Josh Hall to the NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite what most will say, As far as departures go this one stings a fair bit. Bloke gave four years of his life to the club but unfortunately could never live up to his debut.

None the less his name will forever live on in Suns lore for that game (despite not actually being on the field for it)

Top bloke and I hope he succeeds at Penrith, Not many people can say that they've played top flight Aussie Rules and Rugby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Josh was always more interested in RL than Aussie rules. He grew up playing RL in Townsville and was a Cowboys supporter. You don't just lose that because you start playing another sport (or two) professionally. I remember one Suns TV episode where he said the greatest rivalry in world sport is State of Origin, so obviously he's a passionate Queenslander that loves RL. His most recent instagram post shows him and his friends watching RL:

What position will he play?

I think he'll most likely play on the wing. He's quick and tall so he could end being in the Izzy Folau mould if he can finally put on a bit of muscle.

At the end of the day he was drafted as a project player due to his height and jumping ability. It's not like it's a huge blow to the Suns because he was never really up to it anyway but I wish him luck in his rugby league endeavours. I'd actually really like to see him line up for the Queensland Maroons one day. I think that would be cool to see and I'm sure it's a dream of his.

Good on him! Had a crack, never really quite made it. But still gave it a crack, Will keep an eye on his career in RL.

I am with you on this one. The guy gave it his best over the 4 years on the GCS list. We are all armchair critics who have never played at the top level.

Good luck to him in the future and I hope he absolutely smashed it!

Waste of a list spot for 4 years. Was never ever going to make it.

That's not his fault though obviously.
To be fair, he spent three of those years on the rookie list. I think the Suns gave him as much opportunity as they possibly could but he's not the first project player to fail. I'm sure he gave it his all and it was a small price to pay by keeping him on the rookie list. It's the kind of developmental model I'd like to see all clubs adopt when they draft a project player. It's just something that comes with the territory up in Queensland. Kurt Tippett and Charlie Dixon played basketball, Zac Smith played soccer, Joel Wilkinson played soccer and tennis, Clay Cameron did discus, Rory Thompson played rugby league etc.

Matchu what makes me angry at the club is that Joel Wilkinson had ten times the game-sense and heart of Hall. Still hate that we let him go.
Wilko was a physical specimen we may never see again. He adapted very quickly in just about every sport that he tried and was the strongest player at the club, despite only being 21 at the time. He always won the time trials and held the bench press record. However, I think the Suns depth when it came to players around his height cost him. If Joel was 3-4 inches taller then he would have been kept. That's why J.Hall stayed as long as he did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back