Toast Josh Jenkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Given we are talking 100+ games to 30+ games im happy with his output.

Given that he did not come through a traditional footy pathway I think it adds even more weight to his performances

There is still plenty of upside left in his game

Given that he did not come through a traditional footy pathway I think it adds even more weight to his performances

JJ has played footy since he was a little tacker. I remember coaching an under 11 side and he was playing for an opposing team. He was a gun junior but an even better basketballer hence his time in the NBL. He played a lot of senior country footy before being rookied by essendon then over to you blokes

1 hit out on the weekend :eek:

Needs to do more in the ruck. Help Sauce out, let him rest on occasions.

Looking the goods up forward though :)

His hit out stats don't bother me terribly much, as what he seems to be doing really well is nullifying the effectiveness of the opposition ruck and the competing really well when the ball hits the ground. He makes his presence felt which is something Jacobs doesn't do particularly well, he's more the Dean Cox style, but is the basis of the success of rucks like Minson, Hudson and Mumford. Whilst it would be nice to see Jenkins win more taps, I don't think our clearance numbers are suffering.

Must admit Jenkins has been very impressive in the last three rounds. Has a few kinks to iron out but he's shown more value than any of our other tall forwards excluding Walker.

I just don't want to go too crazy just yet. The last three games we're against St Kilda, GWS and Footscray.

Must admit Jenkins has been very impressive in the last three rounds. Has a few kinks to iron out but he's shown more value than any of our other tall forwards excluding Walker.

I just don't want to go too crazy just yet. The last three games we're against St Kilda, GWS and Footscray.
Yep, let's give him one more game before we get all crazy like. ;)

true, but I can't think of too many teams with guys big enough AND fast enough to really cover him. Provided our midfield can get the ball down there he'll create scoring opportunities.

Big Leeroy doing a great job for us at the moment.

let's take a look at what he's done since Tippet left.. compared with Tippet himself since he left.

He gets a bit more of it, tippet wins a few more contests and kicks more goals at present (on average).
Tippet also played many of those games at the SCG, perfect for his style of footy.

Interesting to see Josh getting more HO, but to be fair to Kurt he hasn't played much in the ruck. To be unfair on him.. but with a good view of it from our clubs view.. he hasn't played much at all really!

Leeroy does a few more of the 1%'s and definitely likes a run and bounce.

View attachment 53940

I like that he averages 0.4 more bounces per game. I love seeing the big boy have a bounce. Looks like he's taking it easy but he covers the ground so quickly

An enormous amount of upside....has barely scratched the surface....I'd be interested in comparing his stats over the last three weeks to those of the ten million dollar man

There's one other thing in favour of Jenkins in comparison with Tippett; he costs a lot less of our salary cap.

yeah and Jenkins won't be injured all the time like Tippett is....good old Tippett seems to spend an enormous time injured on the sideline and then if you take into account the games he doesn't do much it probably leaves about 25% of the year where he actually earns his money....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His hit out stats don't bother me terribly much, as what he seems to be doing really well is nullifying the effectiveness of the opposition ruck and the competing really well when the ball hits the ground. He makes his presence felt which is something Jacobs doesn't do particularly well, he's more the Dean Cox style, but is the basis of the success of rucks like Minson, Hudson and Mumford. Whilst it would be nice to see Jenkins win more taps, I don't think our clearance numbers are suffering.

I agree, when Jenkins it almost seems like he concedes that he won't win the tap, but attempts to nullify the opposition ruckman and then backs himself in to win it at ground level more often. Definitely plays to his strengths.

I'd like to see him jumping knees first into the opposition ruckman. Particularly if his name is Will Minson.
lacks the instinct to try and hurt people, which in general I don't mind, but seeing as our whole team and especially Dangerfield seem to be getting targeted by the whole competition as soft targets I'd love to add a bit of mongrel to our game (which I do think we are seeing more of slowly but surely, but we can't stop yet).

I was a bit concerned about JJ mid way through last season after his promising moments in 2012 but I have to say he has developed again over the break and hopefully has more to find. Certainly is a producing the output that Tippett was producing in the last few years, can probably say we don't miss KT at all with the role JJ is playing and despite his wayward kicking at time I put that down to just a bit of laziness rather than technique, long term he will be a much better kick at goal than Tippett could ever be as a result.

I was a bit concerned about JJ mid way through last season after his promising moments in 2012 but I have to say he has developed again over the break and hopefully has more to find. Certainly is a producing the output that Tippett was producing in the last few years, can probably say we don't miss KT at all with the role JJ is playing and despite his wayward kicking at time I put that down to just a bit of laziness rather than technique, long term he will be a much better kick at goal than Tippett could ever be as a result.

now if we could just get those draft pick back....

Just as an aside WCE's Kennedy has had shocking conversion this year. Last year he was really good.

All forwards have bad periods.

JJ will work out his set shots just like Kennedy will.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

He just needs to break even and give the oppisition ruckman a tail to chase around the ground. Kick a couple goals and create a few for betts and co and he is doing everything (insert name i dont say anymore) ever did with out thinking he is gods gift to footy

I find him frustrating to watch at times, as he still fails to get his body behind the ball, and really doesn't play like a guy his size should. He needs to work out that he's the heaviest guy on the field and can throw his weight around a bit. I hate seeing guys his size run past the ball. Those taps he does are beautiful, but only when they work out. I'd often prefer if he just ran straight through the ball and took the inevitable contact. It's football, not basketball. You're allowed to charge and block. He tends to guard space rather than go in for tackles, too.

Overall, he's been a great pickup, and he's in my best 22, but I just wish he had a bit more of an aggressive side. He'd be an absolute superstar. That play everyone references in the North Melbourne game, where he busted through the pack and kept the ball moving is the kind of stuff he should be doing all the time, at his size. Imagine athleticism, combined with the attitude of someone like Ben Hudson. He'd dominate!

In short, sack Clarke.

I find him frustrating to watch at times, as he still fails to get his body behind the ball, and really doesn't play like a guy his size should. He needs to work out that he's the heaviest guy on the field and can throw his weight around a bit. I hate seeing guys his size run past the ball. Those taps he does are beautiful, but only when they work out. I'd often prefer if he just ran straight through the ball and took the inevitable contact. It's football, not basketball. You're allowed to charge and block. He tends to guard space rather than go in for tackles, too.

Overall, he's been a great pickup, and he's in my best 22, but I just wish he had a bit more of an aggressive side. He'd be an absolute superstar. That play everyone references in the North Melbourne game, where he busted through the pack and kept the ball moving is the kind of stuff he should be doing all the time, at his size. Imagine athleticism, combined with the attitude of someone like Ben Hudson. He'd dominate!

In short, sack Clarke.
Being aggressive and 'throwing your weight around' aren't really traits you can coach into players. They are either ingrained or they are not. There have been countless numbers of footy players over the years who would have been better players if they had more of a killer instinct (our most recent example is LJ).

At the end of the day, we might have to accept that he's not a pack-crashing CHF but a 198cm forward/ruck whose lack of aggression is compensated by his agility, speed, acceleration and ball skills, thanks in no small part to his basketball background.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back