Josh Gibson - Where will he rate?

Remove this Banner Ad

What?
I mentioned that Gibson has limitations in his 1-on-1 defence.

You countered by going to the complete opposite extreme.
So I responded by listed 4 guys who are all balanced defenders, but are all far superior to Gibson in 1-1 defence, and would all be rated higher than him as defenders.

If it was 1981 then your one-on-one defender doesnt need other skills.

But its not. And they do need other skills. While Gibbo is a little down in the one-on-one he excels in other areas. Far superior to most of his contemporaries.

Of course people who disagree are free to offer up some names... ?

I love the whole Gibson is no good 1 on 1 myth.

He struggles to play on cloke/hawkins types, but that's not his role. He IS able to play on bigger players like this if required though and will usually compete hard.

The above is the only thing he can't do elite. He is amazing at defending any other size player, at reading the play, knowing when to leave his man, spoiling, providing drive / rebound and his inside game when the ball is congested is as good as a midfielders.

Yet because he only "battles hard" against KPF with 10cm and 10kg on him hes no good?

If he could beat those guys consistently Gibson would be scarlett good. Your freakin lucky he cant.

Is there a player in the AFL who inspires more validation seeking from his own fans than Josh Gibson?

He's alright, but Jesus. Year after year. We get it.

The fact that you refer to him as "alright" is possibly the reason why validation is sought.

Gibson is "alright" in the same way that Darren Glass was "serviceable"

And so it continues.
Feel free to discredit your opinion and football intelligence by not rating Gibson all you want. Its fine by me.

If you want to pretend that he is an "alright" player, ignoring his consistency and the massive impact he has on helping his side defend to a premiership standard, be my guest.

There is not one west coast defender better than him, thats for sure. McGovern might get there.. but too early to tell.

Feel free to discredit your opinion and football intelligence by not rating Gibson all you want. Its fine by me.

If you want to pretend that he is an "alright" player, ignoring his consistency and the massive impact he has on helping his side defend to a premiership standard, be my guest.

There is not one west coast defender better than him, thats for sure. McGovern might get there.. but too early to tell.

You just don't get it, do you? Who cares how highly I rate Gibson? I mean if I think he's the worst player in your 22 does it make any difference?

He's a good, consistent player who plays his role very well. What his role is and how much importance is placed on that role has always been up for debate.

If he was at West Coast he'd take the spot of Brad Sheppard or Will Schofield easily. If you think we'd pick him over Mackenzie or McGovern you're very wrong.

A very good 3rd defender. The 2 B&Fs are a bit of an anomaly. Sometimes the set up of these awards reward things other than the best player. He goes well but isn't a champ in the mould of Mitchell or Hodge. He isn't one of the top few KPD in the comp. As good as he is he has been right place right time and benefited from playing in such a strong team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very good 3rd defender. The 2 B&Fs are a bit of an anomaly. Sometimes the set up of these awards reward things other than the best player. He goes well but isn't a champ in the mould of Mitchell or Hodge. He isn't one of the top few KPD in the comp. As good as he is he has been right place right time and benefited from playing in such a strong team.

So like Enright?

So like Enright?
No I class Enright as a genuine champion. One of the best HBs I have seen. He would be fantastic in any team he played for. Gibson is more of a role player for me. Fits in beautifully to what he has to do and is very good in his own right but has been made to look even better because of the players around him. Enrightis more in the group who make others around them look better than they are. If I had to pick a Geelong defender I would rate similarly Mackie would be the one

I am not knocking Gibson, he is very good, but is a middling player in Hawthorns 22 and not part of the real cream. The stars would be Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Burgoyne, Roughy, Gunston, Breust, Lake, Rioli off the top of my head. Gee you are a great team though.

No I class Enright as a genuine champion. One of the best HBs I have seen. He would be fantastic in any team he played for. Gibson is more of a role player for me. Fits in beautifully to what he has to do and is very good in his own right but has been made to look even better because of the players around him. Enrightis more in the group who make others around them look better than they are. If I had to pick a Geelong defender I would rate similarly Mackie would be the one

I am not knocking Gibson, he is very good, but is a middling player in Hawthorns 22 and not part of the real cream. The stars would be Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Burgoyne, Roughy, Gunston, Breust, Lake, Rioli off the top of my head. Gee you are a great team though.
Not as good as Enright but he shits on Mackie imo.

Oh yeah of course......

Gibson is a champion and it's beyond dispute. If he's below Enright then well and good but he's all sorts of levels above Mackie.

Oh yeah of course......

Gibson is a champion and it's beyond dispute. If he's below Enright then well and good but he's all sorts of levels above Mackie.
Why so defensive

Mackie a 3x premiership player, 235 games ,who at 31 yo has just been given a 2 year contract extension, who has had multiple high finishes in B&Fs, who has been AA, who is an important but by no means the most vital cog in the defence of one of the greatest teams we have seen is nowhere near the level of Gibson who if we used the above style to describe him would sound almost the same player.

You are overly defensive. For mine Gibson comes in around 10th on your list if I rated the players . It's only an opinion and more than anything reflects what a spectacular bunch of players you have to have so many ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back