Toast Josh Jenkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
One thing I love about Jenkins is that he just doesn't know how to drop his head. Pretty much every game he doesn't something stupid, or goes soft into a contest, or something - but then next thing you know he's right back into it scoring goals. Having that kind of boundless confidence is a very handy trait for a FF :thumbsu:

Love the way he goes about it.

JJ IMO has still more upside too, he is reading the game better and making smarter decisions.

I wasnt happy though that he kicked to Betts with a 2 on 1 in the goal square but he will improve tactically. Made some smart moves by not tackling last night, it was obvious he backed out of tackling a guy to avoid head high contact.

I wish he would throw his weight around, he is just as big as Cloke or Dawes.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
JJ IMO has still more upside too, he is reading the game better and making smarter decisions.

I wasnt happy though that he kicked to Betts with a 2 on 1 in the goal square but he will improve tactically. Made some smart moves by not tackling last night, it was obvious he backed out of tackling a guy to avoid head high contact.

I wish he would throw his weight around, he is just as big as Cloke or Dawes.
It was a good option he just hesitated half a second and that's all it took for the Pies defenders to close in on Eddie.

Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jenkins fend off goal is an AFL goal of the week. Voting for it is currently at above 40% and leading.

Great work!

His game on Thursday was at a level I hoped he would be at by the end of the year/start of 2015.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
Jenkins fend off goal is an AFL goal of the week. Voting for it is currently at above 40% and leading.

Great work!

His game on Thursday was at a level I hoped he would be at by the end of the year/start of 2015.

And yet it didn't make any of the Ed and Derm goals of the week... Also no longer leading. The Freo fans have turned up.

Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
I love Leeroy. Been pumping his tyres since his first tap over the top to Johncock running through 50 and then his performance the following week (I think?) against Carlton at Etihad.

Growing game by game and started to get the respect his effort and ability deserve. Big guys his size take longer to develop, but he's going to peak in the next few years and then dominate for 3 or 4.

Love the way, when the play calls for it, he 'posts up' on the left flank 60m out about 10m in from the boundary. Cracks me up as its so obvious he is doing that (posting up).

Sir Vlado

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
For what it's worth, Hutchy on Footy Classified thinks he's one of best forwards going around in the competition, and then assumed Lloyd had some sort of bias against him. A bit of recognition already here for JJ from across the border.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Also been the Jenkins train early on in 2012 when he first came onto the scene. Just loved the way he moved for a big man.

Biggest thing for me is that he's always had the skill set tied in with the athletic ability to succeed at this level. It's a very similar situation to Ricky Henderson. It was just going to take time with guys like these to put all the pieces together themselves. Just those little things that he needed to learn over time like adhering to structures, when and where to lead, defensive pressure etc.

May be jumping the gun just a tad here, but I've had high hopes for this guy from day one and he's been delivering the goods so far this season. Keep it up JJ!

Tex Support

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Houston, UT Longhorns
Daresay not far from being as effective as his predecessor was at his best, not to mention JJ's consistency has been one of his more impressive points in recent times.
I always thought Tippetts ruck work was his most valuable quality. If Jenkins can improve that (and he's got plenty of scope to do so), I reckon he'll be better than Tippett over the journey. He's much more of a natural footballer. Scary to think what Josh will look like after 3 or 4 more preseasons....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
JJ would have to be oe of the most competitive and one of the most athletic of the tall forwards. If he can improve his rucking he will be a damn hard match up. What I want to see more is his absolute obsession to get front spot and clunk those big marks.

Great pick up, if only contractually the club had been as astute as our recruiters

6BTS

Club Legend
May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, King James
The Ed and Derm show is the most irrelevant footy show on TV. Just a vehicle to inflate those two massive egos even further.

It was a good option he just hesitated half a second and that's all it took for the Pies defenders to close in on Eddie.

Yeah, he had to go straight away or recognize too much time had past before he reacted and go back and have ping. Although Eddie seems to be the sort of guy that shows frustration if you don't give him the ball when he thinks he deserves it. I'm only saying that because there was a moment in the 3rd quarter I think where someone was running toward goal pressed against the boundary, Eddie was like 2 meters in front of him and was wanting the hand ball but the guy took a shot and missed. It was the right option, but Eddie was visibly annoyed he wasn't given the ball.

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
Yeah, he had to go straight away or recognize too much time had past before he reacted and go back and have ping. Although Eddie seems to be the sort of guy that shows frustration if you don't give him the ball when he thinks he deserves it. I'm only saying that because there was a moment in the 3rd quarter I think where someone was running toward goal pressed against the boundary, Eddie was like 2 meters in front of him and was wanting the hand ball but the guy took a shot and missed. It was the right option, but Eddie was visibly annoyed he wasn't given the ball.

It was Thompson, and the right option was probably handballing it to Eddie, as he was in the clear and would have waltzed straight in to an open goal, where as Thompson had opponents all over him.

No one will benefit from Walker's return more than Jenkins.

Will get to play on some utter spuds from here on in

Just wait for Pods, he was commanding the opposition two best defenders each week at the start of the year in marking contests.
When Tex gets his touch back, just wait for Pods to deliver. He did well at the Cats because he was number 2 to Hawkins.

We have yet to see the best of Pods by far.

Skippy231

Club Legend
Nov 21, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District FC
If his ruckwork can improve by 10%, I think he is a better player than Tippett and has more upside (and a lot cheaper). Our forward structure suddenly looks very potent with Tex, JJ and Pod. At least we have the big weapons and the small crumbers to be dangerous in our fwd 50. Wait until we get Lynch, Hendo and Crouch in the 22 and it is a pretty even team across the ground

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I have been slightly miffed by the lack of respect he's been given by some for his good performances lately. Saw more than a few "You know you're having a shocker when Josh Jenkins kicks a bag against you" type comments direct towards Keefe last week.

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have been slightly miffed by the lack of respect he's been given by some for his good performances lately. Saw more than a few "You know you're having a shocker when Josh Jenkins kicks a bag against you" type comments direct towards Keefe last week.
Let them hate ;)

moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
:)
For what it's worth, Hutchy on Footy Classified thinks he's one of best forwards going around in the competition, and then assumed Lloyd had some sort of bias against him. A bit of recognition already here for JJ from across the border.
Garry Lyon also said Adelaide Oval is the home of football at this point in time

Rear Admiral

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Great 1st game for JJ looks like he is going to be a good player:thumbsu:
Most improvement I've seen in anyone for a long, long time. And then some. What I'm particularly pleased with is the fact that he's finally learning to use his strength and explosive speed, once the ball hits the deck. A lot of big blokes are often one-trick-ponies, where they're good in the air, but not much else. Not so with JJ. I wanted him shifted from up Forward, but am glad to admit I was wrong.

Not arguing that he's our best or worst, or whatever. But from where he's come from to where he is now? Definitely the biggest change.

Not arguing that he's our best or worst, or whatever. But from where he's come from to where he is now? Definitely the biggest change.

The way he has played the last few games, a 3 year deal should have been given. I reckon he got unders in his contract too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back