, compared to someone like Roughy for example, Gibbo is 3 or so years older and has played 30 odd games less. Since he's been at the Hawks (apart from injury), he's been a certain starter, so I was wondering if he was a late bloomer.

Yeah, I spose those sort of interruptions add up.

Was just thinking, compared to someone like Roughy for example, Gibbo is 3 or so years older and has played 30 odd games less. Since he's been at the Hawks (apart from injury), he's been a certain starter, so I was wondering if he was a late bloomer.

He didn't get drafted as an 18 year old, he was about 21 or 22 when he got picked up so he missed a good 4 years or so. He was rookied after good performances at Port Melbourne.

He didn't get drafted as an 18 year old, he was about 21 or 22 when he got picked up so he missed a good 4 years or so. He was rookied after good performances at Port Melbourne.

OK, Wow! Thanks for filling in the gaps for me. I'm even more impressed with, and happy for the guy that has overcome those obstacles as well. Respect!

OK, Wow! Thanks for filling in the gaps for me. I'm even more impressed with, and happy for the guy that has overcome those obstacles as well. Respect!

I'm also impressed. Just goes to show, persistence pays off. I bet there were many times along the way when he thought his football career might not reach any great heights and yet look what he has now achieved. Well done and all power to him :thumbsu:

Gibson has been nothing short of sensational since he crossed over from North and came back from the badly-torn hamstring in 2010. One of our greatest recruits from another club. Up there with Russell Greene and Paul Salmon. He has been wonderfully consistent in his 84 games for Hawthorn and one of the most underrated players in the AFL, judging from his lack of All-Australian honours.

If you look past Hawthorn's halcyon days from 1986-1989, we've been as strong as at any time in the club's history from 2011-2013 and Gibson has finished runner-up and won the best and fairest in 2 of those 3 seasons.

It's odd that he's won a B&F in a premiership side, yet is still so underrated.

I still read and hear comments along the lines of "Gibson doesn't play on an opponent". It's amazing how many people comment on football, yet clearly don't watch it closely enough.

Has been an immense pick up.

It's odd that he's won a B&F in a premiership side, yet is still so underrated.

I still read and hear comments along the lines of "Gibson doesn't play on an opponent". It's amazing how many people comment on football, yet clearly don't watch it closely enough.

Has been an immense pick up.

But Hodge, Birchall, Stratton and Lake don't play on anyone either!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Kudos to Gibbo, as others have said great pickup. I recall loving having gotten him, but then worrying as he struggled in the big games against really tough opposition like the Cats (similar to a number of his teammates!). All of them have grown and learnt together and got the ultimate reward last year. Let's hope they keep learning!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well played gibbo...loved and adored by all the robbins clan and associates in perth! his game on Friday was outstanding...may get back to back f&b's!

When the shoe has played forward he has hit the packs with relish.
Quite a contrast from his approach down back
Gunner bruest and hill will love lapping up the spilled balls that he creates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back